mtbr member

Cuyamaca Loop Descanso, CA Video Fun Ride!!!

added new video and page to mtbnomad.com Cuyamaca Loop

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Nice ride. I haven't been back to Cuyamaca in years. Whats the best ride around 10 miles there, and is there much single track?

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Nice ride. I haven't been back to Cuyamaca in years. Whats the best ride around 10 miles there, and is there much single track?
    Overall...it's more fire road than ST...I'd say 75/25 split.

Some of it's routine (semi-boring) fire road and some of it's fun fire road...esp the Fern Flat downhill....it's almost double track.

Here's a post I did back in Nov 2014 that outlines current ST conditions up there.
    Trails near Julian, CA?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    I think this might be around 10 miles and has mostly single track:

- Park at the Pedro Fages monument just off Sunrise Hwy (S1), 32.99438,-116.542409
    - Cross the highway and pick up the La Cima trail and head Southwest
    - Trail becomes the CA Riding & Hiking Trail (CR&HT)
    - At intersection of Soapstone Grade FR, turn left (South)
    - At bottom of Soapstone FR, turn left (North) on La Cima trail (note: Upper Green Valley FR goes south to the school camp from here)
    - At top of climb, cross paved road (Upper Green Valley Rd) and pick up continuation of La Cima trail (start of out-&-back) to dirt lot along Sunrise Hwy
    - At Southeast end of dirt lot (by restrooms), pick up Lucky 5 trail to ranch gates at Sunrise Hwy (end of out-&-back)
    - Retrace route along Lucky 5 & La Cima trails back to paved road (Upper Green Vly Rd)
    - Cross road and turn right (North) on La Cima trail, enjoy single track contour trail back to Fages lot

Most of that route is on the upper portion of this trip: Cuyamaca 20130622 by random_walk at Garmin Connect - Details

It is the upper half of the big loop, running counter-clockwise from roughly the very top of the loop, with the out-&-back spur. The part I didn't ride is the Soapstone FR which is the small u-shaped green trail connecting the 2 sides of the loop at the "pinch point."

K.O.M.
    Very red ground there. Is that clay?

banned
    Here's another but I don't have a GPS track of it all together. I'm not sure of the miles.

- Park at Oakzanita lot, 32.889524, -116.575947. Head North on single track paralleling Hwy 79. Fun roller coaster section through "desert."
    - When you reach the big lot at the Sweetwater bridge, ride pavement heading North to cross the bridge and cross Hwy 79 to pick up West side trail.
    - After a short distance West Side trail will join Japacha FR, then West Side takes a sharp split to the right. Go right at the split.
    - Head North on West Side trail, crossing Japacha creek. After some flowy single track paralleling the highway, the trail will turn towards the highway. Take left at the split to continue up to West Mesa FR (note: if you come out at Hwy 79 across from the Visitor Center lot, go back a short way and turn right to continue North).
    - Continue North through some climbing and a couple of rocky sections, then turn right on West Mesa FR.
    - After a very short distance, (carefully) cross Hwy 79 and pick up Cold Stream trail, heading South (right). This is FUN.
    - Continue South on Cold Stream to the School Camp / Visitor's Center, turn right at the paved road and head out to Hwy 79.
    - (Carefully) cross the highway and pick up West Side trail, passing the split you took earlier and continuing Southwest.
    - Retrace from here back to the Oakzanita lot.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Very red ground there. Is that clay?
    There's a variety of soil types there. Some of it is adobe clay. Part of that ride enters for a bit into Anza Borrego Desert State Park, but in its' higher elevations.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for posting the rides Random Walk! I'll have to get back out there and check it out.
    I've kind of avoided the place for years, because I didn't want to drive way out there to ride a bunch of fire roads. Hopefully with this talk of moving some wilderness boundaries they will be putting in some trails that can give Noble canyon a run for its money!

banned
    You're welcome. BTW there was more single track being built, and/or existing trail opened up to bikes, by the lake and the Los Vaqueros horse camp (I think that's the one). I haven't seen status on it for a while.

Beer Please! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPivot429 View Post
    added new video and page to mtbnomad.com Cuyamaca Loop

Very cool, Have you thought about including a link to your strava ride that matches the video?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Klure, Strava link is on the web page, Cuyamaca Loop, on the San Diego link click the icon there...hope that helps.

Beer Please! Moderator
    oh cool, I did not actually check your webpage... lol

mtbr member
    and Klure, if u want a shout out next time I head up that way...let me know.

Beer Please! Moderator
    I am not sure I am in shape for that kinda of mileage and climbing yet.... My old Surgeon forced me to stop activity for nearly 3 months at the end of last summer and I am just now starting to feel like I was before that happened. But thanks for the offer!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I am not sure I am in shape for that kinda of mileage and climbing yet.... My old Surgeon forced me to stop activity for nearly 3 months at the end of last summer and I am just now starting to feel like I was before that happened. But thanks for the offer!
    That second ride I posted has mild to moderate climbing, but not any long stretches. Probably one of the easiest routes in the Cuyamacas from that perspective.

Beer Please! Moderator
    I am just saying I might be suuuuuper slow on the climbs. Turn a two-hour ride for someone healthy into a 4 hour ride... ;-)

mtbr member
    Kluge, what happened with your health? PM me if you like, or just ignore me if that is too personal!

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I am just saying I might be suuuuuper slow on the climbs. Turn a two-hour ride for someone healthy into a 4 hour ride... ;-)
    I was thinking the same thing. After looking at his Strava report on the Cuyamaca ride, I can do the 22 miles no prob, but not in 2-1/2 fricken hours...that's almost Tinker-level ability! I could do it in 4 though.

Beer Please! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPivot429 View Post
    Kluge, what happened with your health? PM me if you like, or just ignore me if that is too personal!
    Aortic Disection

All the info is in there.