mtbr member

Death by Shotgun

Here's a heads up for anyone riding Shotgun at Mammoth:

It appears that something may have changed with the exit off the log ride recently.

Rode it the other day and thought something looked different right at the end before the exit ramp. It had never caught my attention before. Looked like it may be missing bark or something.

As I was rolling up on the exit I though something looked different but I didn't tap the brakes or check my speed, just rolled it as usual. After getting the front wheel onto the exit ramp, my back wheel immediately slid out. That had never happened before and I've ridden that feature more times than I can remember.

No crash for me, but I was carrying a bit of speed and the back end of the bike really swung wide. Kept it together, but it wasn't pretty.

Thought it was weird so I hit it again. Same thing.

Over the course of the day I hit the run a few more times, but opted for the left line to avoid the log. On BOTH runs I met riders who had just crashed as they tried to get off the log. They told the same story "I've ridden that feature before and never had a problem. I don't know what happened, but my back end slid as I was making the transiton to the ramp."

So, I'm willing to bet it's not coincidence. Don't know exactly what changed because that feature has never caused me any trouble before and I've never had to think about it. Since two other riders went down the same day and described their crashes as happening the same way, I don't think I'm imagining things.

The feature is still no big deal, but it may now give people a surprise.

On the plus side there are a bunch of new pavers layed down in what was once a loose and off camber area=faster and more fun than ever.

Want to give people a heads up because that run is common way to end the day.

Here's a good video of the trail that's been posted before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCKleNCxko4

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hope none of the crashes caused any injury.

I rode shotgun probably 3-4 times on Friday....but didn't hit the log section. Way too sketchy for me and I was riding alone.

I was an epic day. The MM bike park is unreal fun. Got to ride it more than 1 day per year.
    R

mtbr member
    Email the bike park. They check the trails, but they might not know and it might be a simple fix to texture the end of the log there.

mtbr member
    ahahahaha.....I know exactly what you're talking about. I was up there last week tuesday riding with two other guys i met up there. I opted to go around and the second guy just fell right at the end. he got up and remarked at how slick the end was. and yeah....the pavers after that little ladder are soooo smooth. good work mammoth. =)
    [SIZE=4]Hey, My Picture is Finally [/SIZE][SIZE=4]of Me!!![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I love shotgun, just wish I was good enough to hit it at speed without crashing every time haha. Maybe I'll get lucky this week.

mtbr member
    I've now ridden it a few more times since the slipping and sliding started.

It's no big deal if you check your speed and know what's coming, but currently I can't carry speed on it the way I used to. The end of the log seems much slicker than it used to be.

Problem is no one expects the headache at the point and your guard is down.

Lots of divots in the dirt around the end of the log from pedals and bar ends lately.

Maybe some bark came off and it just needs to "wear in" again.

A few more days of bike metal banging into it and scraping across it should do the trick.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The chunk of missing bark is new this season. I myself did exactly what others did and slid my back wheel off the log and crashed. I hope they fix it soon. Should be easy with a hatchet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    dope video. hope to ride there someday . . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    First run on the log did the slide everyone was talkin about, kept it sick and stayed on the bike. There is a good divit near the end of the log now. I think the log is getting some braking bumps! lol. There is always the option to drop off the log early too...

----------------
    Aug 2006
    I did the same thing the last time I was up there...

Very nice video. Good to see high quality footage of stuff I've actually ridden.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

mtbr member
    Looks like the bark on the log continues to be removed/eroded. It's creeping way back up the length of the log. It was missing more bark yesterday than it was a few weeks prior. Just a few season ago, all the bark was intact.

Now the end of the log is getting polished and shiny from the repeated sliding of tires and frames as bikes fall off of it.

To compound matters, the two knots on top of the log are now getting polished due to the missing bark.

What was once an easy feature, is now getting tricky if you hit it too fast.

Still lots of people crashing.

Saw some poor guy completely lose his head after getting up on the log. He had resigned to crashing by the time he was halfway through. In case anyone is wondering, locking up the brakes on polished wood appears to cause a bike to accelerate. Who knew?

Funny thing is word is out so more people are hitting the the little ramp/jump to the left and that is now getting wobbly and showing some new cracks.

Shotgun needs a bit more attention on those features.

I've asked the park to go take a look at things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I saw quite a few people down at the end of the log over the weekend. I made it clean both times. My new reasoning is to just hit the notch with both tires and not try and avoid it. I was more nervous about the log than the Flow drop.