Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dead Sailor
    Mar 2004

Dirt Jumping in Orange County?

Okay I've been chasing leads all week and have only two punctured tires to show for it. I've found lots of sites that are bulldozed, but not a single real jump. Any one know of a place? I live in Irvine but I'm willing to do a bit of travelling. So far the only place I know is around for sure is that YMCA in Encinitas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    JOSH
    Freeride: To ride and feel free... no matter what you do or where you do it isn't that what it is all about?

mtbr member
    You riding a mtn bike dj frame or a BMX?

There's Sheep Hills in HB.
    Those jumps are pretty hard to pull off on a DJ mountain bike though. The rhythm sections are built super close and pretty damn vertical. It's pretty a BMX place with jumps like that.

Fairview Park in Costa Mesa has a puny section that someone tries to build up lazily, it's gets bulldozed all the time, so not worth the trip unless you happen to be in the neighborhood and your bike happens to be on your roof rack.

If you happen to be in West Los Angeles region, there's the MDR jumps (Marina Del Rey), but it's on private property in the wetlands and security will chase you out. But the rentacop leaves at 6pm and with the summer daylight, you can get some jumps in.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

Dead Sailor
    Mar 2004
    Its a mountain bike
    Freeride: To ride and feel free... no matter what you do or where you do it isn't that what it is all about?

Samsonite Tester
    Sheep Hills is Back Bay New Port Beach / Costa Mesa
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Dead Sailor
    Mar 2004
    Can you give more detailed directions, and is it really as difficult as he says to ride a mtb there? I ride a Giant STP. It isn't that much longer than a BMX bike. I don't really know because I'm pretty new at this.

JOSH

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by JOSH130
    Can you give more detailed directions, and is it really as difficult as he says to ride a mtb there? I ride a Giant STP. It isn't that much longer than a BMX bike. I don't really know because I'm pretty new at this.

JOSH
    Those are the best directions you are likely to get. This is a protected location. Hell the Back Bay is not very big. You should find it easily.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    May 2004

I know where there are (or were)

Bolsa Chica wetlands enter from the first street off Warner Ave
    Sheep Hills in Costa Mesa
    Hidden Valley in HB
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    Pretty sure the bolsa chica wetlands jumps are still there. Bolsa Chica St. dead ends into the dirt trail after it crosses Warner and goes through a small amount of residential. Just keep taking the trail for about 1/4-1/2 mile and you'll hit 'em.

They've got a couple of introductory jumps for schmucks like me who can't hit doubles. The doubles they have are very BMX oriented though. Last time I was there kids were doing backflips....sans helmets.
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    And by the way....does anyone know where the jumps are by Whiting Ranch? I've heard they exist but have never been able to find 'em.
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

Dead Sailor
    Mar 2004
    I think I saw them a few days ago, but when I tried to get down there it was closed of by a new pipline being laid. Tried to get around that but there was a gaurd. So either I found the jumps or I found really nice dirt for jumps. Either way I got frustrated and made this thread. I may try going out to Bolsa. I'm also thinking of just building some.

JOSH

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Okay I've been chasing leads all week and have only two punctured tires to show for it. I've found lots of sites that are bulldozed, but not a single real jump. Any one know of a place? I live in Irvine but I'm willing to do a bit of travelling. So far the only place I know is around for sure is that YMCA in Encinitas.

JOSH
    There are some huge jumps off the Fullerton Loop. Although not part of the the loop they are not far off the trail. The jumps are behind the brea dam. If your riding the loop take a right instead of a left after passing through the tubes under Bastunchury road. Happy flying.

Dead Sailor
    Mar 2004
    I've never really figured out the fullerton loop, and that was were I went looking first. Does anyone have more directions? That is the best fit for me since it is right next to were I work (Disneyland).

JOSH

My dogs are killin me
    Hey JOSH130,
    I live right on the fullerton loop. Here is the easiest way to get down to the jumps. Coming from the 91 fwy take Harbor North. Take a right on Valencia Mesa into St. Jude Hospital. you will see the hospital is on your left and there are tennis courts straight in front of you. You want to take the dirt road that runs right in front of the tennis courts to your right. Follow that down towards the dam and stay left the small BMX jumps are off to your right sort of hidden in the bushes and trees. Good luck. I have been trying to find some places to make a couple drops/jumps but they have to be in inconspicuous places as trail maintenance goes through there a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygrounder
    And by the way....does anyone know where the jumps are by Whiting Ranch? I've heard they exist but have never been able to find 'em.
    I'd assume the whiting ranch jumps you hear of are actually the Oakley jumps. I've been out there a couple times a week lately work on new jumps and bridges.

theres a reason you may not be able to find lots of the jumps....they are intentionally kept secret and hidden. more people = more problems and eventual tear downs.
    AJ

PITY THE FOOL!
    So far the only place I know is around for sure is that YMCA in Encinitas.

JOSH
    I pretty sure there are no dirt jumps at the Encinitas Y however there is a sick skatepark that is huge. They do have bike days (not sure of the schedule) and the website says BMX bikes but I'm not sure if they actually keep MTBs out of the park.

check out the pictures on the website. It's a really nice park.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

here some jumps for a few days ago

was bored, just threw some pics of a recent outing

http://www.mynewdomain4now.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Less is better, Whiting

Less is better!
    We have been going there also, fun stuff and nice and tucked away, i used to ride moto up there, couple of fun tracks back in the day

here some pics,

Quote Originally Posted by zjchaser
    I'd assume the whiting ranch jumps you hear of are actually the Oakley jumps. I've been out there a couple times a week lately work on new jumps and bridges.

theres a reason you may not be able to find lots of the jumps....they are intentionally kept secret and hidden. more people = more problems and eventual tear downs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superhawk
    Less is better!
    We have been going there also, fun stuff and nice and tucked away, i used to ride moto up there, couple of fun tracks back in the day

here some pics,

Looks good. Ya know the jump that goes into and out of the gully to the right when standing on top of the "hole". cool jump that put you into bushes? Yesterday we built a berm after it and added a bridge crossing the gap then a little tiny jump that puts you back onto the main line. if you see a kid o na blue bullit(me) and on on a brown bighit(with pink accents) say hi. I'm suprised theres barely ever anyone there
    AJ

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

cool

Cool
    We might be there tomorrow afternoon, depends on *cough* work

Fun place and not to many people on it, Who buit most of it?

Quote Originally Posted by zjchaser
    Looks good. Ya know the jump that goes into and out of the gully to the right when standing on top of the "hole". cool jump that put you into bushes? Yesterday we built a berm after it and added a bridge crossing the gap then a little tiny jump that puts you back onto the main line. if you see a kid o na blue bullit(me) and on on a brown bighit(with pink accents) say hi. I'm suprised theres barely ever anyone there

mtbr member
    not sure who built it., that roll in bridge is still my favorite thing there..soo smooth. we just started going there a month ago but have been trying to add to it. we'll probably be there tomorrow too after 3
    AJ

Chillin the Most

Nice pics...

was bored, just threw some pics of a recent outing

hey is your bro with the Monster riding an old skool Psycle Werks DH. Looks somewhat familiar...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Merrrrjig
    Jan 2004
    I think im heading out to the oakley jumps on friday around 3

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

where?

Where did ya get that picture?
    Im not going to say my buddies name here but you might have heard of him
    something that starts with a M?

Quote Originally Posted by red5
    hey is your bro with the Monster riding an old skool Psycle Werks DH. Looks somewhat familiar...

Chillin the Most
    Where did ya get that picture?
    Im not going to say my buddies name here but you might have heard of him
    something that starts with a M?
    The gentleman in that pic is my bro. He used to ride that bike many years ago. That was taken on San Juan.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

buddy

oh cool

ya, hes a good friend of mine, hes stil riding that bike now

Quote Originally Posted by red5
    The gentleman in that pic is my bro. He used to ride that bike many years ago. That was taken on San Juan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast