Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cyclist dies at Sycamore Canyon?

I just saw on the news that a cyclist was killed in the Sycamore Canyon area in Santee in the Medina/Mast area. The helicopter shot looked like it was on the trail somewhere. Anyone have any info? I think all of us San Diego MTBers and our friends use that trail. Just curious.....

TCB
    mtbr member
    What news station did you see it on.
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

mtbr member
    It was on Channel 10 news. They had a helicopter flying overhead, showed the typical "yellow tarp" deal, and said they'd have more details later in the broadcast. They never did provide any more details.

We're going down WHAT??

Very sad....

I'll be out there today..... I couldn't find ant information on this on the 10News website this morning. Does anyone else know what happened??
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

mtbr member
    It's weird...I haven't been able to find anything anywhere. Usually the news picks up stuff like that and runs with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I saw the same report last night with no follow up so I called channel 10. What they said is that it was a 46 year old mountain biker that had an apparent heat attack fell off his bike and died. The body is at the medical examiners and will undergo an autopsy today to confirm this. Very sad and my condolences to the family.

We're going down WHAT??

that is terrible news....

Did you get a time of day?? Did anyone notice where he was? I have many friends who ride out there that are near that age too. I am just wondering. I also know several people in the area (that was my home ride for 10+years....) If someonw knows more please feel free to PM me. I don't think anyone wants any names going out over the internet.
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Fat guy on a bike
    Sad, but not a bad way to go really. Preferable to rotting in a bed I guess.

Glad to Be Alive
    sad sad sadd
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    A similar thing happened on La Tuna Canyon trail a couple of years ago. I was riding the trail and noticed an LA county fire department helicopter circling overhead. Didn't think too much about it until I came around a blind turn and there as a fire dept guy in a jumpsuit standing in the middle of the trail. Apparently he'd been lowered from the helicopter. A few feet behind him was a mountainbiker lying on the trail. He was still clipped in and was lying sideways, like he just fell over. I thought maybe the guy had a broken leg or something so I offered up some Vicodin I carry in my camelbak. The fireman says "he won't be needing that, the coroner is on his way." I then take a closer look at the biker and see he's white as a sheet and his mouth is fixed in a semi-open grimace. We was dead. Behind him was his riding partner. She'd discovered him dead and called the fire dept. She was really shaken up. I was the first rider to come upon them. I later learned the guy was a doctor from La Canda, in his mid to late 40s. I assume a heart attack killed him.

mtbr member
    Wow, very sad indeed. I haven't heard any more news other than what's here. My prayers go out to his family.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

We will miss him

He is my uncle. Randy W
    He has been riding there every wednesday for 2+ years. Along with ATT and NOBLE.
    He was riding with my other Uncle and a friend, when they stoped to decide what way to go. He felt a little dizzy and fell over on one of the bikes, he was down for a min and got back up then fell over again. They called life flight and it took 45 min to get there. They were on Gov property and the gaurds did not like that they were on there side. With them being so far from a car and life flight not getting there in time he did not make it.
    When i got the call from my mother it hit hard. I only got into mtb because of him. We did ATT and Noble together alot. The surfing comunity will miss he aswell. He sanded surf boards for 30 years. Not going to be the same riding ATT and Noble without him. He is leaving behind a wife and 2 kids 14 and 5. If anyone prays please think about them with doing so please.

Randy W 3-15-61 - 4-18-07
    Will always love you!
    Aaron W.
    Last edited by treksession7; 04-19-2007 at 02:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by treksession7

He is my uncle. Randy W
    He has been riding there every wednesday for 2+ years. Along with ATT and NOBLE.
    He was riding with my other Uncle and a friend, when they stoped to decide what way to go. He felt a little dizzy and fell over on one of the bikes, he was down for a min and got back up then fell over again. They called life flight and it took 45 min to get there. They were on Gov property and the gaurds did not like that they were on there side. With them being so far from a car and life flight not getting there in time he did not make it.
    When i got the call from my mother it hit hard. I only got into mtb because of him. We did ATT and Noble together alot. The surfing comunity will miss he aswell. He sanded surf boards for 30 years. Not going to be the same riding ATT and Noble without him. He is leaving behind a wife and 2 kids 14 and 5. If anyone prays please think about them with doing so please.

Randy W 3-15-61 - 4-18-07
    Will always love you!
    Aaron W.
    Sorry to ask this in what must be a very difficult time but do you know if he had a heart condition? Was he being treated? Had he had a physical? Was there any indication or family history or did this come totally out of the blue. This is very sad and scary as it could happen to any of us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    He did have high BP and was taking meds. He biked 3-4 times a week. surfed and was very active for his size. My aunt told us he was feeling a little on the tired said this week. He was a guy that no matter what the Dr told him he would go ride. He had his bike in the back of his truck all the time so he could ride after work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    My condolences to you Aaron and your family.
    Chris G
    Riding a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro 120
    Somewhere behind the Orange Curtain

mtbr member

Sorry for your loss

I'm sorry for your loss. Being 42 and riding hard, I've started to wonder about the heart. What happened to your Uncle is horrible. As I'm climbing ATT hard with my heart at 175 bpm, I'm always paying attention to how I feel. I get regular check-ups and the doc says I'm in great health. Still, being 42 does change things.

I ride Sycamore all the time and right now the military has gotten very agressive about riders on that property. The city is in negotiations to purchase a strip of land that will connect Mission Trails Regional Park to Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch. When/if that happens things should be better.

Once again, I'm really sorry about your Uncle and he will be in my prayers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It's always hard to lose a brother. My thoughts and prayers to the friends and family.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Aaron, so sorry for your loss. This may sound heartless but at least he died doing what he loved.

SS on your left.
    Sorry for your loss. We lost a rider around 6 years ago in Poway under the same circumstances. 41 years old and rode 3-4 days a week. He just fell over during a climb. He had also seen the doctor and was awaiting test to come back. They didn't make it in time. We did CPR for for 20 minute waiting for Emergeny Crews. He made it to the hospital, but they couldn't keep him going.

It was devistating to his family. Best Wishes to you and your family. I hope you find some peace knowing that he was doing what he loved.

DM
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thank you everyone.Yes dying while doing something you love and being with friends and family is alot better then dying alone i do know that.

Geritol Power

Sorry for your family's loss Aaron

Very sad. May god bless Randy's wife and children with better times ahead.

For you old dudes reading this I'm going to be 50 in June and was really starting to worry about heart stress from long climbs. I too have a wife and 2 kids that need me so I just had a full cardiac evaluation with stress test done. Doc said my heart's good. Now I can pedal with reckless abandon.

Get yourself checked out if you have even the slightest concern, feel faint after a climb or have any chest discomfort. Your loved ones will be glad you did.

Chris

Its only 1" on the map!
    Aaron, My condolences to you and all of Randy's extended family. It is a terrible thing to have happen.

Hoodoo Voodoo?
    Jan 2007
    Aaron, my heart goes out to you and your uncle's family. I have two teenagers and a 6 year old and I love them dearly. I was having what I could only describe as chest pains recently, I am 48 years old. I saw a cardioligist and had a stress echo test to check out the old ticker. I was grateful to hear that my heart is in great shape. I did find out that although my cholesterol level was within reason 191, my ratios are a bit off, so I will be better about watching what I eat. Lesson here is is don't rely on the simple cholesterol test, get results for specific HDL/LDL levels.

The stress echo test is no big deal and the nurse working with me for the test said that many athletes are now having this test done preventatively as a baseline measurement.

Do it for you, your family and friends, it's comforting knowing everything looks good. I would be willing to bet many of you in the 40+ age group have know someone our age that passed on due to a heart attack, it seems to becoming more common.

Get checked out and with that thumbs up go out there and...
    Ride hard or ride home alone

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My condolences.

In addition to checking yourself out physically, make sure your family is okay financially. If you have a family that depends on you, make sure you have enough life insurance for them to be taken care of if something happens. It sure makes the rides that much better knowing if your time is up your family is okay. Ride on.

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    Aaron, my condolences go out to you and all Randy's family. When something like this
    hits so close to home it really makes you wake up and and realize that you need to live
    everyday like it is your last......make it all count....enjoy everything (even flats, crashes, and recovery time)! We all can take something from this. I am sure that Randy is on the otherside riding some sweet endless singletrack.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast