mtbr member

El Moro Trail Work

Riders have been avoiding the technical sections of the Rattlesnake trail by riding high on the edges of the rocky sections. This is a classic case of changing the trail to match your skills instead of changing your skills to match the trail.
    The result of this is that the trail is getting wider and less technical. Since the edges of the trail are softer soil, washouts and ruts will develop when the rains come.
    On November 19th from 8 to noon, we will be working on returning this trail to it's challenging nature by building natural obstructions on the edges.
    Gloves, tools and lunch will be provided by SHARE Mountain Bike Club.
    After a short meeting at the visitors center, volunteers will ride to the worksite and tools will be driven in.
    If you would like to join us please send a quick email to info@sharemtb.com so we have plenty of tools and food for everyone.
    Our website is under constuction so there will be no information there.

_
    Mar 2004
    I just ride down the middle or look for the toughest lines to take when going down Rattlesnake and it is every bit as technical as its been. I think regardless of the trail work that is going to be done, people who aren't comfortable riding down the middle will always look for an alternative line, typically being on the sides of the trail. The ruts are pretty bad as it is on Rattlesnake and they are part of the challenge when descending that trail.

taxi mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    Riders have been avoiding the technical sections of the Rattlesnake trail by riding high on the edges of the rocky sections. This is a classic case of changing the trail to match your skills instead of changing your skills to match the trail.
    The result of this is that the trail is getting wider and less technical. Since the edges of the trail are softer soil, washouts and ruts will develop when the rains come.
    On November 19th from 8 to noon, we will be working on returning this trail to it's challenging nature by building natural obstructions on the edges.
    Gloves, tools and lunch will be provided by SHARE Mountain Bike Club.
    After a short meeting at the visitors center, volunteers will ride to the worksite and tools will be driven in.
    If you would like to join us please send a quick email to info@sharemtb.com so we have plenty of tools and food for everyone.
    Our website is under constuction so there will be no information there.
    much trail work is everywhere on 19th. case on rattlesnake is sense. many seem to not like rock when rock is fun ride. are you place big rock on side where rider not match trail?

mtbr member

Thanks

"Thank You" to all the volunteers who came out and helped save the Rattlesnake trail on Sat. Because of your hard work, we were able to restore the challenging nature of this trail. Hopefully the section we closed off will reveg and narrow the trail as it should be. I will contiue to monitor this section and fine tune it as necessary.
    There is lots more work to do in El Moro, including the removal of the berms created by the bull dozer near deer canyon. We need to get these knocked down before it rains much or the water will only have one place to run, down the trail. Also, the outside of the Fence Line/ Missing Link trail is starting to fall off. The overgrown brush if forcing riders to the outside of the trail so we will need to do some trimming back. All in good time.
    Thank you for your hard work.

mtbr member

Nice job

I was worried this trail would be sanitized, but after riding it this morning it's all good. From what I could tell, it only looks like some boulders were lined up to block off the cheater line.

Now, let's work on some additional legal singletrack in this park.

C

I've got a Stiffee
    Yeah the work done on R-Snake is all good, I never rode over on that side anyway The parts of Missing Link falling away is definately gettting worse and I've been intentionally slowing down as to ride on the right side of it. Some trimming there and also some trimming again where R-Snake first starts would be good. Let me know if you need some help, I can help out on a Monday.

mtbr member

Sanitizing

My goal for this trail has nothing to do with making it easy to ride or more safe. It is a challenging trail and if people want to ride it they should change their skills instead of trying to change the trail by riding the edges.
    In regard to new single track, there are three projects being discussed. First is legalizing BVD. I think this will happen soon. As soon as LCWP is open 7 days a week we can start looking forward to that. It even has an official name already" Old Emerald Falls".
    Second is extending the Fence Line trail to Ridge Crest. The trail is there and it's on County property so it could happen. Third is turning Ticketron back into a single track by rerouting it using three climbing turns. Next time you are out there look left and right and you will see the flags. This is scheduled to be done in Jan.

I've got a Stiffee
    My goal for this trail has nothing to do with making it easy to ride or more safe. It is a challenging trail and if people want to ride it they should change their skills instead of trying to change the trail by riding the edges.
    In regard to new single track, there are three projects being discussed. First is legalizing BVD. I think this will happen soon. As soon as LCWP is open 7 days a week we can start looking forward to that. It even has an official name already" Old Emerald Falls".
    Second is extending the Fence Line trail to Ridge Crest. The trail is there and it's on County property so it could happen. Third is turning Ticketron back into a single track by rerouting it using three climbing turns. Next time you are out there look left and right and you will see the flags. This is scheduled to be done in Jan.

I'm not familiar with BVD, does it drop down on the same side as Old Emerald? Also one trail I would love to see legalized is "nothing better to do" as it a gem. When signing in to LCWP on Sunday I heard the ranger talking about going 7 days a week, do you know when this will take affect? Thanks for the info.

I was in no way complaining about the work done on R-Snake, in fact I liked to see how it forces you to ride on the rocks. Good work IMO, and if someone doesn't have the skill to ride down it then please walk it......it can be easy to get hurt on that section of trail.

mtbr member

Lcwp

Laguna Coast Wilderness Park was scheduled to open seven days a week last month but they delayed it until Jan. because of some "infrastructure problems". I didn't ask for specifics on that but I assume it may have something to do with getting some new signs made etc.
    BVD starts on Moro Ridge in El Moro and drops down to Emarald Canyon. It meets the road right at the bottom of Old Emerald. Part of the problem with opening it is that it one end is on State property and the other end is on County property.
    I have talked to the State Park ecologist about opening Nothing Better To Do and the answer I keep getting is a firm 'No'. They have been open to a lot of other projects but they won't even discuss that one.
    Sorry if I sounded like I was being defensive about the Rattlesnake project. It was not intentional.

I've got a Stiffee
    Laguna Coast Wilderness Park was scheduled to open seven days a week last month but they delayed it until Jan. because of some "infrastructure problems". I didn't ask for specifics on that but I assume it may have something to do with getting some new signs made etc.
    BVD starts on Moro Ridge in El Moro and drops down to Emarald Canyon. It meets the road right at the bottom of Old Emerald. Part of the problem with opening it is that it one end is on State property and the other end is on County property.
    I have talked to the State Park ecologist about opening Nothing Better To Do and the answer I keep getting is a firm 'No'. They have been open to a lot of other projects but they won't even discuss that one.
    Sorry if I sounded like I was being defensive about the Rattlesnake project. It was not intentional.
    Bummer about NBTD, that trail is 10x the trail that BVD is. Why are they so against it?

mtbr member

Nbtd

I think there are a couple of sensitive archeological sites in the area and the creek crossing complicates things too. If you build a trail (legally) which crosses a creek, it has to meet with the Dept. of Fish & Game's approval. Then of course there is the Coastal Commission review and approval process, and the Californai Environmental Quality Act, yada yada yada. There are easy projects and there difficult projects, then there are the next to impossible projects. I am better off working on the ones that may get done while I'm still young enough to ride a bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CalEpic
    I was worried this trail would be sanitized, but after riding it this morning it's all good. From what I could tell, it only looks like some boulders were lined up to block off the cheater line.

Now, let's work on some additional legal singletrack in this park.

C

I am a San Diego rider; visited Moro Ridge for the first time in about 5 years last week. Didn't read this thread before I went. I rode Rattlesnake twice and the Bill Moro trail once because I remember those being the best trails there.

I noticed quite a difference in Rattlesnake from 5 years ago. Basically it seemed more technical and fun. Not sure if this is due to the passage of time or the trail work. Probably both. I obviously approve as I decided to ride it twice!

I've got a Stiffee
    I see that the dozer has been in action again on the fireroad (redtail) heading from fenceline towards R-snake. There was a sign right where the R-snake singletrack starts and meets with the deer canyon fireroad stating the fireroad was closed. Basically it is pretty messed up, quite sandy in spots althought the center of the road is still fast for at least half of the fireroad. I guess they are repairing ticketron also? I didn't go down there and usually don't except when climbing out of of NBTD.....that climb out was finally packed down and now it is messed up again. Hopefully we'll get some rain soon though.

mtbr member

Dozer

I heard there was a dozer in there yesterday. The ranger from LCWP told me that they parked blocking the back gate and she was pretty ticked. I think they were working on putting in a conduit under the road leading down into Deer Canyon but I didn't know anything about Ticketron. If they drove the dozer up Ticketron, someone is going to get an earfull from me. I will go check it out this afternoon.
    By the way - BVD is officially open. They don't want us to brush it yet because they are going to be doing some irradication soon.

mtbr member

Grass irradication

Sorry, I meant grass irradication. There are some foreign grasses down in the meadow that they don't want spread around.

I've got a Stiffee
    I heard there was a dozer in there yesterday. The ranger from LCWP told me that they parked blocking the back gate and she was pretty ticked. I think they were working on putting in a conduit under the road leading down into Deer Canyon but I didn't know anything about Ticketron. If they drove the dozer up Ticketron, someone is going to get an earfull from me. I will go check it out this afternoon.
    By the way - BVD is officially open. They don't want us to brush it yet because they are going to be doing some irradication soon.

Don't quote on them doing anything to ticketron, I just saw a tractor/dozer parked up at the top of ticketron when I was on Rattlesnake. Either way the large dozer went all the way down the fireroad from fenceline and messed that up pretty good. We need rain regardless. Were you the one who did some repairs on missing link also? Those loose/sandy spots are quickly getting rutted down in the middle of them.....looks like some rain is possible tomorrow, we'll see.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the work on Rattlesnake Chopper. I rode El Moro (two loops and twice down Rattlesnake) and Top of the World just this last Monday for the first time in about 12 years. My how Rattlesnake has changed. Glad I was on a 6" travel bike instead of my full rigid I used last I rode there.

mtbr member

Missing Link

Yes I did the work on Missing Link last Friday thinking that it was going to rain the next day. It didn't! Once it does I will go out and fine tune it to get the ruts out. The work needed to be done but it would have been better if I waited until I was sure it was going to rain soon. Last year it was pretty easy to predict the rain.

mtbr member
    did you say bvd is open? so how exactly do you get there? where on morro ridge is it?
    Simple Living, High Thinking

mtbr member

Old Emerald Falls (BVD)

From 'I Think I Can' or BFI heading toward the back of the park on Moro Ridge, there are two single tracks on the right that drop down into Emerald. The first one is clearly marked and should be avoided. The second one is closer to the back of the park just before one of the big humps. There is a dozer cutout there and if you keep your eyes right you will see the single track.
    Remember, first trail bad, second trail good. Having a good single track dropping into the canyon is great, but having 3 or 4 or 5 is just a BMX track so I hope everyone will stick to the legal trail and avoid any temptation to create any others.
    I'll work on getting a sign in place.
    BTW - the cactus is tight on both sides of the trail and it really needs brushing but they (LCWP) have asked us to hold off on the trail maintenance for just a little longer. As soon as the grass project is done, SHARE's park rep for LCWP will organize a trail work day.

giddy up!
    It's awesome to see some great trails being opened up. Thanks for the hard work Chopper.

It's a shame about NBTD....such a great trail(not that I've ridden it)!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com