mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Good job! Encino Velodrome

Not really a mountain bike topic, but whatever. Just wondering if anybody ever does races at the Encino velodrome. I'm probably going to check it out this summer. I"ve never used a track bike before and am probably going to check out one of their skills classes or maybe just show up to open training and try to stay out of everyones way until I figure it out. I've got pretty good bike handling skills on the road and am just looking into trying something new, and its really close to where I live (Simi)

I think they offer bike rentals for $5 too. Sounds pretty sweet.
    Last edited by office; 05-07-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Bored Carp
    If I remember correctly (it has been a while since I was on the track out there), you are required to take a class before you are welcome to join the fun at Encino - there are some pretty specific rules about how you ride the track, and they will want to be sure you understand them before letting you loose on a pack of cyclists moving at high speed with no brakes. :-) Most tracks have the same rules.

Track racing is a LOT of fun. Be prepared to drive like an idiot after you get done. Definitely rent a bike for a while - you don't need much in the way of technology for this kind of racing, unless you decide to pursue the TT disciplines.
    Last edited by chuky; 05-08-2008 at 01:51 PM.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Next beginner class is on May 31st @2:30, so i'll definately check that out. I might drop by and watch people race/practice before then, too. $40 bucks for the class and you're supposed to bring your own pedals/shoes for anyone else interested.
    Last edited by mrchristian; 05-08-2008 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Track racing is a blast, and the basic bike is pretty cheap if you decide to get into it. Be sure to get a big enough gear to keep up. Some of the rental bikes don;t have a large enough gear to compete with others in a group. Many velodromes don't rent bike for mass start events (like ADT Center LA Velodrome).

Hitting a banking at speed is incredible.

Hanve fun.