mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Elfin Forest or Calavera Lake?

Which is a better place to ride? I haven't ridden either since I moved away from that area almost 9 years ago. I will be staying in Oceanside for a few days after the 1st of the year. Which of those 2 places would you recommend to ride, if you had to choose one? I'm imagining both places have changed considerably since I was last there.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Elfin = still the same climb
    Calavera = more tracks built and some new fun features (built by the same guys who built flight line)

I would go to Calaveras if you are looking for an area that has changed. Plus the area has multiple types of terrain to ride.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Calavera

Sober for now...
    Elfin = Man-chunk.
    Calavera = week sauce

Actually both places are awesome in two completely different ways.
    Hellfin has brutal climbs with awesome chunky descents.
    Calaveras Has brutal climbs with awesome flowy descents.

Hmm... on second thought maybe I'm just biased cause Hellfin is out my back door.
    Last edited by bjammin; 12-06-2012 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwaa View Post
    Which is a better place to ride? I haven't ridden either since I moved away from that area almost 9 years ago. I will be staying in Oceanside for a few days after the 1st of the year. Which of those 2 places would you recommend to ride, if you had to choose one? I'm imagining both places have changed considerably since I was last there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by runningchicken View Post
    Elfin = still the same climb
    Calavera = more tracks built and some new fun features (built by the same guys who built flight line)

I would go to Calaveras if you are looking for an area that has changed. Plus the area has multiple types of terrain to ride.
    Taffy didn't build at Calavera.
    His stuff is much nicer..........

mtbr member
    been to calavera once, it was awesome!

never been to elfin, isnt it just a fireroad up and down?

mtbr member
    do both! or ride from calavera to elfin and bike.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyHuynh View Post
    been to calavera once, it was awesome!

never been to elfin, isnt it just a fireroad up and down?
    it's fireroad up and down if all you do is go up the Way up trail and then turn right around and go back down it!

actually, for a fireroad/double track, the Way Up Trail has some very difficult sections to ascend.

once at the top, you can take the Equine Incline Loop which is mostly ST up to the top, then use some fireroad to connect to the Hodges Overlook trail. It's mostly ST if you loop stuff together correctly.

My issue with the whole area is that all of the climbs are brutally steep. I have no issue climbing but I like some long sustained stuff. Elfin just has you pegged in the red the whole time. A lot of the climbs on the Hodges Overlook are really short but super steep.

Then, when you do the descents, they're either way too short to get any satisfaction from or in cases like the Way Up Trail, you have to go super slow because of all the traffic that may be climbing so again,no payback for the return you invested.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bjammin View Post

Hmm... on second thought maybe I'm just biased cause Hellfin is out my back door.
    ^^^This

OP,
    Have you ridden either before? [edit] Nevermind, I just re-read your post and it sounds like you have.
    How are your climbing legs? The Way Up trail at Elfin is more sustained (longer overall and longer sections of technical trail) than any climb at Calavera.
    Elfin: The way up; you gotta earn your fun. Equine Loop; fun, chunky, loose. Hodges overlook/witch trail [edit] (this may be new to you); some tight ST and little rock rolls.
    Calavera: you really need [current] local knowledge of the place to make the best of it. There's something for everyone. Tight, twisty and smooth ST, fireroad, jump lines, committing rock rolls....
    Post up here or at dirttreaders.com to find people to ride with when you're here.

mtbr member
    Even the wide trail/road from the Del Dios side is heinous steep especially towards the top but offers a more rewarding downhill, though the waterbars still mess that up a bit(some call this the "Once is enough" trail).

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider View Post
    it's fireroad up and down if all you do is go up the Way up trail and then turn right around and go back down it!

actually, for a fireroad/double track, the Way Up Trail has some very difficult sections to ascend.

once at the top, you can take the Equine Incline Loop which is mostly ST up to the top, then use some fireroad to connect to the Hodges Overlook trail. It's mostly ST if you loop stuff together correctly.

My issue with the whole area is that all of the climbs are brutally steep. I have no issue climbing but I like some long sustained stuff. Elfin just has you pegged in the red the whole time. A lot of the climbs on the Hodges Overlook are really short but super steep.

Then, when you do the descents, they're either way too short to get any satisfaction from or in cases like the Way Up Trail, you have to go super slow because of all the traffic that may be climbing so again,no payback for the return you invested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    If you're dead set on riding one of those two places, ride Elfin, add some streamside riding at the start (go west along the creek keeping an eye out for single-track) till you can't go any further, turn around and come back - that should get you warmed up enough for the way up trail. Then equine incline loop then hodges overlook lollipop loop and back down. If you've still got plenty of juice in the tank, head north toward twin peaks on random fireroad and single track.

If you're not dead-set on either place, Rancho La Costa in Carlsbad brings a little flavor of both, and it sounds like it'll split the drivetime between the two.

mtbr member
    Way up trail is definitely not a fire road. There is a fire road up from Del Dios Hwy on the other side of the hill. Definitely need to wear the big boy pants at Elfin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you want to WORK, go to Elfin. I actually like the climbing out there except for the Way Up Trail which is ruined compared to what it was 9 years ago. If you want to have FUN, go to Calavera. I agree that it's best to go with somebody that knows where they are going out there but you can get by w/o one. As somebody else posted, post on dirttreaders.com as ther is ALWAYS somebody heading out to Calavera....or post back here if you want to hit up something new.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool, thanks guys