mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DH riding scene in Santa Barbara/Goleta

I am going to UCSB next year, and was wondering what the riding scene is like. I'm not asking for directions to trails, cause I know they are kept on the DL. I would just like to know if I am going to find a decent amount of DH trails or dirt jumps when I live down there. If you don't wanna say anything on the public board, please pm me. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    To answer your question- you will be pleasantly surprised!!! My suggestion: ride the more well known trails (cough cough mtbr trail review section cough cough). Introduce yourself while on the trail.... show respect.... join a group ride or two... buy a trail book... get in tight with a bike shop..... take the blood oath (of silence)- ........ Give it time.

Consider that my PM.

Equal opportunity meanie
    We've got some stuff.....

Glad to Be Alive
    Buy a bell for your bike so it makes noise...that is a big priority.....also something to cover your mouth.......you are going to have the biggest grin you will need to keep the bugs out
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    If you're actually considering getting a bell, try getting two bells and tie them to your shoes, while you're at it wear spandex.

pwn3rator
    Quote Originally Posted by trail bait
    If you're actually considering getting a bell, try getting two bells and tie them to your shoes, while you're at it wear spandex.
    you really actually need a bell in SB, it's the only thing that really helps keep bikers on the trails. without one the hikers complain that they can't hear us and that we are scary. so stfu nub...
    [SIZE=-4]SOCAL UNION REPREZENT[/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

NATE CORE
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    you really actually need a bell in SB, it's the only thing that really helps keep bikers on the trails. without one the hikers complain that they can't hear us and that we are scary. so stfu nub...
    HAHA. [SIZE="7"]SLAP!!![/SIZE]

That was sweet scabrider
    you like dags??

mtbr member
    I have not hit a rider or hiker, and have managed to share the trail since the best part of you ran down your mommy's leg. With out a bell, call me lucky call me slow, or maybe its the fact that I pay attention and am in control of my bike. But if I make my way to Santa Barbara I'll bring my bells and reflectors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by n8whitie
    HAHA. [SIZE="7"]SLAP!!![/SIZE]

That was sweet scabrider
    check the post boys

Equal opportunity meanie
    I have not hit a rider or hiker, and have managed to share the trail since the best part of you ran down your mommy's leg. With out a bell, call me lucky call me slow, or maybe its the fact that I pay attention and am in control of my bike. But if I make my way to Santa Barbara I'll bring my bells and reflectors.
    Big-rig air horn too.

I have always had this sick fantasy of having one of those on my handlebars with no bell and a silent hub and coming around blind corners to freak the hikers into pissing themselves. But alas, I'll just keep the bell on....

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Big-rig air horn too.

I have always had this sick fantasy of having one of those on my handlebars with no bell and a silent hub and coming around blind corners to freak the hikers into pissing themselves. ....

dumb....come on you know better
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    you're kind of missing the point here. just because you allegedly have not needed on in the past does not mean it is unnecessary in the future.

do you wear a seatbelt in your car? those were deemed unnecessary not too long ago. How about a helmet? the examples can go on and on. it's not that you "need" a bell, it's just a courtesy that makes hiker/cyclist relations that much better. does a bell slow you down? does a bell make the ride less enjoyable? given the choice of use a bell or risk trail closures, I think the choice is pretty clear........
    YR

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Trail bait- I am sure you are quite considerate when riding trails. Your clean biking record speaks for itself.

Biker Guy- The reason for the bell has just as much to do with self preservation (i.e. not losing our riding trails) as it does with safety. A few years back, there was a real push to make certain trails HIKING ONLY.

If the use of a bell will keep the trails open to bikers- I will use it! If the use of a bell prevents one accident- I will use it. If (as Yeti Rider noted) this courtesy improves biker/hiker relations- I will use it!

If a local DH'er notices you using the bell- maaaaaybe he will invite to ride that "secret trail" you have been looking for. Ya' never know!
    Last edited by DRTRIDR; 04-25-2007 at 08:10 PM.

NATE CORE
    Quote Originally Posted by DRTRIDR
    Bikerguy- I am sure you are quite considerate when riding trails. Your clean biking record speaks for itself. The reason for the bell has just as much to do with self preservation (i.e. not losing our riding trails) as it does with safety. A few years back, there was a real push to make certain trails HIKING ONLY.

If the use of a bell will keep the trails open to bikers- I will use it! If the use of a bell prevents one accident- I will use it. If (as Yeti Rider noted) this courtesy improves biker/hiker relations- I will use it!

If a local DH'er notices you using the bell- maaaaaybe he will invite to ride that "secret trail" you have been looking for. Ya' never know!
    Hey bro, That was trail bait making fun of the bell, not Bikerguy.

The bells are no doubt a neccesity for bikers to warn hikers so we don't smash into them but the main thing that I now watch out for is the children they sometimes bring with them. On Knapps the other day I saw about 9 kids with two adults and the kids are usually too young to have enough sense or speed to move out of a DHers way thats ripping down a track at mach speeds. They always run ahead of the adults too and hitting and injuring one of those little kids would be the end of biking these trails around here. Courtesy is the key to riding around here.... and if you don't have it then help everybody else out and don't ride.
    you like dags??

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by n8whitie
    The bells are no doubt a neccesity for bikers to warn hikers so we don't smash into them but the main thing that I now watch out for is the children they sometimes bring with them.
    Or Lassie the unleashed and all-too-friendly dog who sees a DH'er jingling down the trail wearing bright colors and perceives him/her as a giant fukcing chew toy and gets all excited.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    N8- Thanks for pointing out my typing error. I fixed it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRTRIDR
    N8- Thanks for pointing out my typing error. I fixed it!
    If I tape a baseball card to the chainstay does that count?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If I tape a baseball card to the chainstay does that count?
    Hell yeah it counts!!!!