120 pounds of xc sex!

Dont attempt to go to Chino hills...

Dont get me wrong, the once dry barin landscape is beautiful right now, but everything is closed. The only trail that was open was bane ridge to southridge, woot woot !!

I was going to attempt to try east fence line, since it really has very little exposure and it hasnt rained for a week, but I got a little freaked out by the signs. "Dangerous, do not enter. "

Seriously, ride anywhere but there right now.
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

giddy up!
    I rode southridge on saturday from the equestrian area to the rimcrest entrance....the trail was actually in really good shape. I can't wait for the rest of the park to open....I got some routes in my head!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Mashers Only!!
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    I got some routes in my head!

B
    Oh man that translates into another kick a$$ all day ride!! Can't wait...

HUGH
    Takin the day off!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    I rode southridge on saturday from the equestrian area to the rimcrest entrance....the trail was actually in really good shape. I can't wait for the rest of the park to open....I got some routes in my head!

B
    You mean the horses haven't completely destroyed the trail?

Mashers Only!!
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBlur
    You mean the horses haven't completely destroyed the trail?
    What horses?

HUGH

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie
    Dont get me wrong, the once dry barin landscape is beautiful right now, but everything is closed. The only trail that was open was bane ridge to southridge, woot woot !!

I was going to attempt to try east fence line, since it really has very little exposure and it hasnt rained for a week, but I got a little freaked out by the signs. "Dangerous, do not enter. "

yea, the park must be beautiful right now!!!

before all this rain, i would ride from the carbon canyon entrance, up northridge to 4-corners, raptor to bane, do east fenceline, then to the equestrian area. from there to southridge. take the bovinian st down to 4 corners and head back up to finish the rest of southridge.

quite a few miles and some decent ST and climbing.

let me know when you guys wanna hit this place up!!! donkey, ask your buddy joe to join, cool guy!!!

cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Glad to hear some of th trails are open. I'll ride there this afternoon. Perhaps I'll bring my camera and post some pics tonight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It is beautiful right now, but I'm seriously concerned about how overgrown the single tracks must be. They're gonna need some work that's for sure. It's been hard though, not having the park open since I live less than two miles away. I've missed getting in the quick rides during the week. The park was busy on Sun. I rode Bane Canyon (Bane ridge is not open) up South Ridge to the top just to "look things over." My legs were a bit pumped out from riding Harding the day before. I wonder how long it will be till they open everything up? Let's hope it's not another two-three months.
    "Pain Doesn't Hurt."

mtbr member
    i as planning on riding there saturday. i went to the carbon canyon side late saturday afternoon thinkning its been a while since its rained but saw signs it was closed. saw someone leaving and he said it wasn't bad. but i decided to just ride fullerton loop cause i didn't want to mess up the trails i guess.

i was really looking forward to it as i haven't been there in a long time.

120 pounds of xc sex!

yah ...

If you need to know updates, call the chino hills number, and dial 19, extension to speak to a ranger. Who knows how long it will be closed.

>Ankur<

Bigger than Big
    I rode here on Saturday. I had to work in the morning, so I brought the bike with me and a plan to ride the Weir Canyon loop afterwards.
    I got off work and just didn't feel like riding Weir. I wanted a longer ride.
    Instead I parked at Green River and decided to try the first part of a ride I have been thinking of that would include the Eastern fence line. I wanted to see if it was possible to do this year
    My plan was lower Aliso, up Brush, North on Skully, down to HQ and then to return down lower Aliso on the many singletracks, finishing with the golf course singletrack.
    I crossed the golf course/train tracks and cut through the corral to the beginning of lower Aliso Canyon road. I made my first water crossing here.
    Holy crap the park needs some work! The fire road has become an overgrown double track and has lots of character added to it. Baby heads, changing dirt textures and water - a ton. I crossed the knee deep creek 6 or 7 times. There were 1-2 foot drops from the dirt to the water on each side of the creek. There won't be any trucks getting through for a while.
    Occasionally the fire road would be obliterated by 6-8 foot high mustard. I plowed on through. This ride was getting tough!
    I finally reached the beginning of Brush Canyon. At least I thought I did. This fire road was so overgrown that it was barely discernable from the rest of the hillside. I weighed bushwhacking up Brush vs. turning back and forging the many water crossings again.
    WTF - I decided that climbing up would lead to drier trails with less growth, so I headed up the switchbacks. I made it about 10 feet and then stopped dead. There was so much moisture mixed in the trail with the roots that it felt like riding on a sponge that was sucking down the tire. The surface area from all that mustard was collecting the dew and fog and channeling it down to the dirt. There was also a hidden rut from the runoff that would reach out to grab the front every once in a while. Start and stop was constant as I battled through the 6 inch gap in the mustard. It was granny most of the way. This was not a dab-free ride! There were collapsed mud piles here and there on the way up and drier patches with less growth as I got higher.
    I made the top of Brush and had a breather while I picked mustard and grass out of the drive train. This is a great viewpoint and the park is very beautiful right now.
    I took a bit o' damage from the thorns during the climb, My shins looked like a case of measles from the dots of blood. I also flicked off my first and only tick of the ride.
    I headed South up a stout climb on Skully. The trail alternated between areas completely covered in growth and fairly open rocky ridgebacks where I could gain some speed before the next overgrown climb/push. It was some thick mustard!
    There wasn't much dirt damage up top on the ridges in the sun. The plant growth thinned eventually too. This went by a bit faster and I finally descended a rutted road back to the Golf Course.
    This was a little 7 mile or so ride that beat me up well. It felt like 20. This park needs some attention ASAP.
    "Get back to the hills, get back to baby where you belong." - P. Westerberg

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Have some

Green
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    One More
    Attached Images Attached Images

120 pounds of xc sex!

golf course?

Is there a entrance of by black gold golf course? We need to have a thread of the best loops around chino hills, I feel like im missing out.

>Ankur<

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Don't worry . . .

Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie

Riding there is a complete waste of time anyway.
    The little bit of singletrack is lame, i.e. not very
    steep or challenging whatsoever.
    I'd rather ride around my cul-de-sac 1 or 2 thousand times
    instead to get the same workout.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowerman
    Riding there is a complete waste of time anyway.
    The little bit of singletrack is lame, i.e. not very
    steep or challenging whatsoever.
    I'd rather ride around my cul-de-sac 1 or 2 thousand times
    instead to get the same workout.

I guess that just means one less biker on the trails....sounds good to me. Having ridden most everything in OC, and quite a bit elsewhere, I'm a bit suprised at your comments. CHSP is not a technical place, but I have just as much fun there as I do on much more technical rides. Fast single tracks that run down ridgelines with great views appeal to only a few I guess. As for your cul-de-sac, enjoy.
    "Pain Doesn't Hurt."

Over the Hill
    Mowerman.

I am not a big fan of CHSP, there are better places to ride, but East boundery is not a bad trail. That last downhill coming off the ridge to the campground is steep.