mtbr member

... and if we just ... Ditch Witch SK 500 in Southern or Central CA?

So we're looking for one of these
    a Ditch Witch SK 500 to help build the new LONGER Chamberlin Ranch Downhill course and a re-route of the XC trail. We're not completely abandoning the old DH, we just want more DH opportunities, and to eliminate the shuttles up a county road.

We'd like to use one as a demo at first before considering a lease. Any help with this would br great!

In case you have not heard Stump Grinder Productions LLC (my wife and I) is starting the Stump Grinder Dirt Club in June of 2008. This will be a paid membership driven club ran much like a private gun club or motocross track. It will be open every weekend, that SGP is not already doing an event, like the Santa Ynez Valley Classic NMBS or 24 Hrs. of Chamberlin Ranch, or if it has rained within 4 days. The SGDC will also be open for riding Wednesday's from 3 to 8PM.

Our goals are to provide (eventually) 4 different DH runs, a Dual Slalom course (being built this winter by Landon from Lake Tahoe), and countless miles of XC single track, all conflict free from other trail users, however there will be some cows ... all abilities will be able to use the place. It will also be open to non-members for a larger gate fee. We are still working on all the pricing and perks.

The SK 500 will do wonders to help me provide this great opportunity to my fellow mountain bikers.

Thanks,

Fast Hecky

mtbr member
    doesn't elings have one they might let you borrow?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Hero
    doesn't elings have one they might let you borrow?
    it belongs to RF, and it is a mini ex, a 36" kabota, not what i want to use up there at the ranch ... i want to use it all the time, we have a whole series of trails to build ... plus i plan to use for my tree company as well. the DW SK500 has all sorts of really cool attachements, like a tiller, a 6 in 1 blade, and even a wood splitter

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    look for one on here, www.machinerytrader.com

~~~~~~~~
    I'm pretty sure that the state trail crew here on Maui just got one of those, I'll have to double check the model #, it is a ditch witch. you might have to pm me to remind me.

mtbr member
    where are you building this trail? check with your local tracker rental places. i am sure somebody has it.
    i see elings was mentioned, so are you in sb?

Shane

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Are you planning on doing this at chamberlin ranch? Or is this a seperate property? ,Just curious how close it will be to Ventura.
    As for the Ditch Witch you might wanna try these guys: http://www.venturarental.com/equipment/index.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    We (CORBA Trail Crew) just demoed a Toro Dingo DX 520. We are building a pump track on private land near Gorman. Pacific Equipment in Oxnard delivered it to us and gave us instructions on how to use it. It is very easy to operate and like the Ditch Witch it has many attachments. The 520 is the diesel and the 420 is gas. Try it out it works great!

Pacific Equipment
    805 893 6166
    www.corbamtb.com CORBA-Working for MTB Access in the L.A. area.
    www.otbmbc.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid56
    where are you building this trail? check with your local tracker rental places. i am sure somebody has it.
    i see elings was mentioned, so are you in sb?

Shane
    Well, that pic is outside Cleavland, Ohio I believe. The Stump Grider Dirt Club will be located on Chamberlin Ranch (Site of the Santa Ynez Valley NMBS aka Firestone) outside Los Olivos.

Exciting things just keep happening up here. Tomorrow we have Landon Taylor from Lake Tahoe arriving to build our Dual Slalom and new DH run! In the coming weeks and months we will need volunteers to smooth in the features and such. We don't want a bunch of people this weekend because we just want Landon to do his thing!

Special thanks to the guys over at NEMA International for underwritting the costs of building these new additions!

Are you and some pals in on that volunteer action? The deal is, as it always has been work from 8 to 12 then spend the afternoon until 4ish riding the stuff.

mh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerpier137
    Are you planning on doing this at chamberlin ranch?
    All at CR. We plan to convert as much cattle single track and add sigange as we can. The goal is to have a destination club for mountain bikers to enjoy and hone thier skills, for all abilities!

mtbr member
    well ****, sure. i am always down to help out when i can. when the time comes, just shoot me a PM
    Shane

Flaccid Member
    Fundamentally, if you are going to have an LLC, with the purpose of running a DH course for a profit, you should consider renting a unit as part of your start up costs. Don't be so cheap, the folks in Santa Ynez, for the most part are equestrians with a whole lot more money than the DH'ers.

El Presidente's situation is different, the track we've been building there is on private property. There is no fee or membership to ride that track and CORBA is a 501 C3 non profit organization that the Dingo was demo'd under.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member

Well ...

In reply to randy boy ... did you call me cheap?

I'm not one of those rich, well to do SY people that you speak of, I have to work very hard for every penny, just like most people. Plus I don't plan to ask a dealer to donate a demo week or so to the SGDC. I have a dingo on the way from a "sponsor" of the NMBS race in May. This same rental company is providing the equipment to build the DS and new DH runs this weekend. By the way this is all on private property as well.

As for being for profit, well, I doubt that I'll be making anything, but then again if I get paid for my hard work, then that's a bonus. I'm sure my wife would apperciate it! As I'm always having to justify my service to the sport to my awesome wife Trish. We own another biz that pays the bills, race promoting, or organizing the SGDC hasn't ever paid the bills, nor do I think it will in the near future. One can always hope though. I would hope that concensus of most would be that by providing races and a place to ride that I do provide a good thing to the sport.

Keep in mind all I'm trying to do is provide a cool place for mountain bike riders of all types, not just DH, to come have fun, at a fair price, without the hassles of riding with other screwed up trail users.

This type of "club" is the norm in many other sports, like motocross, can it work in mountain biking?

mh

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Hey Shane,

I'm up there working on stuff whenever I can. I'll let you know when I'm planning on going up that way.

Mike, I can't wait to see where the new DH course is going to be.

-Paul

mtbr member

mas

Quote Originally Posted by fast hecky
    As for being for profit, well, I doubt that I'll be making anything, but then again if I get paid for my hard work, then that's a bonus.
    On top of everything else the ranch wants very little, still several 10's of thousands annually to open the ranch and expose themselves to the liability. Pretty cool that thier even willing to do it.

mh

mtbr member
    i would agree. i find it very surprising that they let us ride there (i haven't yet as this is the first i have heard of it. man, i am soo out of the loop )

they should have a donation bin at the gate

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Wow this sounds like its gonna be awesome, How much are you planning on charging? I am also very willing to help build and i know some of my riding buddys would be too, so when your gonna have a volunteer build day just PM me and ill be glad to help, and ride of course.