Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Waiting to exhale.
    Reputation: SMOKEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,032

    desert life? anyone?

    whats up.
    I am moving to either yucca valley, joshua tree or 29 palms in a few weeks (unfortunately). I am not expecting to many replies here but, is there anyone who can point me in the right direction to hook up with some riders and some trails? I have been out there a couple of times to look for houses to rent and there is NOTHING! just sand... It sucks out there. Please let me know if you are near by I need riding partners.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

  2. #2
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,691

    Sart

    You won't be that far from Angelus Oaks and the SART.

  3. #3
    Just passing through....
    Reputation: DaFireMedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY
    whats up.
    I am moving to either yucca valley, joshua tree or 29 palms in a few weeks (unfortunately). I am not expecting to many replies here but, is there anyone who can point me in the right direction to hook up with some riders and some trails? I have been out there a couple of times to look for houses to rent and there is NOTHING! just sand... It sucks out there. Please let me know if you are near by I need riding partners.
    You should also take up rock climbing. Beautiful area for that.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigdrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,862
    Instead of looking for a house to rent, set your sights on a doublewide and you will find something.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    68
    You'll be close to Big Bear. There is a guy that works at Lucerne Valley Reality that ride a lot. You might look him up. They are in Lucerne Valley. I'm in Hesperia. There is a road that goes from Pioneer town to Cactus Flats (Big Bear). Check out the Johnson Valley OHV area they have some trials comps out there. Look around, get some maps then post what you find. You might not find many paople to ride with but you'll find LOTS of open land and that's a lot better than being in an appartment complex somewhere.

    Late,
    Todd

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1
    Big Bear is 2-2.5 hours away, an easy day trip.

    The rest of the riding in SoCal is within 2-4 hours. for most of the places near the coast, an overnight is a good idea.

    There are some trails in Palm Springs that should be rideable as the weather cools down.

    The trail reviews on the MTRB main page and www.socalmtb.com have more details.

    As for the 29Palms metro, not too much. There is a out and back in Yucca that is a evil climb on the way up, wide open downhill on the way back. It can be a good ride if the lower part is not too chewed up. (Check socalmtb.com for details)

    If you are in/associated with the Marines, there are some trails on the ridgeline behind the main part of the base. It is basically a network of doubletrack, fireroads and some singletrack. Lots of sand, which makes it hard to put togther a long, continuous ride.

    I have been poking around for the last two years, and I usually go to big bear or the coast for decent rides. Most of the stuff up here is good for after work rides.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    43
    ...or you could just not move there.

  8. #8
    Waiting to exhale.
    Reputation: SMOKEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,032

    too late

    I already moved. Its not so bad. I have found 1 trail and I think it will keep me busy for a while.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sway?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY
    I already moved. Its not so bad. I have found 1 trail and I think it will keep me busy for a while.
    I'm gonna bump this thread for the sake of not making a new one on the same subject. (Go search feature!)

    SMOKEY, you still around here in the valley? Or anyone else for that matter...

    I just moved here for work and I'm looking for some riding partners.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: velo bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Sway?
    I'm gonna bump this thread for the sake of not making a new one on the same subject. (Go search feature!)

    SMOKEY, you still around here in the valley? Or anyone else for that matter...

    I just moved here for work and I'm looking for some riding partners.
    Where are you exactly.
    Lots of great rides and good people to ride them with down here in the low dez, ie. Rancho Mirage and Cat. City

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,058
    I used to go dirt bike riding up at kennedy and Monache meadows, which is about as far south as you can get in the Sierras. Very beautiful area.

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: KarateChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Sway?
    SMOKEY, you still around here in the valley?
    I think he's scaring gabachos in Orange County now.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sway?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken
    I think he's scaring gabachos in Orange County now.
    That's too bad...

    Velo bum... I'm in 29 stumps, but I go down to the Palm Springs / Cat city area quit a bit to escape back to civilization. And you?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: velo bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Sway?
    That's too bad...

    Velo bum... I'm in 29 stumps, but I go down to the Palm Springs / Cat city area quit a bit to escape back to civilization. And you?
    Work in Rancho Mirage www.velobum.com , and ride the low dez. in the winter! MTB on wed. morns and sun. If you like give a call!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sway?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by velo bum
    Work in Rancho Mirage www.velobum.com , and ride the low dez. in the winter! MTB on wed. morns and sun. If you like give a call!
    Sounds good, thanks... My Heckler should be here in a couple weeks. I'll drop you a jingle once it's put together.

Similar Threads

  1. Where to ride around Palm Desert? (or nearby)
    By Circlip in forum Passion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 09:23 AM
  2. X-POST:passions: the desert is calling…
    By rockcrusher in forum Arizona
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 08:41 PM
  3. the desert is calling…
    By rockcrusher in forum Passion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 08:27 PM
  4. Replies: 72
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 10:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •