mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Death March Invite!!!

I'm not sure if I can make this one. It's sounds sick enough that I thought there might be some crazies on this board who may actually find this to be fun! Let me know if your interested.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    A few of us are training for White Mountain this Sunday by summiting Mt. Baldy from La Verne. If you feel like suffering with us, you are welcome to join us. 45 miles, 12500 ft of climbing mostly on fireroads. Here is the description from ride leader Gary, as Gary likes to say this is a whine free ride:

This week we will be summiting Baldy Peak (10,064 ft) approaching the mountain from the South (La Verne) this time. The ride will start at the edge of La Verne at 7am. We cut through a gated community to the gate for Sunset Peak Fire Road. Which is a steady climb for about 8 miles over a decent dirt road climbing from 100ft to 5700 ft to near Sunset Peak, we then descend down a fast fun forested fire road 2.5 miles and 1300ft (remember this as this is our only climb on our way back) to Glendora Ridge Road, the an short down jaunt to Mt Baldy Road and Baldy Village (4400ft), where we will fill up on water. We will take the scenic road from there up 8 switchbacks (you’ll will want to remember the count to count them off) as we climb about 5 miles and another 1600 ft. to the turn off for San Antonio Falls fire road at Manker Flats (6000ft). This fire road from Manker Flats to Baldy notch climbs about 2000ft fairly quickly in 3.6 miles. It’s very pretty with lots of evergreen trees. We now have made it to LUNCH at Mt. Baldy Lodge (8000ft). We should reach the lodge around noon. Bring $$$ for food and drinks at the Lodge, with burgers, fries, soda’s and Gatorade, sandwiches…you’ll appreciate it! We top off our water again here and head 3.2 miles and 2000 feet up to the peak. We start out to the peak up steep ski lift maintenance roads that turn into a tight single track after about a mile. This is the Devils Backbone, which has some incredible views and steep drops of exposure on BOTH sides of the trail at the same time. The trail is mostly rideable for about another 1.5 miles. The last part, about ½ mile, of the trail is very steep and without much or any soil, just rocks, which is all hike-a-bike. At the peak we stop for pictures and food and try to imagine what 14,246’ (White Mtn.) feels like since we are now sucking wind at just 10,064. The return route is the same as the way up, stopping again at the Lodge for a soda (round trip to the peak from here is about 2 hours). From the lodge it’s down the very fast fire road to the paved road and quickly down to Baldy Village then back up to Sunset Peak, which is a good mental challenge and very similar to White Mountain which has a similar climb on the way back down. We should be back to our cars around 5pm. Est. 10 hours, 45 miles, 12,500 ft of climbing. Whew! – then it’s off to EAT.

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbski
    A few of us are training for White Mountain this Sunday
    When are you doing White Mtn? Where are you starting from? I had planned to do it last month from Bishop up Silver Canyon, but it fell thru, went hiking instead. From Bishop it's about 72 miles RT with 14,400 total gain. I'm still thinking about doing it this month, haven't found any takers yet.

How many are going on the ride this weekend? Looks like a nice one.

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    Did the white mountain ride ever happen? I'm planning on it this year, july or august from Bishop. Same trip as my previous post. Anyone interested?

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Snow?

Isn't there still snow on the summit? From the looks of it from Chilao last weekend there is still plenty of snow up there. San G has 4 ft. still, granted it's melting pretty fast right now.

Please report back on the conditions and thoughts on the ride. I'm very interested in riding from San Antonio Falls to the summit and then down the Bear Valley/Village Trail. I've been waiting till the snow melts.

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    I'm talking about white mountain ride, july or august from Bishop, CA. Yes still snow locally, but melting fast. I read somewhere a few days ago that the trails up baldy are clear, but I doubt it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyBiker
    I'm talking about white mountain ride, july or august from Bishop, CA. Yes still snow locally, but melting fast. I read somewhere a few days ago that the trails up baldy are clear, but I doubt it.
    Yes the ride did happen...without me! I was rear ended on the freeway my car was totalled and my back and neck were thrashed. Anyways, I'd be up to doing it this year and I think the same usual suspects may be interested as well. I'll contact the guys who went and see what the plan is for this year and then I'll loop back with you.

mtnfiend White Mtn is a 14,000' + peak east of HWY 395. It's usually done on the way to or from Mammoth or lower rock creek rd. It's mostly fireroads, nothing technical, just not a lot of oxygen and a cool lunar land scape.

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    I was rear ended on the freeway my car was totalled and my back and neck were thrashed.
    Hopefully not on the way to the ride!?! Man, that's a tough deal you got there!

I'll look forward to hearing from you on this. I got a line of about a dozen people, maybe half of them are interested, but I think only one could actually do the ride.

Camping isn't allowed in the foothills near Bishop. It's posted and there's pleanty of patrol over there. Do you know of any nearby spots to pull off for the night before? Laws museum car camping?

mtbr member
    Yes the ride did happen...without me! I was rear ended on the freeway my car was totalled and my back and neck were thrashed. Anyways, I'd be up to doing it this year and I think the same usual suspects may be interested as well. I'll contact the guys who went and see what the plan is for this year and then I'll loop back with you.

mtnfiend White Mtn is a 14,000' + peak east of HWY 395. It's usually done on the way to or from Mammoth or lower rock creek rd. It's mostly fireroads, nothing technical, just not a lot of oxygen and a cool lunar land scape.
    Did they post any pictures?

Here's my trip in 2004 White Mountain Peak (Inyo NF) pics

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    I was refering to Mt. Baldy. Isn't there still snow on Baldy. There's still snow on San G and that's only a thousand feet higher than Baldy. I would assume San J has snow as well, due to the smog I can't see it often. San J is in the middle between the two. Either way, you'll find out this weekend. Good luck with the ride!

mtbr member
    Hopefully not on the way to the ride!?! Man, that's a tough deal you got there!

I'll look forward to hearing from you on this. I got a line of about a dozen people, maybe half of them are interested, but I think only one could actually do the ride.

Camping isn't allowed in the foothills near Bishop. It's posted and there's pleanty of patrol over there. Do you know of any nearby spots to pull off for the night before? Laws museum car camping?
    I imagine that you could car camp in the lot across from the Laws Museum. It would work out well, since you'll want to take out very early in the morning.

I did the ride about six years ago. Started at around 3:15 AM during a full moon, which I highly recommend doing. Trust me, the climb up Silver Canyon is best done in the dark. That way you don't have to see how much climbing is in store for you.

If you do it on a full moon, then a lightweight hiking headlamp (LED type) should be all you need. I had a light system on my bike, but only turned it on for the stream crossings.

Speaking of stream crossings, there are a number of them as you head up Silver Canyon. Your feet will get wet. Considering that you'll be at 11,000+ feet elevation before daybreak, you should definitely bring a change of socks. Chain lube, too. Those same stream crossings are welcome and refreshing when you blast back down Silver Canyon with 65 miles on the odometer .

My only other advice is to keep moving. Long, extended breaks will kill you on this ride. I wouldn't recommend trying to do it with a big group of riders.

It's quite an adventure! Good luck!

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    How was the ride? I'm interested in hearing details. What was the summit of Baldy like? Pictures?

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    JimN, nice to hear from someone who's done this. Thanks for the post and the tips! Where did you camp? Did you make any water drops the day before? How much water did you end up using?

mtbr member
    JimN, nice to hear from someone who's done this. Thanks for the post and the tips! Where did you camp? Did you make any water drops the day before? How much water did you end up using?
    I "camped" in a nice motel in Bishop, complete with pool and Jacuzzi. I know, kinda silly to motel it the night before the ride. That is unless you plan to be in Bishop early enough to try for some solid sleep. But of course, you're not likely to get any quality sleep because you'll be all worked up in anticipation of the big ride. Sure is nice to have decent accommodations for after the ride, though. I would plan to car camp at Laws the night before.

We had a support vehicle along the route, which was great. Vehicles can go as far as the gate below Barcroft Lab, and if you make arrangements ahead of time, they'll allow you to drive all the way to the lab.

You can definitely do the ride without a support vehicle, but you would need to do water drops the day before. If water is available at Barcroft (it was when we did the ride), then you could probably get away with one water drop at the top of Silver Canyon. If you can't count on water at Barcroft, then I would plan to drop water both at the top of Silver Canyon and at the gate below Barcroft.

I don't remember how much water I ended up using. Figure on the whole ride taking approximately 12 hours, give or take a couple. That should give you an idea of how much you'll need.

Portions of the Silver Canyon climb are hike-a-bike, and depending on road conditions, potentially long portions of the climb from Barcroft to the peak are hike-a-bike. I'd recommend wearing a pair of inexpensive cycling shoes with soft, grippy treads and not-too-stiff soles.

Contact the White Mountain Research Station office in Bishop to find out about water availability at Barcroft and/or to arrange to drive a vehicle past the gate to the lab.

White Mountain Research Station
    3000 E. Line St.
    Bishop CA 93514
    (760) 873-4344

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Mt Baldy?

For those who went on the Mt. Baldy death march, did you make it to the summit? Was there much snow still? Do you have a ride report?

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004

White Mountain Peak

Thanks Jim for the report.

It's looking like we're going to do the ride from Bishop (Laws) to White Mtn Peak via Silver Canyon Rd very early on August 20th with a full moon start. Anyone who's interested, contact me and I'll put your name on the email list.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Extreme Mountain Bike Ride.

1 Day

Bishop to White Mountain Peak via Silver Canyon Rd

Low elevation: 4,000'

High elevation: 14,246'

Distance: Approx 72 Miles, round trip

Elevation Gain: Approx 14,400' total with over 2,000' being on the return trip

Meet friday August 19th, 2005 at location TBD near trailhead and camp or motel. Start ride very early Saturday Aug. 20th, 2005 with full moon. Ride to White Mtn Peak. Complete ride on Saturday, and return home that evening or Sunday morning.

This is an extreme event due to climbing, altitude, and heat at lower elevations. If you are not 100% sure of your excellent condition on mt bike and at altitude, this is not the ride for you. If you have not done a ride with 10,000+ feet of gain recently, this ride is probably not for you. Beyond water drops, carpooling, logistics, which we will figure out, you are expected to be fully self-sufficient on the trail. Any possibility of support vehicle/riders would be a welcome idea.

I'm doing 40-80 mile mtb rides every weekend in the San Bernardino Mtns from now until then if anyone wants to join. Email me.

giddy up!
    Count me interested. I'll be doing the Leadville 100 1 week before this thing but I'll see how my recovery goes. I won't be able to commit until the week of.

Anyway, throw brianblair72@hotmail.com on the list for updates.

Thanks,

B

It's looking like we're going to do the ride from Bishop (Laws) to White Mtn Peak via Silver Canyon Rd very early on August 20th with a full moon start. Anyone who's interested, contact me and I'll put your name on the email list.

1 Day

Meet friday August 19th, 2005 at location TBD near trailhead and camp or motel. Start ride very early Saturday Aug. 20th, 2005 with full moon. Ride to White Mtn Peak. Complete ride on Saturday, and return home that evening or Sunday morning.

This is an extreme event due to climbing, altitude, and heat at lower elevations. If you are not 100% sure of your excellent condition on mt bike and at altitude, this is not the ride for you. If you have not done a ride with 10,000+ feet of gain recently, this ride is probably not for you. Beyond water drops, carpooling, logistics, which we will figure out, you are expected to be fully self-sufficient on the trail. Any possibility of support vehicle/riders would be a welcome idea.

I'm doing 40-80 mile mtb rides every weekend in the San Bernardino Mtns from now until then if anyone wants to join. Email me.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

1 Day

Hillbilly count me in for some of the epic 40+ mile rides. How about Big Rock Creek Rd to to Jackson Lake to Blue Ridge to Guffy and back via Grassy Hollow and Manzanita. I've got a new HH100 that I want to break in. My long rides will have to be on Sudays because of Sat commitments for the next 8 weeks. Sat the 20th I've got a commitment that I've got to try to fet out of first. You've got an email with my contact info.

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    WHITE MOUNTAIN RIDE:

This is a great ride. I did this ride self supported on 9/4/05 carrying 2 gallons up. Up at 3:30am. Started at first stream crossing on Silver Canyon at 4:30am. Cold morning (40s to upper 30s) up to ridge at about 10,400', then there was some sunlight for warmth. Got to Barcroft about 12:30pm and on the summit at 3:10pm. Left summit at 3:20pm and back at truck at 7:20pm. Long day, tough with heavy pack, but I was going pretty slow, not pushing it to conserve energy and water.

Would do again next year. Great descent lasting 3 hours ride time with 12,000' down and only an easy 2,000 feet up, tough on brakes.

Watch weather report. I was up there on 8/7/05 also, making much better time, but had to turn back at about 11,000' because of a crazy hail/lightning storm. I was trying to outrun it but got caught half way up the last ascent before Silver Canyon. Was an insane descent through the hail and painful. Silver canyon turned into a singletrack path with a stream on either side and lightning right overhead. Biggest danger was probably the mad people trying to drive out of there with the pedal to the floor, no way they saw me in that hail. Top 2500' of peak was covered in white once I was back down in Bishop.

I'd highly recommend support vehicle with clothes, food, water, spare parts, tools. Temp varies as much as 50 degrees F from Bishop to the summit. It was actually cooler (and windier) at 13K on 9/4/05 than it was on the summit. Summit temp was very nice and no wind. My feet were darn near frozen until about 10am from the stream crossings early on.

Great day, left Bishop at 10pm and home at 2am.

Just another FOC'er
    That's a great ride! I first started doing that ride when is was an organized ride called "White Mountain Peak in a Day" run by Rick Wheeler out of Bishop. My first year was 1989 and I think he finally gave up organizing it in 96. I did it at least once every year from 89 through 2002, sometimes twice per year. In 2001 I rode it on my Bullit with a triple clamp fork!

That ride can really whip you! The easiest I ever had it was in the early 90s when I'd been doing Ironman length triathlon training. I remember coming back down from Tahoe after racing in the 'World's Toughest Triathlon' and decided to hammer out a quick WM loop. I started from Laws at 7AM and was back down by 4:30 or 5PM. Not now!

-danno

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    . I started from Laws at 7AM and was back down by 4:30 or 5PM. Not now!
    Damn!, that's fast.

Did you guys ride used to ride the whole thing? I ended up walking both times on some of the switchbacks up Silver Canyon and near the summit. Heck, near the summit I was having a hell of a time just pushing the bike.

Just another FOC'er
    Damn!, that's fast.

Did you guys ride used to ride the whole thing? I ended up walking both times on some of the switchbacks up Silver Canyon and near the summit. Heck, near the summit I was having a hell of a time just pushing the bike.

I was able to ride all of Silver except the first really steep part, and all of the peak except a couple sections that were too loose. Rick Wheeler (the guy that used to organize the ride) said he could ride all of Silver, but he had a 16 or 18 small front ring. Even with that I don't see how he got the traction. That is freak'n steep and loose!

I'd only take enough water to get to the Barcroft research station. I'd get water from there on the way up and down so I never carried more than 100 oz or so.

On one of the rides I remember taking 10 malt flavored Power Bars for food. I'll never be able to eat another one of those

-danno

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    That's a great ride! I first started doing that ride when is was an organized ride called "White Mountain Peak in a Day" run by Rick Wheeler out of Bishop. My first year was 1989 and I think he finally gave up organizing it in 96. I did it at least once every year from 89 through 2002, sometimes twice per year. In 2001 I rode it on my Bullit with a triple clamp fork!

That ride can really whip you! The easiest I ever had it was in the early 90s when I'd been doing Ironman length triathlon training. I remember coming back down from Tahoe after racing in the 'World's Toughest Triathlon' and decided to hammer out a quick WM loop. I started from Laws at 7AM and was back down by 4:30 or 5PM. Not now!

-danno
    i have ridden 5 times, but only once from the bottom! (every ride danno was along, all his rides were from the bottom). one year that i shuttled it i spent the nigth at barcroft station, that was cool, killer grub there! i have done some research, there are suposedly some very rough/remote backside fireroad descents that end up towards nevada. also, the black canyon fireroad is more rough and better than silver, but out of the way for a peak ascent. also supposed to be kinda of a singletrack descent on the front side.