mtbr member
    Nov 2006

dirt MOTORbikes @ sycamore canyon...

I've been going to sycamore once a week, once every two weeks and every single time I come across people riding dirt motorcycles... Is that legal...
    Last time around this one guy could have killed me as he was crossing a single track I was on at full speed...
    Whats' up with that?

I don't really have anything against people riding dirt bikes, four wheel, just wondering if they are supposed to be there...
    And in case they are, they should be sensitive to hikers and mountain bikers...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    BRO! all i gotta say bro is

Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    ..Remember, trails up there are clear and existent because of the constant moto traffic.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Moto's have been in the canyon for years - illegal yes but it happens.

It can be dangerous so keep the ears open and try not to get hit. Sucs I know but not much we can do.
    It wasn't me

Front Range, Colorado
    Yeah MX bikes were the original riders of all the trails we MTBers are riding now. They have been pushed out of almost all areas of San Diego and even most of the desert. So can you blame them for hitting up some trails that they have been on for years but have since been banned from? I say give them a break and let them do their thing and just be aware of and careful of their presence. You can hear them coming, they can not hear you. Just keep your eyes and ears peeled and move out of the way let them pass and continue on your way. If you run into any real wise asses MXers just let them know you have the right to report them as being riding an illegal trail system. They will most likely realize you are right and try to lay low as not to draw anymore unwanted attention to themselves.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-17-2008 at 03:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

thanks for the heads up...

Ok... and I agree...the last thing we need is more people against mountain biking...
    I guess the drill is to wait for them to go by if they happen to be around the area we are riding...

Liaison
    A lot of gas bikes use areas that we peddlers don't go to much. I'm thinking about some of the ridge trails and the old race track stuff over on Fanita Ranch. With the Fanita project now "on hold" they have some more time to play out there.

I just wish that when they ride the single track they'd hold off on gassing it around the corners. Just turns 'em to dust and knocks down those nice banks it took all winter to get sweet again.

For the time being we're all "questionalble" out there but one of the things that keeps our claim on the old Stowe Trail is constant use. Some day (2011?) a bunch of the single track will be part of Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves then the gas bikes will have no more access.

Under any circumstances, motorcycles in the park should not be tolerated and should be reported to the Sheriff or the Ranger staff.
    SDMBA Liaison, Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves

I <3 Dirt
    Totally agree with Gardner. These guys have as much right to ride between West Hills and the gate as we do. I've seen guys 4 wheeling late at night and I often see motos hitting the jumps, whoops and berms in the fanita ranch area. For the most part they stay off our singletrack.

Like us, they are being limited to fewer and fewer areas to ride. I don't think there are any legal areas for them to ride in suburban SD. Can't blame them for poaching out there in my opinion.

Liaison
    I heard a kid got hurt recently on his moto out on Fanita. He was flighted out but wasn't as badly hurt as first thought. Now we'll see how Barratt reacts. I doubt they even have money to put up fence but who knows what they'll do if they feel their liability is being pushed too much.

This is exactly why private property trails often get shut down. Although this is a moto issue in this case it's one of the reasons SDMBA is looking to get legal free ride opportunities in S.D.
    SDMBA Liaison, Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Sycamore Canyon

The wife and I just got back from a week campout at Sycamore Canyon. Actually we stayed at Thornhill Broome but we ride Sycamore. I have been going there for many years and I think I recall hearing dirt bikes there only once. I'm also a dual sport rider and can relate with both sides. Yeh, the dirt bikes are definetly not allowed in there, that's what Gorman ( Hungry Valley ) is for.

Mike