SSped
    Jan 2004

Dreaded Hill Climb Competition

Come Support Your Trails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share MTB's 3rd Annual Dreaded Hill Climb - APRIL 2, 2005

The course - the bottom of a mile of the Dreaded Trail ending at the
    Mark Reynolds bench.

The elevation 700ft

Cost - $20($10 for share members), part of this money will go directly
    to trail repair costs at Whiting Ranch. This is your chance to give back
    to the park you love.

Sponsored by Rock n Road Cyclery www.rocknroadcyclery.net

Categories:

Expert/Pro

29 and under Men

30s Men

40s Men

50+ - Men

Over 200 lbs. - Men

Singlespeed Men

Women

Gift Certificates from Rock n Road will be awarded to the 1st and 2nd
    place finishers of each category. We have modified the categories this year
    based on input from the participants of the last two years.

T-shirts are available on a pre-sale condition only, once paying for
    your t-shirt please e-mail art@artzippel.com with your size with if you are
    not given a chance on active.com. ALL T-SHIRTS ORDER WITHOUT A SIZE EMAILED
    SEND TO ART@ARTZIPPEL.COM WILL BE TREATED AS A XL. We will respond to all
    size emails. Deadline for t-shirt sales if this Sunday March 27.

http://www.sharemtb.com/html/events/dreadedHill2005.asp

Contact Art Zippel if you have any questions at art@artzippel.com

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Isn't it too late to register

The name's Norm...
    Hey SSped,
    You gonna do it on you SS-CX? I have to work in the morn but if I can get out early enough I might just cruz down and take a look. Are there any ' day of ' registrations? And can I make it on a 32:18??
    Thanks bud.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Check out my little drawing about this . . .

"With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

SSped
    Jan 2004

It will hurt

No mater what gear you run it is going to hurt. That drawing was me at the La Wheelmans Hill climb Competition and this is 10 times harder and longer. I puked my guts out at the top. Right MaSSpayne!!!

The name's Norm...
    I never have seen an Egg McMuffin come out that color. I wonder if the tv camera caught that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hows the trail surface?

Quote Originally Posted by SSped
    Come Support Your Trails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share MTB's 3rd Annual Dreaded Hill Climb - APRIL 2, 2005

The course - the bottom � of a mile of the Dreaded Trail ending at the
    Mark Reynolds bench.

The elevation � 700ft
    Contact Art Zippel if you have any questions at art@artzippel.com
    Wish we had a climb like this up in NorCal in the Bay Area..........although thats a bit steep... We do have the Mt Diablo climb of 10+ miles up about 3500 feet but thats a road climb and takes about an hour.
    Looks like that Dreaded trail is only .6 miles long and gains 700 feet.
    Thats about a 22% climb....

Makes me wonder. What is the track like? narrow single track? fireroad? and how is the traction? Loose or solid.
    NIce to see they added age categories

I see the times from last year but can't tell what kind of riders they are.
    What would be a fairly fast time for a 35 year old "fast sport" to "medium expert" rider?
    I'm older than that but that would give me some perspective.

SSped
    Jan 2004

Rutted

I was a fire road at one time but It should be an overgroan mess with a RUT big enough to eat small children. It starts out really steep, has an even steeper twisty turn section in the middle and then gets a medium gradual climb at the top. It is a real challenge. Last year there was a girl crying as she climbed it, a SSpeeder walking it who took like 35 minutes and one really really fast guy we could not believe he did it that quick.

It was of course topped off by an Ghost ride competition in the parking lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the views

Quote Originally Posted by SSped
    I was a fire road at one time but It should be an overgroan mess with a RUT big enough to eat small children. It starts out really steep, has an even steeper twisty turn section in the middle and then gets a medium gradual climb at the top. It is a real challenge. Last year there was a girl crying as she climbed it, a SSpeeder walking it who took like 35 minutes and one really really fast guy we could not believe he did it that quick.

It was of course topped off by an Ghost ride competition in the parking lot.
    Thanks for the pics........ Like the ghost riders.........those guys have great balance

I saw the time of the first place guy......so much better than the others. He must have been flying. It will be interesting to see the times of the age groups they're gonna have this year.
    I'm over 50 and they have a 50+ category.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by maSSpayne
    Hey SSped,
    You gonna do it on you SS-CX? I have to work in the morn but if I can get out early enough I might just cruz down and take a look. Are there any ' day of ' registrations? And can I make it on a 32:18??
    Thanks bud.
    You could walk your bike up to the top w/ that gearing...
    We're talking 25 degrees PLUS the WHOLE way....
    The SS gearing options are open as per the rules...
    I'd check out 18x32 before 32x18....

mtbr member

Got accurate GPS for the hill?

I used Topo to trace over the existing fireroads and let it compute the grade. The best I could get was a 16% average grade with 20% for 3/10 of a mile. OK it's steep. (Bring big cog) Anything longer than what I show lowers the average grade.

For comparison Hell Hill in Sycamore Canyon (Ventura) is 17% for 7/10 miles, 21% for 3/10 mile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SSped
    Jan 2004

You have to ride it

if you think it is doable then SS it. I did SS the last two years and each time I was thrown over the top. it starts out steeeeep levels off a bit then ramps up real steep at the half way mark the top levels out to a gradual climb but you are fried by then. I stopped 3 times to regain breathing. you also start out cold without a warm up ie puking. it would be great to see a bunch of people do it ss but that will never happen.

SSped
    there is only 1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

528 feet of climb or 700 feet?

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    I used Topo to trace over the existing fireroads and let it compute the grade. The best I could get was a 16% average grade with 20% for 3/10 of a mile. OK it's steep. (Bring big cog) Anything longer than what I show lowers the average grade.

For comparison Hell Hill in Sycamore Canyon (Ventura) is 17% for 7/10 miles, 21% for 3/10 mile.
    Hmm......The website for the climb says the following

"Description: Climb 700 ft. in .6 mile of Hell (Dreaded Hill Trail in Whiting Ranch) in a timed event. Staging will be individual time trials."

You seem to be using 528 feet of elevation whereas they are using 700 ft.
    If you use .6 miles and 700 feet you get closer to 22%...

So who is correct.......your 528 ft or their 700 ft?
    The times from last year seem to indicate that it is actually 700 feet.

SSped
    Jan 2004

great times

A lot of guys had problems climbing the 1st 100 feet. it was really steep. So steep you really could not restart on it and had to go back to the start to get back on the bike. I volunteered but the majority of people had to stop and take breaks climbing it. the record was broken by a pro who did it in 8 minutes and somthing.

PROPS to all who even tried. What a great day to be outside and it was nice to honor Mark Reynolds With the climb to his bench atop the hill.

SSped

The name's Norm...
    Sweet, buddy. Sorry couldn't make it. Didn't get out of work until after 8 this morn. so I just went to Turnbull and did a loop. So did u take any pics??

----woof----
    I foolishly tried doing this with a 32x18. I made the first 50 feet or so then lost all of my momentum and was almost impossible to remount from a dead start. Any forward progress other than from pedalling the bike was a automatic DQ so it seemed like I'd was only going one stroke at a time. Left leg, stop, right leg, stop, over and over until I got to a section that I could carry any speed on. Can't say I was really tired because I spent most of my time trying to remount than actually riding for any distance. I did get 2nd place though since there was only 2 SSers. My time was around 32 mins. Other division winners like Clydesdales and over 40 were under 12 mins. Expert/pro was around 8 mins. 1st place SS was I think 11 mins. I'll probably be there again next year if I can figure out the right gearing

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by LBguy
    Check out my little drawing about this . . .

funny funny
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester
    Hmm......The website for the climb says the following

"Description: Climb 700 ft. in .6 mile of Hell (Dreaded Hill Trail in Whiting Ranch) in a timed event. Staging will be individual time trials."

You seem to be using 528 feet of elevation whereas they are using 700 ft.
    If you use .6 miles and 700 feet you get closer to 22%...

So who is correct.......your 528 ft or their 700 ft?
    The times from last year seem to indicate that it is actually 700 feet.
    I'm using an accurate topo map (on a PC) and traced a route on the steepest part of the hill. The computer provides the climb and slope. If I trace a longer route - to get a full 700 ft climb - then the average slope comes our even less. So their claims of slope and climb are way off. If sharemtb can provide a GPS download I'd be happy to validate their claim.

mtbr member
    I did it in the Clydsdale group. I almost got the 2nd place but a 3rd guy showed up .
    Seriously, I don't know the grade, but it was the hardest climb I ever done. I had nothing left for the rest of the day. I was more tired than some 20 something miles rides I have done.

But what a great challenge. I am doing it again next year and I will beat my time by 5 minutes. I am starting to practice today...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

When are they gonna post this year's times?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Guy
    I did it in the Clydsdale group. I almost got the 2nd place but a 3rd guy showed up .
    Seriously, I don't know the grade, but it was the hardest climb I ever done. I had nothing left for the rest of the day. I was more tired than some 20 something miles rides I have done.

But what a great challenge. I am doing it again next year and I will beat my time by 5 minutes. I am starting to practice today...
    Do it at least once a week to develope technique as well as muscles.........and to strengthen the "mind".........Plus drop about 30 pounds........
    Go here for specific analysis about how much time you will save for every pound dropped.

http://www.analyticcycling.com/Force...ight_Page.html

Now, will someone report where and when I can find this year's results...........

SSped
    Jan 2004

It is all Bout the 1st 50'

Giv'm time they should have them up soon. That 1st 50' to 100ft is a doosie. I rode up it(not my most briliant idea) to get to the top to volunteer. I walked a ton, so I can definently feel your pain. Trying to get back on was imposible.

C ya next year