most memberable
    May 2011

Elfin forest - new trail?

Last spring the docent told me they might be adding a new trail there next spring (a few months a way).

It would connect Escondido Creek Trail with the Equine Incline Loop Trail (I believe) on its western side.

Anybody else hear of this or know its status?

What would (also) really be neat is if they re-connected the Lake Hodges Overlook Loop Trail with the Cielo Trail, similar to what it was back before they installed the new dam.

mtbr member
    There is a trail below the dam still that goes into Cielo. The trail that you mention has been there since before the park existed. I won't name it here, but explore Strava a little and you will find it. The Docent was probably speaking about the possibility that they were going to purchase the parcel that it sits on.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    There is a trail below the dam still that goes into Cielo. The trail that you mention has been there since before the park existed. I won't name it here, but explore Strava a little and you will find it. The Docent was probably speaking about the possibility that they were going to purchase the parcel that it sits on.
    Not sure if I was clear enough...so I attached a picture of the map and drew in a line (in bold red) just to reference where I meant the connection might be (if there weren't anything to infringe on it).

Any actual legal park trail connector below the dam would do....not sure how much adjustment it would take or if it is even possible. I just remember riding it back before the dam was built (90s). Does this make more sense?

Btw, I couldn't find it on Strava. Perhaps you could PM me a link or "point me in a better direction"...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elfin forest - new trail?-elfin-forest-jan-2013.jpg  

Last edited by RTSO2112; 01-08-2013 at 09:31 PM.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    I believe most if not all of that land your proposed trail goes through private land. A majority of it is owned by a Homeowners Association and they were not open to allowing public trails through that area. There is a closed connector marked as "No Trespassing" at the bottom of the Cielo trail about where your red line connects.

A great person to contact for more info is Matt M over on the SDMBA site.

Go here Elfin Forest Forum

and post your question there. He will be usually respond within a day or two.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    I believe most if not all of that land your proposed trail goes through private land. A majority of it is owned by a Homeowners Association and they were not open to allowing public trails through that area. There is a closed connector marked as "No Trespassing" at the bottom of the Cielo trail about where your red line connects.

A great person to contact for more info is Matt M over on the SDMBA site.

Go here Elfin Forest Forum

and post your question there. He will be usually respond within a day or two.
    I was looking at some maps on the ECC.org website...appears there are already "county trails" below the dam that connect the 2 trails in question.....hmmmm....think I will make a trip this weekend to see the docent at EFRR.

Thanks,

RTSO

mtbr member
    There's a trail that comes off the Escondido creek I've ridden before that connects to Equine Loop, it sees light use(horse and bike) and is rather bushy in places but rideable. I think that's where the land has been purchased. All the gates were open last time I did it like 2 years ago. It could use some work in a few places even a bit of re-routing for sustainability. Afriend and I tried it as a possibly easier way up than Way Up, it was no bargain though.

Hopefully the green arrow shows up in the map link
    33.082373,-117.150822 - Google Maps

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    There's a trail that comes off the Escondido creek I've ridden before that connects to Equine Loop, it sees light use(horse and bike) and is rather bushy in places but rideable. I think that's where the land has been purchased. All the gates were open last time I did it like 2 years ago. It could use some work in a few places even a bit of re-routing for sustainability. Afriend and I tried it as a possibly easier way up than Way Up, it was no bargain though.

Hopefully the green arrow shows up in the map link
    33.082373,-117.150822 - Google Maps
    So, not "officially" a EFRR trail, yet. But, might be in the near future. It will probably make for a better ascent to the top trails than the Way Up Trail is now (during week-ends with peak traffic) - as I am sure they will groom/level it some to make it traffic freindly like they did the Way Up Trail in the last 10 years - then descend the Way Up Trail to complete the overall loop. Wait and see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    So, not "officially" a EFRR trail, yet. But, might be in the near future. It will probably make for a better ascent to the top trails than the Way Up Trail is now (during week-ends with peak traffic) - as I am sure they will groom/level it some to make it traffic freindly like they did the Way Up Trail in the last 10 years - then descend the Way Up Trail to complete the overall loop. Wait and see.
    On the plus side, no water bars but there were a couple of steep spots IIRC in the area of the green arrow(maybe below) seems I recall spinning out several times on small rocks nothing a good grooming couldn't cure. It was mostly an old eroded 2-track until around that sharp 90 degree corner to the right of the arrow and somewhere after that went to ST. The ST brushy areas near the top would be a tick fest in spots at the wrong time of year very tight unless cut back and the ground was actually a bit wet in some areas also, maybe some french drains needed. Otherwise it would be much preferred to Way Up for going up. Overall from memory I remember thinking that it seemed steeper than the topo indicated, but it has been awhile.

The trail along the creek had actually washed out that year and had some tough sections also HAB in some spots.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Socal Jack has the trail the docent was talking about correctly marked in Google maps. The County of San Diego was deep into negotiations to purchase the lower 2/3 thirds of the trail, which would have brought it into public use. The County already owns the upper third as a result of land acquisition a couple of years ago known as Cielo Azul. Unfortunately, the deal the County was working on fell through. However, the Escondido Creek Conservancy stepped in and was able to purchase the property. Good news? There will be no homes built between Escondido Creek and EFFR. Bad news? The land is now privately held so it will not be coming online as an official part of the trail system anytime soon.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    I seem to have "stumbled" onto the jungle trail recently that runs along the creek south to Lusardi Canyon. Is that open? It was barely discernible, but sweet.
    If not biking, then what?