Thread: DMM uproar?

mtbr member

DMM uproar?

I heard from a Par Dee insider that there is some movement regarding the Del Mar Mesa bike trails. I haven't heard of anything, but if the issue is with their property, why?
    Don't forget to unswerve!

mtbr member
    movement???? at the cac meeting thursday, a pardee rep is supposed to go over their plans.

what do you mean by movement???

mtbr member
    I got this second hand, but the words "movement" and "activity" and "uproar" were used. It seemed like they are expecting some sort of organized activity regarding the mesa. I could be wrong, since this is second hand info, but I am just sending feelers out there to see if its true.
    Don't forget to unswerve!

mtbr member

Wink

Yep, it's a movement. The Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacre Del Mar Mesa Movement, and we're hosting the first-annual fundraiser rave party after the CAC meeting on Thursday.

You can ride anywhere you want,
    but not the del mar mesa.
    Yes, you can ride anywhere you want,
    but not the del mar mesa,
    Just climb right up the Telephone Poles
    Ride around on top and get the hell home,
    You can ride any where you want
    but not up on the mesa.

I uploaded the CAC agenda to the MTC site and posted some info, and if you come to the meeting and sing a few bars of that, they'll all look at you kinda strange. If you show up and sing it with Greg Lambert (in harmony), they'll just think the two of you are fruitcakes. But, what if everybody comes in and sings it? Why, it'd be a movement...

You get the idea.

mtbr member
    if there was to be an uproar, it's a little late now. have you seen the place? it's a demo zone.

the carmel valley paper had a story about how sad everyone was and that the horses and hikers only get through the shaw valley trail on the weekends -- when do we get to use the shaw valley trail???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by el_d00der1n0
    when do we get to use the shaw valley trail???
    Well, there's a fair question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Well, there's a fair question.
    any chance of that happening?

mtbr member
    I don't know. I mean, I am certain that a few people with great influence would oppose such an idea as a matter of course, but I'm equally as sure that it definitely won't happen if the community doesn't ask for it.

The same people that would oppose non-dscriminatory multiuse designation for that trail also said, "No how, no way" when the community asked for equal treatment on trails in PQ. Now, I'll admit PQ trail designations may not be entirely equitable or smart, but things sure are better than they were 5 years ago.

It takes a movement.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

It takes a movement.
    I'm just glad I'm not yet old enough to actually look forward to a movement every day.............:-)

YR

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    I'm just glad I'm not yet old enough to actually look forward to a movement every day.............:-)

YR
    Hey at least you would have something to look forward to on a daily basis.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

... and if we just ... bring the hate

I don't know. I mean, I am certain that a few people with great influence would oppose such an idea as a matter of course, but I'm equally as sure that it definitely won't happen if the community doesn't ask for it.

Drop the political correctness, drop the gloves, go for the jugular.

Contact first the local representative, then the mayor, then the parks and rec department, the head of open space, trail council (?), the Governors office and everyone in between. I do this and get some responses but one person yelling helps little.

When you send the emails CC' everyone and their brothers.

Mention the amount of revenue mountain biking generates in the local communities, mention the closing of trails and the heavier number of mountain bikers (as opposed to horses and hikers). Mention the local businesses that benefit from the sales of bikes, of snacks, of water and burritos after the ride.

I'm not bagging the SDMBA, the meetings, or the PR that takes place at any level. One group with designated representative simply cannot make enough noise in todays world.

Quite simply, sitting and stating ones case benefits mountain bikers very little. I understand the SDMBA officer will note the progress being made by doing trail work, giving a good PR to mountain bikers etc.
    While everyone may feel great about "the work done", where is the give backs?
    Who is giving what back?
    They are "allowing" trails like Cowles to stay open after threatening to close it? F- that, what was the "real" reason for threatening to close it in the first place?

Walk out. Stop the trail maintenance. Stop the handshakes. Stop all of the "we are going to scratch your backsand make us look great". Stop being nice. Nice has been done and no one is budging. Now, be pricks, just like they are being pricks.

It is time as a group(of mountain bikers) to start contacting people above and beyond out local little canyons groups here. It is time to stop giving and say "We are willig to give ...but NOT until you give back, period end of discussion"

Think it will not be beneficial?
    Talk to the flightline people. Oh yeah wait flightline is closed.
    Talk to the Pardee folks... Oh yeah DMM is closed
    Talk to Ranger Walker... Oh, he wants trails closed but has heard a lot of complaints. Hell, he *should* be out and about Saturday at Mission trails for MT day. 200 people approaching him and TACTFULLY expressing their concern for more *NEW* trails makes on hell of a statement.

Thats just my opinion. I know things take time but guess what... In the last 17 years ... the only changes that I have witnessed have been more trails closed and less opportunity to ride.

Thats what I have to say about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd
    In the last 17 years ... the only changes that I have witnessed have been more trails closed and less opportunity to ride.
    Bummer to see the bulldozers scrape, huh? Who here disagrees with that? You haven't been watching very closely over the last 17 years, though, at least in you're in San Diego.

mtbr member
    Well, we got the info and an opportunity, but not much uproar or movement. We also learned of a proposal to sanitize Cobblestone tomorrow (seriously ). Updates posted on the MTC site today and I'm going to lunch.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    E,

Check your PM.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    OCD might be shocked, but the "genuine" sanitizing referred to above has been averted. Details posted on that craptastic Yahoo group.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Ho-Hum

OCD might be shocked, but the "genuine" sanitizing referred to above has been averted. Details posted on that craptastic Yahoo group.
    Save the drama

Why not send the info to all of the SDMBA members?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd
    Save the drama

Why not send the info to all of the SDMBA members?
    Three reasons: 1) not interested in the drama today; 2) not in possession of SDMBA mailing list; 3) have an established way to reach interested parties.

Have a good weekend.