mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Dana Point Trails

I am going to be in Dana Point next Wednesday with nothing to do. Where is a local shop with rentals and where would you ride if you had 6-8 hrs to kill? Thx Stacy

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    From Dana Point go a short distance north on I-5 and head east on Ortega Highway to the San Juan trial.

check out the trail here:

www.geoladders.com

San Juan Trail will give you all single track with options for a 16 to 23 mile loop. One of the best in the area and the weather should be great.

I am not sure about renting but there is a shop in San Juan Capistrano, By My Bikes. If they rent it would save you time. The other options are any Rock N Road or The Path in Tustin. You will loose riding time if you go too far north to rent.

If you are looking for something a bit more mellow rent a cruiser and ride around the Dana Point area down to San Clemente. Have fun.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Here is a direct link to the San Juan Trail:

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route...1&route_id=105
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

socal

Thx, we will check it out and let you know how it went. Stacy

mtbr member

San Clemente Singletrack

If you like to go for a shorter ride and a little easier try the San Clement Single tracks.
    I rode there last weekend and it's a lot of fun!

http://picasaweb.google.com/sharksco...ingletrackSCST

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Stacey, I would definitely hit up Rock & Road on La Paz. It's about 10 minutes from Dana. Just take Golden Lantern about 7 miles to Avila and go left. You'll see a Home Depot on your right as you get to La Paz go into that shopping center. Great guys and I think they rent mostly specialized. From there you can ride to the Aliso Woods canyon which will keep you busy for hours! Very diverse and beautiful. I live right behind it and we may be out wednesday night so let us know if you're around and want to meet up. Enjoy!

DFMBA.org
    Old thread, I know but I'm headed that way with my fam in July, but will have time to break away for a 1/2 day ride. Sounds like San Juan is the place to go and being from AZ I'm looking forward to something different. Any other suggestions as 6 years have gone by since this thread was alive?
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You can do a search on Geoladders by zip code... Dana Point is 92629. I'm considering moving down to that area and just started looking for trails around there as well.

San Juan Trail is definitely the most popular. It's approx. 25 minutes from Dana Point.
    Last edited by drew840; 05-15-2014 at 09:14 AM.

DFMBA.org

Dana Point Trails

Quote Originally Posted by drew840 View Post
    You can do a search on Geoladders by zip code... Dana Point is 92629. I'm considering moving down to that area and just started looking for trails in that area as well.

San Juan Trail is definitely the most popular in that area. It's approx. 25 minutes from Dana Point.
    Thanks a bunch. Good suggestion.

"It's a mountain bike, get over it." -Kaolin
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    There's also a small, but really fun mix of trails in Dana Hills/Las Ramblas, as well as the nearby Weedpatch/San Clemente Singletrack. You really need a guide for either spot to do it right and find the goods, so search out a local (I'm not anymore).

MTBeing- If you're riding San Juan in July, start early to beat the heat (it could even be hot by AZ standards!) and the descending shuttlers, and if you have time do the Lollipop Loop above Cocktail Rock (clockwise)--or shuttle the entire trail from Bluejay Campground.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 05-15-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    If it's a very hot day that you want to ride, consider Aliso and Wood Canyon. It holds the cool ocean air about the best in our area. I ride it 4x a week. Hit me up if you want a guide.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!