mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Do any San Diego shops take trade ins?

Hey guys, thought this would be the best section to ask. I've been asking every local shop I've walked into with no luck. Am not having much luck selling my 26er full squish and was wondering if anyone knew of a San Diego shop who either takes trade ins or buys used bikes? I'm trying to add a 29er fs to my collection.

I'm trying to avoid this thread looking like spam, so I won't name the bike I'm trying to get rid of. I hear of shops outside of california buying back bikes or taking trade ins...is it just a cali thing? if any San Diego natives could provide me with any info at all, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've never heard of a bike shop doing such a thing. If you can't sell it, you're simply asking too much. Lower the price or keep it for nostalgia's sake. Only you can decide the cost/benefit of that decision.
    I think all my bikes are worth their weight in gold; but I don't expect others feel the same. Throw out what bike you're trying to sell and the peanut gallery here can give you an idea of what you can expect to get for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Trek Superstores do. Go to there web-site
    and you can do it online.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdonner View Post
    I've never heard of a bike shop doing such a thing. If you can't sell it, you're simply asking too much. Lower the price or keep it for nostalgia's sake. Only you can decide the cost/benefit of that decision.
    I think all my bikes are worth their weight in gold; but I don't expect others feel the same. Throw out what bike you're trying to sell and the peanut gallery here can give you an idea of what you can expect to get for it.
    Me either, but I'm constantly reading about people trading in bikes for store credit...around the united states. Every shop i ask around here wont entertain the idea. This bike has no sentimental value, and not being used right now. I love the bike but am happier on my 29er hardtail. I was hoping a shop could just give me a few bucks towards a 29er fs frame. Ive had it listed on cl for a few weeks but no interest at all. with OBO . Ill check with the trek store and see how that works. Thanks.

To anyone who buys and sells used bikes frequently, Is it just tough selling anything these days? Are you having better luck parting it out, or complete build locally? The bike is a giant trance x3 2009, large, all stock and clean...if anyone could let me know a fair selling price, it would be appreciated. Maybe my idea of the actual value is completely off...im going off the lowest recent auction sale I can find online obo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You'd be better off trying to sell it on the classifieds here or on ebay than on craigslist, if it is priced right it will move, you'll probably have to box it up and ship it though.

I've never heard of a shop taking trade-ins in San Diego...

mtbr member
    trek but you are better of selling it your self

mtbr member
    double post
    Last edited by fastmq; 12-15-2012 at 06:01 PM.

mtbr member
    You can put it up on pinkbike, their classifieds section is huge and gets a lot of traffic. UC Cyclery referred me to a guy in SD who buys used bikes off people. He offered me 1100 for my 2012 reign 1 in great condition, however I sold it on pinkbike for 1600. The trance is a popular bike and should move quick if its the right price.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    It is a tough sell locally this time of year. If you want top dollar take the time to part the bike out on ebay. I recently helped a friend sell a KHS soft tail that he had listed for $400 on craigslist several times with no takers. I parted it out for him and got him over $650 and I kept the tires, tubes, grips, and the X.0 rear derailler. All that plus a pitcher of beer. It is more work ofcourse but you may be suprised what you can get. Go on Ebay and do an advanced search on completed listings to find out what your parts are worth.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    To anyone who buys and sells used bikes frequently, Is it just tough selling anything these days? Are you having better luck parting it out, or complete build locally? The bike is a giant trance x3 2009, large, all stock and clean...if anyone could let me know a fair selling price, it would be appreciated. Maybe my idea of the actual value is completely off...im going off the lowest recent auction sale I can find online obo.
    Bummer, don't have an answer for you; but it sounds like you're going about it in the right manner. I agree with others to cast your net farther, so to speak. In addition to PB and MTBR maybe post on CL in other mtbing hot spots. Sorry I was to the point in my previous post. Sometimes you see stuff on CL and its obvious the seller is out of touch with reality... Best of luck.

Ninja Master Powers
    If it helps I sold my 09 trance x3 in March for 950.00.
    I had upgraded the brakes, rotors, bars, stem, pedals, tires and added a Blakspire chain tensioner.

I was in very good condition, just a couple minor scratches from normal use.

I asked 1,100.00 for it. I wish now that I wouldn't have sold it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    I've bought and sold about 10 bikes in the past 2 years. It requires patience and you need to hold out to get the price you want. Post it on craigslist up in LA, IE and OC too. That helps a lot. The best way to get your money back on every time you sell a bike, is to purchase it at the lowest price as well. I usually make about 200$ profit on every bike I sell because I purchase them at such low prices. I just made 600$ profit on my last bike I sold.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I appreciate all the honest responses. I really wanted to sell it locally to a new rider looking for a very nice starting platform. Ive had it on craigslist and have only had a few really low offers. I bought the bike brand new and understand I'll only get a fraction of its original value. I have it listed for 850 or best offer. All the offers have been $600. Am I really off the mark by that much? I see guys on cl asking for as much as 90% of its original cost all the time...I was trying to be realistic on price. I'll list it on mtbr as recommended.

I tried contacting trek but have not heard back from them yet...I did the online form .. Oh well. I wanted to take the money and put it towards a frame..which is why I first asked about trade ins. At this point I may end up parting it out. I sell online all the time, but wanted this to be a quick sale. I'll also take a look at the other suggestions for listing it..as well as the mtbr classified. appreciate the help. I have a much better understanding for the used market now.

mtbr member
    I have a buddy I've been trying to get into trail riding. Maybe he will take it off your hands. I might buy it because I love having 2 bikes for some reason..... but I've decided my next bike is going to be an AM 29er hardtail, the diamondback mason!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    I have a buddy I've been trying to get into trail riding. Maybe he will take it off your hands. I might buy it because I love having 2 bikes for some reason..... but I've decided my next bike is going to be an AM 29er hardtail, the diamondback mason!
    Thanks for the lead. I've been trying to list it here in the mtbr forum as well. I had no intentions of trying to sell it In this thread, Just was confused about the used market. Sounds like I've gotten broaden my market.

Ihaveagibsonsg: must be nice. There's so many cool bikes out there, and sounds like you find a way to swap bikes on a regular basis. Must be fun testing out all the different frame designs. It's almost impossible to really test ride a bike around here aside from that rare and brief demo day the shops put on. If you ever come across a size large athem x or jet9 carbon/rdo , let me know cheers

mtbr member
    Money is tight, $800+ bikes don't sell as quickly as $300-$600 bikes but if you think it's priced right, just keep reposting and wait for the right buyer.