XC Hack
    Dec 2011

El Moro recon 12/8

Today was my first visit to the park for a ride since '95 or so Anyway, it looks so different there with the trailer park gone and all the camping spots added. The trails seemed vaguely familiar as I headed out. I climbed BFI and was soon reminded of how long of a climb it is. Connected to Missing Link to Fence Line and then down Rattlesnake. Rattlesnake sure has changed beginning about halfway down. What was once just a singletrack with baseball chunk rock has turned into sheer death with huge drops, foot deep ruts and no clear path to stay on. I walked that 75 yd. section as I lacked the equipment, skill and huevos to clean it, lol. Returned via Mach One and El Moro Canyon. Overall, the trails were in good shape and I see that the state has posted maps along the trails so all the visitors from the Marriott and Cottages don't end up lost. Weather was killer, wish you were there.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Welcome back!

FYI: most people (at least if they're driving from the north) park at the Newport Coast Dr. trailhead. It allows you to start and finish with some fun s/t in El Moro and/or Laguna Coast. And the parking is free. Pm me if you'd like a tour; there's a bunch of fun to be had.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey