mtbr member
    May 2008

DIrt Jumps North County San Diego

I was wondering if anyone could pm me some locations trying to get back into the scene but everything i use to ride is a house now .

Thanks in advance.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Calavera.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Lurking sounds so dirty
    They're wherever you make them or you can check out the BMX track in Kearny Mesa.

It's been said several times before and I know it's like pissing in the wind, but please don't post the locations in the public forum. Use a PM instead.
    You'll know it's me when you see me at Calaveras carrying my 12" Kabar.

Green Mojo
    Why should you not post locations in this forum? I must have missed this advice in all of my thousands of viewings...... What is the reasoning behind this idea?

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerneil
    Why should you not post locations in this forum? I must have missed this advice in all of my thousands of viewings...... What is the reasoning behind this idea?
    Here's why...

e.g. Someone posts location of dirt jumps online-dirt jumps receive large numbers of visitors-jumps are torn down by landowner.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerneil
    Why should you not post locations in this forum?..
    i know i would be pissed if i saw directions to all my hard work. it's just as easy for you to pick up a shovel and make your own jumps as is it is for me to do the same. the only difference is that i don't ask questions, i build jumps...

Skeej

Calavera is NOT the place to build jumps - THIS IS FOR RESPONSIBLE USE

RESPONSIBLE BIKERS ONLY HERE!

No, do not come to Calavera to build jumps or anything else without permission. This is a relatively pristine area, until Flightline was closed, which runs the risk of becoming closed to Mountain Bikers for the illegal trail building by a selfish few, who happen to be sneakily building illegal trails, bridges and so forth on nearby State land, and have apparently this summer built 1200 feet of trail on the south side of Calavera Mountain.
    This is very sad, and very disturbing, because its for the detriment of all who do and could use this in future, responsibly.

Here is why - The Calavera Nature Preserve is about to be taken over by DFG. This is a good thing, because, with gentle positive support this PRESERVE, which is technically open to use for recreational use, and has long past historical use and a demonstrated history of 8 years of continuous support by MTBers, formally dating back to NPLD 2002,

THIS COULD BECOME THE DEMO SITE FOR NORTH COUNTY FOR MULTI-USE. Who knows, maybe a Whistler style bike park? Why not dream?

But not if people go and build midnite trails on the managers land!!!

So, anyone who built this trail - south face of Mt Calavera smack in the middle of the last remaining unspoiled california gnatcatcher habitat, for which this 110 acres was specifically set aside as for HABITAT PRESERVE, own up, and be prepared to do the work to fix your mistake.

Now get this - thats not a criticism for building the trail or how you did it- its actually a pretty good trail, route, elevation and technique-wise, with rolling grade reversals per IMBA trail book to shed water - and it provides a better alternative to the straight up the fall line trail that is constantly eroding, is manifestly dangerous to hikers, bikers and everyone else, including the equestrians that have also been illegally using this area,
    but which has dumped several tons of dirt into the road below.

The problem is you did it without permission!
    On PRIVATE LAND BELONGING TO A NON_PROFIT, HELD IN TRUST BY THE COURT.

If a developer or the state or the city or the land manager had bull dozed this much land, they would be fined hundreds of dollars AND have to take it out AND have to fix the mistake, to the usual formula of 3 to 1 mitigation.

So, lets see - is the MTB community serious about becoming partners or not?.
    How many people here will sign up to restore 3 x 1200 feet of trail in order to reclaim land as mitigation this single track?

Will the builders of this trail step out of the shadows to take responsibility (because as nice as the route is, it currently ends in a deadend that funnels traffic no-where, and the untamped and unreinforced edges of this trail will wash away with the first big rain- trust me I have worked on this land for 8 years personally and I know.

Call me if you want to do good.

Skeej
    AKA

Kevin Skjei
    Malena Consulting
    760-712-2590
    kevin.skjei@gmail.com