We're going down WHAT??

Cuyamaca trails...All to become multi-use??

I was out riding in Cuyamaca yesterday and was told by the two (2) rangers whom we stumbled upon that the trails in that area will soon be open to Equestrians, hikers AND cyclists. (read: Multi-purpose trails) This is great news for the rest of us as long as we can keep the dialog open. I wasn't given a date on the actual opening dates of the trails, but I was told that it was happening this year. Has anyone else heard about this? (I was hiking with the family on the east side of the school camp and those were fantastic trails, except for the fact that the postholers have relly dug up the trails in the area a ton. There is a ton of singletrack out there that is not at all currently accessible to us.
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

TCB
    mtbr member
    The opening of trails in the non-wilderness areas of the Cuyamaca's has been in the works for the past four years, the trails would have been open sooner but the Cedar Fire delayed the process, you should be thanking SDMBA and MBAU for making this happen.
    Last edited by TCB; 04-09-2007 at 02:34 PM.
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsocal
    I was out riding in Cuyamaca yesterday and was told by the two (2) rangers whom we stumbled upon that the trails in that area will soon be open to Equestrians, hikers AND cyclists. (read: Multi-purpose trails) This is great news for the rest of us as long as we can keep the dialog open. I wasn't given a date on the actual opening dates of the trails, but I was told that it was happening this year. Has anyone else heard about this? (I was hiking with the family on the east side of the school camp and those were fantastic trails, except for the fact that the postholers have relly dug up the trails in the area a ton. There is a ton of singletrack out there that is not at all currently accessible to us.
    I rode there today. Started Dyar Rock, GV FR to new ST to Sunrise Hwy. First time I went east on the Sunrise Hwy Trail. Went all the way to the Lucky Five Ranch entrance/end., crossed the road, and hit about 6 miles of jeep trail on the other side before I doubled back. Man, the wind was fierce up there....must have been 30-40 MPH! I'm 6'3" and 220lbs...taking a few turns just about blew my clydesdale arse off my trusty stead. I saw some "postholer" (as you call them) holes...talk about almost ruining the flow of the trail and ride....as I had to keep a close eye on the fricken potholes they made.

Any who...I rode for nearly 4 hours (22.5 miles) and did not see another sole/soul on the trail the whole time. First time I ever rode that long w/o crossing paths with some one out there. I noticed the Cold Stream Trail is now MP. Can't wait until the other STs open up...there are some good trails out there that should be open to bikes, etc.

TCB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dolor
    What's the GV Fr? i recog. the other abbreviations, but not that one.
    I've been meaning to ride that new SR trailhead.......looks good.

Nice developments up in the Cuyamac.
    GV FR = Green Valley Fire road

Here is a map showing a Loop I ride that includes some of the new trails, (See Green line on map for loop) I start in Cuyamaca at School camp, ride the West side trail over to the East side trail, up East Mesa Fire road past granite springs, (this is were EM FR turns into a trail), continuing on EM FR to the end, cross Deer Park road and up Indian Creek trail to Champagne Pass, head left on Pine Mountain trail to Sunrise Highway and left (I think that would be heading North?) on Sunrise Highway for about four miles to the new Sunrise trailhead, the Sunrise trailhead will be on your left, the trail runes along side Sunrise Highway for about three miles and ends at the road that leads into Cuyamaca (look for the sign “La Cima Conservation Camp”) at this point I hook up with the new section of Upper Green Valley Fire Road, this trail leads down to the bottom of Soapstone, we continued on GV FR back to school camp. Total miles: 26, total elevation: 3600 feet.

"No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the map.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    From my knowledge you cannot ride deer park road ( I guess I never knew it's name before). I think it goes through Lucky 5 ranch which is private.

When I was on the trails assessment team, there was concern that the new trail that dead ended into the Lucky 5 would tempt people to ride through it. It is too bad they don't give mountain bikers another connector trail into the Lagunas. We suggested that they do it but nothing got done before the team was abruptly disbanded.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    One of the loops we like is to start at Sweetwater then the single track on the other side of 79, cross over to school camp up green valley, up to the new trail near the La Cima entrance then onto the highway, then the trail up to Chamgagne pass then down indian creek into Cuyamaca through granite springs and then the single track back to sweetwater. That way most of the climbing is done during the first part of the ride.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    That's awesome news! I'm still stoked on the new Soapstone alternative that has opened up. Great news and great results from a lot of time and effort by a lot of folks. Thank you!