mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Death Valley rides? (x-post in Nevada forum)

I'll be in Death Valley National Park for spring break and was wondering if it is worth while to bring my mtb for a ride or 2. I know that riding in the park is only allowed on paved and dirt roads that allow vehicle traffic but I don't know if any are suitable rides. Also any suggestions for nearby trails would be great. Any insight is greaty appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I do not have much experience in Death Valley, but I have kicked around the Panamint Valley quite a bit. Expect a great deal of sandy, rocky roads to ride on, basically old mining roads cut into the canyons and crossing the valley floors.

That said, I think if you enjoy the area for what it offers....I think it is beautiful in a stark way....it would be worth a ride or two. But, I would not anticipate flowy singletrack, swoopy stuff, but you probably knew that already.

Bring big tires or a 29er for the sand and rocks. The wildflowers should be happening now as well.

I was googling 'bikepacking' a few days ago and came across a guys travels in Death Valley by bike. Pretty cool, but I do not have the linky for ya.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Road rides would be great, between the sand and the rocks it is just too much for good MTBing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There was a post not too long ago, maybe in the Passion or Norcal forum. Someone did a ride in Death Valley up to some peak, and posted some pretty great photos.

National Parks do not allow bikes on single track trails. I think that policy is nationwide. so the Death Valley ride and photos were from a "road". Except this "road" was an old, unmaintained mining road that climbed a few thousand vertical feet. It looked pretty epic.

Good For You
    GlowBoy did a writeup on a trip there

Check it out

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Check out the road that goes from Panamint valley, over the Panamint mountains, and down into Death Valley.

Charley Manson's hideout at Barker Ranch
    is up there.

4x4d it a few years ago. Always wanted to go back and bike it. It's an epic though, and isolated. So be prepared.
    Signature? I don't need no stinking signature.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the info.

I have everything figured out so I dont need any more info

Thanks again