Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ***** ..we're toast

Del Mar Mesa...RIP

Just found this on STR...
    Well all, we knew this day was coming and here it is…Pardee will begin construction of the Shaw Lorenz development on Del Mar Mesa next week. They will start at the western most end of the development at the end of Carmel Mountain Rd and work east. However the entire mesa will be closed for the duration of the project. All the single tracks known as “the intestines” will be a memory beginning Monday, April 14. I have worked out a plan with the developer to maintain access to Cobbles from Del Vino road. We are still looking at logistics, but unfortunately we may loose access to “Side hill” from the top during construction, so that makes it obsolete from the bottom, until the construction is complete. It is very likely that the Shaw Valley Trail will also be cut off at the south end because they are building an access road for all the equipment which involves a 10 foot high berm. Signs will be going up at strategic locations explaining the closure (i.e. at the ball fields, fishhead trail, Del Vino, and the end of Carmel Mountain Rd ).

I am meeting with Pardee and construction staff tomorrow morning to discuss some options to try to keep these trails open, I might not be able to, but I will do my best.

The development has a trail going around the outside of it as part of the community plan, but we will have to wait, what could be several years, before it is complete.

Please pass this information on to everyone you know. It is imperative that all users obey the No Trespassing signs and trail closures for their own safety. Also, it will help build a cooperative spirit among all of us and developers. DO NOT START CREATING NEW TRAILS BECAUSE THESE ARE GONE, THAT WILL NOT HELP ANYONE. STAY ON EXISTING TRAILS AND OBEY ALL SIGNS. And most of all have fun. If you have question, please feel free to call me.

Gina Washington
    Senior Park Ranger
    City of San Diego , Open Space Division

Maybe we should ride the Mesa one more time this Sunday. (I'll be wearing black...)

mtbr member
    Is the "Side Hill" the dowhill that goes by the lake?
    Don't forget to unswerve!

mtbr member
    No, "Sidehill" is the singletrack that goes north/south from the canyon rim over by the top of Shaw Valley Trail (end of existing Carmel Mtn Rd) and down to the north trail singletrack, west of Sycamore Crossing.

The trail you're thinking of is The Shits or "Duck Pond Trail" and is not "recognized" in the trails system. It's an extension of the SDG&E easement for the adjacent power lines.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    No, "Sidehill" is the singletrack that goes north/south from the canyon rim over by the top of Shaw Valley Trail (end of existing Carmel Mtn Rd) and down to the north trail singletrack, west of Sycamore Crossing.
    Still not completely picturing this. Is this a connector from Timber Brook Ln. down to the canyon? Not Waimea, right? I think that connects to Wagon Wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdball
    Still not completely picturing this. Is this a connector from Timber Brook Ln. down to the canyon? Not Waimea, right? I think that connects to Wagon Wheel.
    Well, technically, that would be Gablewood Way, but yes. If you look at the Map you can see three trails coming south off the top of the mesa. The most westerly isn't really used anymore, the middle one splits and if you use the easterly fork, it's called Sidehill. The westerly fork is overgrown and no longer used/closed. The easterly of the three trails is a closed trail, although used.

mtbr member
    Mt. Bike Bill, if you get the immediate jones to fire up the helmet-mounted
    IMAX, now would be a great time to memorialize what little we have up there.

Help us in our hour of need, Obi Wan Kenobe.

mtbr member
    Took this on 1/31, so they've been working Gablewood for a while now.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Mt. Bike Bill, if you get the immediate jones to fire up the helmet-mounted
    IMAX, now would be a great time to memorialize what little we have up there.

Help us in our hour of need, Obi Wan Kenobe.
    Dude I'm still crying over Flightline footage

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Eric,

Does this effectively mean that there is no way to go from the Sh!ts/Duck Pond to the top of SideHill/Carmel Mountain Road any longer?

This also means that the only way to get to the Western area of the Del Mar Mesa is to actually go up Waimea which is NEVER a good idea.

Michael

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Please Contact Me

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN
    Just found this on STR...
    Well all, we knew this day was coming and here it is…Pardee will begin construction of the Shaw Lorenz development on Del Mar Mesa next week. They will start at the western most end of the development at the end of Carmel Mountain Rd and work east. However the entire mesa will be closed for the duration of the project. All the single tracks known as “the intestines” will be a memory beginning Monday, April 14. I have worked out a plan with the developer to maintain access to Cobbles from Del Vino road. We are still looking at logistics, but unfortunately we may loose access to “Side hill” from the top during construction, so that makes it obsolete from the bottom, until the construction is complete. It is very likely that the Shaw Valley Trail will also be cut off at the south end because they are building an access road for all the equipment which involves a 10 foot high berm. Signs will be going up at strategic locations explaining the closure (i.e. at the ball fields, fishhead trail, Del Vino, and the end of Carmel Mountain Rd ).

I am meeting with Pardee and construction staff tomorrow morning to discuss some options to try to keep these trails open, I might not be able to, but I will do my best.

The development has a trail going around the outside of it as part of the community plan, but we will have to wait, what could be several years, before it is complete.

Please pass this information on to everyone you know. It is imperative that all users obey the No Trespassing signs and trail closures for their own safety. Also, it will help build a cooperative spirit among all of us and developers. DO NOT START CREATING NEW TRAILS BECAUSE THESE ARE GONE, THAT WILL NOT HELP ANYONE. STAY ON EXISTING TRAILS AND OBEY ALL SIGNS. And most of all have fun. If you have question, please feel free to call me.

Gina Washington
    Senior Park Ranger
    City of San Diego , Open Space Division

Maybe we should ride the Mesa one more time this Sunday. (I'll be wearing black...)
    Assassin
    Please call me about who you are going to contact tomorrow. It would save me a lot of time tracking down the right person. Also having that "right" person come to the next SDMBA meeting next wednesday could be very instrumental in spreading the correct info and possibly we could work out some otions to keep trail systems connected while they scrape the rest of the open space clean. Having Pardee interface with an organization would be most helpful to them and we might get more bang for our buck too.
    I will keep checking this site and my pm box.

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    This is sad news. I remember back in the day when the Cantina had paper plate races
    up there and there were nothing but endless trails.
    No paper mache bikes allowed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    Eric,

Does this effectively mean that there is no way to go from the Sh!ts/Duck Pond to the top of SideHill/Carmel Mountain Road any longer?

This also means that the only way to get to the Western area of the Del Mar Mesa is to actually go up Waimea which is NEVER a good idea.

Michael
    Short answer: yes.

The area between the top of Cobblestone and the top of Sidehill, ie all the singletracks, 4 Corners, and the fire road will be within the fenced "enclosure". Ranger Washington is going to work tomorrow on some way to preserve access to the top of Sidehill, but I don't see this really getting us much to use unless you'd climb Sidehill, roll pavement and find what's left of Eucalyptus, descend that to N-10, then climb south to crossunder Carmel Mtn. Road and descend Little Waimea.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This is such a bummer. I had hoped that with the slow down in the housing market it would have slowed down the developers from starting new projects but I guess they are thinking by the time this is done the market will have turned around but still I know Pardee has a large backlog so it is a little strange.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I rode out there yesterday. I usually park at Timberbrook street. Enter at the white fenced-dead end road. Lots of trucks out there. Lots of flourescent wood sticks with orange tape and lots of orange spray paint on the Mesa-Intestine trails.
    Its all very sad. I have been riding that canyon and mesa for over 20years. In the old days, there were Cows in penasquitos and you would have to close the fence behind you so they wouldnt leave the park area. This was in the mid-late 1980's.(when many of the trails were called..Big Bean, Little Bean, Yahoo, Dougies Hill, Lucas's (side hill), Senior Dans, Pirates and so many other trails that are now GONE!
    I think the best place to start/park now is further west at the new Vons shopping area. (near Pardee's development Derby Hill) You can enter the canyon from the back of vons, near the fenced in Dog ShitPark. From there you can drop into the "sort of secret singletrack" west of Waimea or for that matter just go down Waimea.
    Just so all of you know, there is a canyon North of all this...between the DM Mesa and the 56 fwy. There is a HUGE pond out there and lots of single track, if you look. These trails can also lead you to the bottom of the "tunnels". You can also ride the large rollers atop the hills along the 56.
    There used to be a great single track down the backside of Black Mountain. Goes directly on the back side and it was encapsilated with trees. Havent been there in a long time but, if it hasnt been travelled in a while, we should expose this and let it get ridden in hopes to develop a trail system back there as there is still lots of land and potential there.
    Again, its all very sad, it sucks. San Diego used to be affordable, empty beaches and lots of good riding. Not much left.
    Now, no trails, crowded surf, expensive and very few people speak english any more. BUMMER!

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by whattheheck
    I rode out there yesterday......big snip....
    Now, no trails, crowded surf, expensive and very few people speak english any more. BUMMER!

Si!

Carlos

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ride with your green card please!

mtbr member
    Just FYI... from Ranger Washington

I just met with Pardee and the grading contractor this morning and we have good news.

“Side Hill” will remain open for the duration of the project. Access will be provided by going to the end of Carmel Mountain Road, past the construction trailer office where a trail will be delineated with orange fence and signs behind the newest construction site up to the power line tower, and follow the newly installed signs to “Side Hill”.

Cobbles/Queens will remain open with a slight variation at the entrance/exit onto Del Vino; ALL USERS will have to enter from the east side of Del Vino on the d.g. path through the wooden bollards.

Shaw Valley Trail will be OPEN WEEKENDS ONLY (Saturday and Sunday). This is a little more difficult to explain, but once all the work is done and signs are in it should be easy to follow. The grading contractor will be installing a road from the end of Carmel Mountain Rd. winding east down into the valley and then back up to the mesa, this would obviously cause an impassable berm; however they will install a ramp on the north side of the berm from the trail that will be open on weekends for equestrians and hikers to get up to the newly constructed road, turn west toward Carmel Mountain Rd and link onto the new trail access to “Side Hill”. This will all be signed and fenced.

THERE WILL BE NO ACCESS TO THE CENTER OF THE MESA FROM ANY OF THE TRAILS FOR THE DURATION OF THE PROJECT. DO NOT VANDALIZE/PASS THE ORANGE FENCE INTO THE CONSTRUCTION ZONE FOR YOUR SAFETY!!! Some of the orange fence will be protecting vernal pools that are being restored, so it is very important that you STAY OUT.

The developer assured me that trails are a high priority, they want to get the grading done and the new trails in as soon as possible. The new trail will go along the rim of the canyon and then a bit through the neighborhood past and through the vernal pool sites that are being preserved. It won’t be the winding ups and downs that are there now, but it will be a nice link between Cobbles and Side Hill/Shaw Valley.

Now I know there is concern that even though Cobbles and Side Hill are open, having no way to connect by way of the mesa seemingly doesn’t do any good unless you live in the neighborhood. However, I have to disagree with that view. Once you pop out of Cobbles, go out to Del Vino and then down Del Mar Mesa Rd to the west (there are multi use trails along the road, or just ride the road) until you get to Carmel Country Rd go south up the hill to Carmel Mountain Rd and turn east to the end where you can access Side Hill. I know it’s not Open Space, but you’ll get a good work out and it is a great loop. Also, you can access the Neighborhood 10 trails and “Eucalyptus” from Carmel Country Road. It will be something new…

I really want to emphasize again how important it is to not build/cut any new trails through the open space areas. This is a transition we all have to deal with, so let’s make it as easy and uneventful as possible.

Please pass this email on to everyone you know that uses the Del Mar Mesa trails so they won’t be caught off guard Monday morning when they go out for their daily run. Thanks, BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN.

Gina Washington

Senior Park Ranger

City of San Diego, Open Space Division

858.538.8066 (PH)

858.536.8334 (FAX)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dolor
    We need to stay focused on how to do something, anything, to preserve for us what we all came to think of as a "Commonwealth" of public trails, which, we are finding out, is mostly an illusion.

About as solid as the "treaties" signed between the native american nations and the U.S., back in the day.

What are WE going to do about it?
    Playing devils advocate here... Since Pardee owns the land, we have been using it without the land owners authorization. Just because they don't have signs up (we'd take them down anyway) doesn't mean that its not private property and that we're not trespassing.

We should blame ourselves for allowing a for profit corporation build homes for the rich. From what I hear, they're going to build > $2M homes there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

DMM trails blocked already

If you go to do the DMM trails (for one last time) be prepared for trail access interuptions on the Intestines NOW.

As of mid-day Friday the 11th there was already orange fencing blocking the DMM trails in certain places, and other fences are going up fast. We did a short hike a bike around one set, and hopped over another set (with permission) to gain access to Sidehill. Most of these fences are being put in to protect "Vernal areas" during grading, etc. and are rather random in placement on the Mesa.

It is the time to start "working" on the powers that be to make the proposed connecting trails more creative than the mundane bridle path that goes from the top of the powerline climb to the Shits for example.

As Taffy15 and others have said at SDMBA, be proactive in defining the meaning of "trail" with Pardee and the land managers to make the best of what will be left, because that path off of the powerlines and the Shaw Valley Trail are lame examples of what we would define as "trail".

CEB
    No horse'n round

Nice day to ride

Yes indeed, lots of survey crews out there today. All pleasant and busy setting up markers, There is a orange barrier fence (a mini "Christo" piece) that runs right over the trail. If you go this weekend to take a "final ride" in the trails, just pick your bike up and over. Do not destroy or move any of the work in progress. It was truly a pleasure to be able to ride these trails over the past 18 years of mtbiking. Actually did noy get on the mesa until about 10 years ago to discover the fine maze of trails. So, that period is over. A few pics from today. I found the beauty and hope you can too. There is still plenty of riding to be had in the valley, just not the same without the DM single tracks........ oh well!

Don't be too bummed out, get on over to Spring-Oak-Sycamore (while we still have what we got....... www.fanita.com)

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That's such a bummer. When I first moved out here in 1996 I stayed at my friends house on Shaw Ridge Road before it was developed.

We would camp back there, go riding and explore new trails, it was heaven. Surf in the morning, ride in the afternoon, shape surfboards during the day. It was paradise. Sad to see alot of the open space and trails gone. It was my first experience living in San Diego.

I was bummed when it was first starting to be developed. Paradise lost.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by whattheheck
    ride with your green card please!
    This comment is funny on many levels.

YR

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Build build build, that's the American way

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    This comment is funny on many levels.

YR
    ...........yes it is! Both Bear and I had our green cards at ready!

Yeahhhhhhhh
    Last edited by CEB; 04-11-2008 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Sounds like Ranger Washington is a good person to have on our side. Haven't met her but I'll keep an eye out to say thank you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast