Life Is Short

Do you use mosquito spray?

Seeme like they're out in force now---mosquitoes and biting flies. I use a small spray can of Off with DEET, works Ok but also takes the paint off my helmet. What are you using?

official eMpTyBRain
    Luckily, they don't like the taste of my greasy, ransid flesh. It's the poison oak that keeps biting me over and over and I am not even touching the stuff!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Other than an occasional "safety ck", don't STOP!!! Keep rolling .... sqeeters can't land on ya! Better off without ANY bug spray/sunscreen/body lotion/other junk. Like mentioned above.... your own boldily "pheromones" should take care of things "naturally".

Go ride~!

mtbr member
    i dont, but have not had an issue so far with mosquitos.
    ill just try to ride faster if they start biting.
    i don't eat onions or garlic and i think for that reason mosquitos and other bugs love me, i get bit all the time

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Rode the Wilson Toll Rd to Henniger Flats this morning. Planned on taking some time to dry out on one of the nice tables overlooking the valley. That lasted 2 minutes before being swarmed by flies and mos. I don't know if repellent would have worked. Best keep moving. I did use sunscreen though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Luckily, they don't like the taste of my greasy, ransid flesh. It's the poison oak that keeps biting me over and over and I am not even touching the stuff!
    If rubbing alcohol doesn't take off the resin of poison oak (usually does if you get to it in 15 min) I use Sasquatch Itch Cream on the rash if i'm on the trail still. It's hard to find though. zanafel worked better for me with poison sumac but i don't live around that anymore. I think bait shops and hiking places carry the sasquatch itch cream as it is not really marketed for bikers. Pity as it seems we all suffer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I do now

Spent four days in the hospital after contracting Typhus. Not fun having 103 temp for 5 days and losing 10lbs. It has been three weeks since I got out and I am just starting to feel normal.
    Ed

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    We go for the barrier method, long sleeves, etc. and a head net when skeets are thick, but I don't see em that way while riding, only hiking/backpacking. The small biting flies are way worse around Saddleback. If you keep moving you're usually okay. Not psyched at all about deet, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    "Keep moving".
    Brilliant solution.
    Easy to say, except when you, or your riding partner get a flat, or have a mechanical problem.
    Trying to make the repair while swatting flies and mosquitos.
    No fun. Got et up pretty good once.
    I use repellant.
    "Off" has a new "dry" spray, or Bullfrog "Mosquito Coast" combo sunscreen - bug repellant. (no Deet)
    Not crazy about what mosquitos carry.
    Nile virus, anyone?

Poison oaks and sumac?
    Never had it.

mtbr member
    I haven't really biked where there were a lot of mosquitoes yet but if I was I wouldn't put any repellent on until I needed to dismount for a repair or if I wanted to take an extended break.

The stuff that goes into some repellents scares me, especially if it can remove paint from a helmet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Better off without ANY bug spray/sunscreen/body lotion/other junk. Like mentioned above.... your own boldily "pheromones" should take care of things "naturally".
    This is a borderline dangerous suggestion. Prolonged exposure to UV rays causes skin cancer, and us mountain bikers spend a lot of time in the sun. Sunscreen is not junk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    No. Just ride faster.

Yes on the sunscreen, though. That's just common sense. Sun will give you cancer. Bugs got nothing on that...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Haven't backpacked for 20 years but when i did we used 100% military deet that warmed your hands and balls on contact. We were wearing it 24/7 for a week but afer all the warning came out about it i switched to Skin so Soft. Contains no deet, is a repellant, lotion, and sunscreen all in one so saved space in the pack. Its highly effective against no seeums, small moquitos and non-biting knats. Fresh it would hold off deer flys and the biting green eyed knats but after 20 minutes it would not.

I use deep woods off now and it does not melt the paint on my Bell helmet.

mtbr member
    When I mountain bike, yes.

No known cure
    The bugs are horrible here in the mountains this year but they really don't bug me They do go after the dogs though. My other half has a business making natural bath and beauty products. Her bug spray consists of a essential oil, distilled alcohol(vodka) and distilled water. For the dogs, we use eucalyptus oil and it keeps the mosquitos and deer flys away.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales