Thread: El Moro

mtbr member

El Moro

I have been out in Huntington Beach for almost 4 weeks now and I am dying to do my first proper ride. I have seen posts on el moro and I plan on doing some riding down there tomorrow. any info you guys can give me would be great i.e. best way to get there, trail closures, etc. I will probably try to leave hb by around 8 or 9, if anyone else is interested in riding and wants to meet up let me know.

mtbr member
    From HB take the 405 south to the 73 south (portions toll) exit Newport Coast south towards the coast. You have a couple choices on starting points. I would recommend Ridge Park. It's free to park. To get there stay on Newport Coast and make a left on Ridge Park. Take it all the way to the end and park there. Trailhead is the gate. The other option is to stay on Newport Coast all the way to PCH and turn left. Look for the main entrance to Crystal Cove State park El Moro backcountry on the left. It is next to an elementary school. Parking is $10

There are signs marking the trails and maps available in the ranger office at the main lot.

C

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Create a free account on geoladders.com. You can search for all the local rides including El Moro.

It has GPS coordinates and turn by turn directions with pics...generally accurate. It will take a ride or two to get the layout of the park. Recommend being prepared as a wrong turn could add a few healthy unexpected climbs to your ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips guys, I ended up going to ridge park. Did El Moro, and Deer Canyon, great rides, although much different then the trails back home (phoenix).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Next time youre out here try this loop.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route...1&route_id=172
    Last edited by Hanzo90802; 10-05-2007 at 05:27 PM.