Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dirt North of SB

658 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bjunsveltie 
#1 ·
Coming from Nor Cal and camping at El Cap. this week. Read of a few trails that exist from the top of Refugio but access is via 10 miles of pavement? ew. Any 2-4 hour rides in the area that I dont have to shuttle and dont have to go road-ala-mode?

#3 ·
DHidiot said:
Gaviota Peak trail. Starts off San Julian Highway just N of the tunnel on 101N (go E at the exit). I've never done it, just know it's there. It's legal I think so there should be details online somewhere.
Yep, read about it. Just have to drive to get there. I am a truck camper with the fam. No drive once arrive.:madman:

#4 ·
Gaviota Peak Info

I've done Gaviota Peak several times (as I only live about 10 minutes away). Its not that great of a ride, but if you do decide to go here's some info:

1) Park just outside of the gate/fenced area, if you park in the parking lot you need a one day adventure pass.

2) its all uphill (lots of up hill) to the peak, about 1 mile up the trail splits, go left towards the peak. If you go right you end up a very ill maintained trail called Trespass Trail, and although it legal to ride I don't recommend it. For one since the fire a few years ago the trail doesn't connect to the Peak, and secondly this is where I spotted a cougar a few years ago.

3) climb

4) right and saddle back up super steep last bit to the Peak

5) enjoy the views of the Channel Islands and sign the book in the can

6) return the same way, or hang a left at the saddle and ride the ridge. More beautiful views but it eventually dead ends into Ronald Regan's old ranch, and no they don't let you cross it.

7) there are others ways back down other than the way you come up, but I don't recommend it if you're by yourself and you're not a local because you have to cross a few private ranches with cattle.

Gaviota Peak is a good for a quick hard climbing workout with good views of the Pacific, but its not an all day epic. Do yourself a favor and go ride Little Pine off Paradise Road and hwy 154. Its about a 45 drive from where you're camping but its totally worth it.

-Greg

#7 ·
scabrider said:
you could ride the fire roads up el cap canyon i guess...
Thanks for the responses.

Did the fire roads out of el cap canyon, about an hour loop (with a 10 minute hike) - off camber DH, impossible climbs and tons o stickers - 3 flats in one ride -.....yikes. Talked with some other folks down there who did say there are some great trails worth riding, but that as hot as it was last weekend, nothing was going to be too fun.
Really makes me appreciate a maintained trail.

Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.