mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Easy Trails in the Palm Springs Area...

looks like i'll be heading down to the palm springs region over xmas with the family. if so i'd like to get my wife and son out for a spin if we can find something not too challenging. the big thing is to stay away from a lot of climbing and big technical sections. short stints on foot are fine if most of the trail is pretty mellow.

any and all suggestions are appreciated. also we could use some restaurant ideas (not super fancy, things like tex mex, southwestern, etc...). oh, and places to rent good quality mtn bikes....thanks!!

34N 118W

where?

specifically which part of town? it's kind of a big valley. Most of the riding that we head out there for is harsh on bikes; sharp rocks, cactus, etc. I'm not aware of "family friendly" trails but others here may be. Or you could check in with Palm Springs Cyclery and ask the locals (for rentals too).

as for dining, Las Casuelas is always a nice stop for Mexi. Right on Palm Cyn down the st. from the LBS.

have fun - should be beautiful weather.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

indian wells....

likely we'll be staying in the marriott esmeralda in indian wells. we'll have a car though so will be able to drive to trails (within reason). on the restaurant side, it sounds like it might be tough to find a nice place that's open for xmas dinner....

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    it sounds like it might be tough to find a nice place that's open for xmas dinner....
    With all the snowbirds coming in for the busy season you should have no problem finding an xmas dinner. Most of the big hotels should have big dinners planned.

As for easy trails, there's a short dirt road at the end of Magnesia Falls Rd. in Rancho Mirage that ends in a nice hike to a dry waterfall. You can also do a day trip to Joshua Tree N.P. for some dirt and a nice scenic drive. Other than that everything I've found around the valley is pretty steep for novices.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    bummer that there don't seem to be easy trails in the area, i have to think there must be some. we'll certainly be going to joshua tree but there won't be riding there as it's a national park....i'll call the lbs.

as for dinner, i'm hoping to find something fun that isn't at a big hotel...i know a lot of places will be closed but we'll be hungry!! and in general any more restaurant suggestions in the area would be appreciated.

cask conditioned
    we'll certainly be going to joshua tree but there won't be riding there as it's a national park....i'll call the lbs.
    There is mtb'ing in J Tree, it's just not on singletrack.

as for dinner, i'm hoping to find something fun that isn't at a big hotel.
    Maybe I should have said that if all else fails there are the resorts to fall back on and many have really good restaurants. I'm sure you won't have any problems finding a lot of things open along 111. Tourists and country club folk gotta eat!

http://www.ci.rancho-mirage.ca.us/th...estaurants.php

http://www.palm-desert.org/things_diningguide.asp
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    There is mtb'ing in J Tree, it's just not on singletrack.

Maybe I should have said that if all else fails there are the resorts to fall back on and many have really good restaurants. I'm sure you won't have any problems finding a lot of things open along 111. Tourists and country club folk gotta eat!

http://www.ci.rancho-mirage.ca.us/th...estaurants.php

http://www.palm-desert.org/things_diningguide.asp
    gracias...i didn't know there was any mtn biking (on dirt anyway) in any national park...that's good information.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you don't mind about a 45 min to an hour drive, keep up to date on Hurkey Creek in Idyllwild. Discussions about whether or not it will remain open are going on. Not sure what the weather is like in December, though, but it looks like averages are 55-60. Not super beginner, but it isn't highly technical or advanced either. I'm low-intermediate and it's my favorite trail. 9 mile loop.

34N 118W

Wawe*?

as for dinner, i'm hoping to find something fun that isn't at a big hotel...i know a lot of places will be closed but we'll be hungry!! and in general any more restaurant suggestions in the area would be appreciated.
    Don Diego's in Indian Wells is a good little local Mexi spot. Mmmmm, potato tacos. It's on the main drag which is Hwy 111. Head west and it will take you all the way into downtown Palm Springs.

My dad lives near PS and we ended up driving around one Xmas night looking for food. That place was a ghost town! We finally saw cars in a parking lot and had surf 'n turf at The Chart House (also on 111). Nothing says Christmas like lobster and a baked potato

also check out the River Walk at Bob Hope Dr. and 111. Outdoor mall with shops & restaurants, movies, etc. Good for kids & parents.

Jeff

*where are we eating?
    Last edited by Hollywood; 11-02-2005 at 02:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Check with Big Wheel Tours for the rentals, they have good bikes and will take them to you. I'm in Rancho Mirage near the River, www.velobum.com and would be happy to point you in the right direction for rides. The beg. riding is limited in the valley, and there may be snow or mud in the higher elevations, or it could be 65 and sunny, you'll have to see when you you get here. As for the eats, you'll probably need to make some calls when you are here. Hope this helps some.