120 pounds of xc sex!

east fence line/chino hills

hey guys, i rode east fence line at chino hills this weekend, (sorry kam, i was gonna call u, i did that instead of the other portion of the park.)

its in awesome shape right now, not evergrown, and very very tacky. (a little soft in certain place because of the horses...)

i recommend everyone to do this portion if you have never ridden this part of the park!
    I also saw a bunch of tranuclaus (sp?) and two bobcats, one named "BOB" because he is really friendly and used to be fed by campers. (he was withing a foot of my bike)
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

sweet...

hey man...

cool to see you got out there. what route did you take? did you get to the end, mclean overlook?

tarantulas love that area, and there are less riders out on that side of the park...especially east fenceline.

i have seen that bobcat before, about 1 year ago or so...that thing is too friendly considering it's a "wild" animal.

sorry for flaking...pop's gots thre flu bug, and i've been hella busy...i haven't ridin' for 10 days (my last ride with you)....argh!!!!

cheers, i'll try to get ou to turnbull a couple of times this week and hopefully the aliso "ride" for the weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Fenceline is fun

Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie
    hey guys, i rode east fence line at chino hills this weekend, (sorry kam, i was gonna call u, i did that instead of the other portion of the park.)

its in awesome shape right now, not evergrown, and very very tacky. (a little soft in certain place because of the horses...)

i recommend everyone to do this portion if you have never ridden this part of the park!
    I also saw a bunch of tranuclaus (sp?) and two bobcats, one named "BOB" because he is really friendly and used to be fed by campers. (he was withing a foot of my bike)
    I wish they would open Water Canyon again, get it cleaned up and renew the trail.
    Also, that cool singletrack that drops down from the North fireroad and you come out onto Telegraph I think just before the benches
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

120 pounds of xc sex!

yup

Ive never been to water caynon, its always been closed! how is it? also, the singeltrack from northridge has been open for some time, you should ride it!

kam- im gonna show up for that ride for santiago, see you later man....

also some SS sexy!

http://mocoloco.com/archives/000675.php#more

>Ankur

>Ankur<

mtbr member
    May 2004

Gilman Peak singletrack

Ive never been to water caynon, its always been closed! how is it? also, the singeltrack from northridge has been open for some time, you should ride it!

kam- im gonna show up for that ride for santiago, see you later man....

also some SS sexy!

http://mocoloco.com/archives/000675.php#more

>Ankur
    Yup, glad to hear it's open. I used to ride it a lot anyway. I like climbing up N. Ridge better than Telegraph anyway. Gilman is fast and fun. Are there other trails coming down off of it now?

I have been away from SoCal for about 3 years. I was back last summer and rode San Juan, STT, Aliso.

I like Carbon Canyon/Chino Hills because you can really get a feeling of "getting way out there". It's a pretty park, especially in spring when it's super green eh?
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've been on vacation in Kauai for the last week, but I'll dito the East Fence trail recomendation. I rode the whole trail on the 10th from Elinvar to Mclean and took the downhill section that goes down to the campsites. I rode a portion of the trail again this last Saturday.

I must say that the grass is growing far too quick and the trail will soon be overgrown in spots. We need more riders on this trail (never thought I'd say that) to keep the growth under control. It's a great trail to work on your technical climbing and such. Very tacky overal compared to the summer months. From Elinvar gate riding East Fence and back out Bane Canyon should take no more than an hour, so it doesn't require a lot of time. I've yet to see another rider on the trail when I've been riding it. If you want to feel a bit removed give this one a try.

120 pounds of xc sex!

yup

I agree. its a awesome trail, and if just 10 percent of the riders who do raptor ridge and all the other 4 corners stuff did this, it wouldt grow over as fast. hit it up!

>Ankur<

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I agree. its a awesome trail, and if just 10 percent of the riders who do raptor ridge and all the other 4 corners stuff did this, it wouldt grow over as fast. hit it up!

You know, I really don't understand why more people don't ride this route. Depending on time, especially now with the shorter days, I'll end up riding it more than ever. It's certainly more technical, and might not have the "fun" factor of the lower half of Raptor, but I think it poses the most challenge of any trail, as a whole, in the park. I personally like a challenge and use this trail to bone up on my steep climbing skills. Often times I'll re-ride parts of the trail two and three times until I clean it just to get more practice. Plus, I love how remote it is...it's my "happy place" if you will.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i just rode there this past sun (got out the house too late for the aliso ride and i would have had a hour drive ahead of me).

i started at the dam, and thru carbon canyon park, did northridge to 4-corners, raptor and climbed to bane (past the wooden cross where that biker fella/father died). once i got to bane, i was really tempted to hit east fenceline, but decided not to (i was riding with some geared guys and i waited for them at the top of bane, i didn't wanna diss em). then, just took southridge to 4-corners, up bovinian to southridge and back to the car.

a long ride (did most of it alone, except the bane ridge part), but it was fun, bane was really fast...i really wanna hit e.f.l. though...maybe bext week.

the entire park is beautiful though (well, except southridge when you can see homes )

cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    i just rode there this past sun (got out the house too late for the aliso ride and i would have had a hour drive ahead of me).

i started at the dam, and thru carbon canyon park, did northridge to 4-corners, raptor and climbed to bane (past the wooden cross where that biker fella/father died). once i got to bane, i was really tempted to hit east fenceline, but decided not to (i was riding with some geared guys and i waited for them at the top of bane, i didn't wanna diss em). then, just took southridge to 4-corners, up bovinian to southridge and back to the car.

a long ride (did most of it alone, except the bane ridge part), but it was fun, bane was really fast...i really wanna hit e.f.l. though...maybe bext week.

the entire park is beautiful though (well, except southridge when you can see homes )

cheers!
    You're right- Bane Ridge is fast, but was even faster before the rains. Now with the advent of a few new ruts, you're required to squeeze the binders a bit more lest you wanna get tossed. It's interesting to see the new lines develop as a result of the rain and ruts.

I think most don't venture over to east fence as perhaps the majority of riders come from the Carbon Canyon area or Yorba Linda. In this case it would be a long ride to come all the way over and then ride East Fense.

120 pounds of xc sex!

yup

Most come from the OC. quick question tho, when you come of bane road, then start east fence line, there are to ways to hit the trail, one that goes straight down into the valley (left), or one that goes up the hill (straight). Anyone know where straight goes?

>Ankur<

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Most come from the OC. quick question tho, when you come of bane road, then start east fence line, there are to ways to hit the trail, one that goes straight down into the valley (left), or one that goes up the hill (straight). Anyone know where straight goes?
    If I'm thinking of the same intersection as you, then the trail down the hill to the left is the start of East Fence Line on the North, North East side of the park, right? The other trail going up the ridge is called Razorback I believe. It's not a formal trail, although a newly errected "trail" sign may now make it official, and was started by a couple of riders. It's a relatively short trail, perhaps only around 1/4-1/3 of a mile but it rides the very top of a narrow ridge making for some good rollers and nice views. You def. what to stay on the track and concentrate. Going off track would mean a tumble down a ways. There is some light to moderate exposure. The trail will then bisect a fireroad, although I can't remember its name which would take you either back down (east) to EFL trail or west to Bane Canyon road.

Hope that helps. You should try the trail, it's something different at the very least.

Bigger than Big

Hey all,
    I am thinking of doing a "grand tour" of Eastern Chino Hills while the trail are clean and green. A XC flog.

Green River entrance
    Lower Aliso to Brush Canyon
    Brush Canyon to Skully Ridge
    Skully Ridge to Lower Aliso
    McClean overlook road to East Fence Line
    EFL to Rolling Ranch
    Lower Aliso singletracks back to the start
    Finish with the Golf Course singletrack

This would be about 20 miles or so with a lot of singletrack riding.
    I'm thinking of Sunday the 19th at around 9:00am.
    I am off the week before Xmas, so if a weekday works better, I can do that too.

Anybody game?
    "Get back to the hills, get back to baby where you belong." - P. Westerberg

120 pounds of xc sex!

hmm

yo shecky,

Im game! as long as im not in the mtns boarding! just hit me up here....

later man

>Ankur<

120 pounds of xc sex!

also..

I want to hit up east fence line this weekend, on sat, Dec 4th, around 9-10am, (when the sun comes out, brrrr)

it should be really tacky and fun. come out! (will meet at the base of east entrance, look for a obscenly (sp?) huge Green landcruiser with two indian ppl.

>Ankur<