Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Double Peak Trail Sabotage

Went riding with a pal at Double Peak yesterday evening. Found two intentionally placed obstructions, one just around a blind turn on "secret trail". Keep an eye out, or better yet, keep your cell phone handy and video somebody putting these things in the trail and report them. I'll post pictures of said obstructions shortly.

Double Peak Trail Sabotage-1008131808.jpgDouble Peak Trail Sabotage-1008131810.jpg
    Last edited by justin_amador; 10-09-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added pictures

mtbr member
    I hate people and would love to catch someone doing this. That could be some major pain for someone on that last picture. I ride up there quite a bit so keep us updated if you see more and I will do the same.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just rode this trail a couple hours ago and it was sabotaged again. They added a bunch of 4" branches 2 feet off the ground in multiple locations.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Looks like fun obstacles. Sounds like a good time to plan a huge group ride...

Beer Please!
    what a bunch of dirt bags.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Any thoughts on whether alerting the ranger would be productive?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Assuming all of the trails are legal for bikes I think you should alert the Ranger and show pictures to demonstrate the sabotage. Maybe the Ranger will catch someone in the act.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    In my experience alerting rangers can sometimes be counter productive. Increased reports of user conflict often end up panning out poorly for bikers even if we are not at fault. In this case however it is probably a good idea to present photos to the authorities. A well placed game camera would certainly catch the saboteur.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    In my experience alerting rangers can sometimes be counter productive. Increased reports of user conflict often end up panning out poorly for bikers even if we are not at fault. In this case however it is probably a good idea to present photos to the authorities. A well placed game camera would certainly catch the saboteur.
    This is a great post. Insightful comment on negative user interactions and genius idea on the game camera.

mtbr member
    How much is a game camera? I may go buy one myself and put it out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    How much is a game camera? I may go buy one myself and put it out there.
    This'll give you just a taste of what is out there.

Search Results : Cabela's
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Big 5 has some cheaper ones too
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    Santiago Oaks used to have some issues. With the dedicated help of the rangers and the local biking community we caught 'um! It was pretty cool with everyone coming together to stop it.
    The same happened in NorCal. Some of the sabotage was outright deadly. The guy went to jail.
    I believe cameras were used in both instances.
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skiermike View Post
    This is a great post. Insightful comment on negative user interactions and genius idea on the game camera.
    Thanks but I can hardly take credit for the game camera idea. Just taking a play from the DFG and rangers playbook on that one.

Sober for now...
    These are my home trails and ride them frequently at night. I was out last night around 5 and saw more of the same. Oddly enough, there wasn't any other sabotage on the nearby trails.... I believe the head Ranger's name is Ron and he's very friendly to cyclists as he patrols the trails on a MTB. It would be wise to bring him in the loop as Secret is a legal trail and it's not just MTB'rs at risk...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Riding the Secret trail a couple of weeks ago I found someone had done the same thing (see pics). So I pedaled up to the Ranger's showed him the pics and explained that this has been happening for some time and it it dangerous for MTBers. He said he would "be on the look"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double Peak Trail Sabotage-20131017_173240.jpg  

Double Peak Trail Sabotage-20131017_173251.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Almost makes me wonder if old Mike V. has decided to move to the South-land....

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Almost makes me wonder if old Mike V. has decided to move to the South-land....
    Nah, Mike likes handsaws. This is just one of his followers. Looks like he stepped up his game. The attempts in the first photos were pretty weak. Next thing you know there will be wires across the trail and then maybe some boards with nails in them. Lets hope the ranger finds this person and has them permanently banned from all trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nah, Mike likes handsaws. This is just one of his followers. Looks like he stepped up his game. The attempts in the first photos were pretty weak. Next thing you know there will be wires across the trail and then maybe some boards with nails in them. Lets hope the ranger finds this person and has them permanently banned from all trails.
    Oh, that's right! Yet another psychology professional with "anger issues"!

Sober for now...
    NO.

I will be damned if I let that happen to my LEGAL home trails. I'll gladly take time off work to stake out/patrol these trails to bring the culprit to light.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bjammin View Post
    NO.

I will be damned if I let that happen to my LEGAL home trails. I'll gladly take time off work to stake out/patrol these trails to bring the culprit to light.
    Good for you. I am ashamed to say that although I live in San Marcos I have not ridden this trail yet. La Costa preserve is right out my back door and I usually try to avoid driving. I plan to head out there this week and see if I can ride to the trail without having to drive. Now that we know what this individual is doing there are a few things we can look for. A hiker with dirty or dusty hands, feet, clothing or other signs of moving heavy rocks about. This person is most likely a male based on the size of some of the rocks although I would not rule out a female. It would be a good idea to try to determine when the sabotage is occurring. It is probably a local resident with an axe to grind. Sure would be nice to catch them in the act and get them banned from the trail.

mtbr member
    Sucks this is happening. Can you make lemonade out of lemons by throwing some dirt on it and making some jumps?
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

mtbr member

Good for you. I am ashamed to say that although I live in San Marcos I have not ridden this trail yet. La Costa preserve is right out my back door and I usually try to avoid driving. I plan to head out there this week and see if I can ride to the trail without having to drive. Now that we know what this individual is doing there are a few things we can look for. A hiker with dirty or dusty hands, feet, clothing or other signs of moving heavy rocks about. This person is most likely a male based on the size of some of the rocks although I would not rule out a female. It would be a good idea to try to determine when the sabotage is occurring. It is probably a local resident with an axe to grind. Sure would be nice to catch them in the act and get them banned from the trail.
    Where's the trailhead for this trail system? May try to ride out there this week from my house.

Beer Please!
    Is this the shuttle run from the top to the bottom? I have not ridden out there in a while.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    If you want me to show you how to connect La Costa with Double Peak let me know. There is some pavement involved, but it can be minimized. You can actually connect La Costa with Elfin through Double Peak as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast