mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Dog friendly trails around OC?

Got a heeler a few weeks ago, looking to eventually take him with me on MTB rides. Curious if there are (m)any bike friendly trails around that would be good w/ a dog.

Thinking more rolling terrain, not some long slog up then 30 mph blaze down.

Thanks in advance!

Beer Please!
    How do you define dog friendly? Do you want to have your dog off leash, because you will not find any public trails where that is acceptable.

Also being SoCal, in the summer you have to worry about Rattle Snakes and Cactus, and even Coyotes depending on the area.

Down here in San Diego I once did a ride with my girl and had her off leash once I got into the back 40 of an area where there are less hikers and she was having a blast chasing rabbits n squirrels n such, but when we got home I found she had run through a cactus and I had to hold her down while my wife pulled the needles out. Not very fun.

I tried using a device that attached to my rear axle, but because she is a Pit Bull and very very strong (only 60lbs) she ended up ripping the thing apart and breaking the axle to chase a rabbit she saw.

The only time I felt comfortable riding with her off leash was up in Mammoth because I knew there were none of the hazards we have down here.

I am sorry this does not answer your question.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I guess I find that hard to believe that hunters can hunt off San Juan / Blackstar but I'm not able to hike / bike with a dog off leash there. I get that I can't run around w/ him in Aliso or El Moro or other OC parks but state parks I'd imagine would be another ball of wax.

Sounds like my best bet would just be to call some rangers maybe.

Thanks!