Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cuyamaca Rancho State Park.

957 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  random walk 
#1 ·
My friend is visiting San Diego in two weeks and we were thinking of Cuyamaca to go riding.
Has anyone been up there recently? Is it fun? Scenic I would assume? Any areas we should definitely check out up there.

Last time he was down here we rode Laguna to Noble Canyon.

Cuyamaca Rancho State Park

I read MTB Bill, but I'm not sure when the last time that particular page was updated.

Thanks, guys.

#6 ·
The park just had their benefit ride last weekend. Looks like a fun route, some of it overlapping the Grand Loop. Check out this SDMBA thread, there is a link to a GPS file for the route. Some of it I believe is single track that was either previously closed to bikers (Los Vaqueros area) or recently re-opened ST after rehab (Black Oak trail on Middle Peak).

Reactions: LadyDi
#2 ·
MTB Bill's site shows Middle Peak with trees. The entire place burned badly several years ago, and there are still lots of standing burned poles everywhere.

This year the forest service has been clearing some sections of standing deadwood and there are lots of new little trees popping up. But it is still mostly clear open skies with burned poles throughout the entire western half of the park.

That does not mean it's not worth a visit. It's still one of my favorite places to ride. There are some sweet singletrack trails in the northeast corner of the park starting from the green valley and soapstone grade intersection. There are lots of good hills if you like to climb, and some fun descents to match. Nothing there is gnar or anything like that, just fun XC riding.

#4 ·
I was just there this weekend. I had gone up with friends to camp at Lake Cuyamaca. None of my friends ride, but I brought my bike along and woke up early Sunday morning to explore. Amazing singletrack. Definitely recommend it - even with the burned out trees everywhere. Lots of wildlife too. I saw about 4 or 5 deer while riding. I used Strava to find some trails in the area a few days before I went.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.