Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005

Cuyamaca Grand Loop conditions?

Anyone ride up there in the last few days?

Lot's of trees still down on the East Mesa FR?
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    Anyone ride up there in the last few days?

Lot's of trees still down on the East Mesa FR?

Did the loop this past weekend. Skipped middle peak, but we were actually surprised at the low number of trees across the trail. Looked like someone has been pretty busy with a chainsaw.

Mark.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Rode the grand loop last Saturday (3/22). Also skipped Middle Peak. Everything else was great! The last downhill on Fern Flats or whatever it's called still had three trees across the trail, the last of which will clothesline you if you're not careful due to its perfect chest height, deceiving tan color and location around a bend.

Another note: the downhill has a lot of shrubbery growing up on the sides, which makes for a lot of blind corners. Almost had some run-ins with some horses. Nothing serious because I was paying close attention, but could easily be a disaster if you totally fly without slowing on the curves.

In all, a great ride and the weather was perfect.

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Where is this ride?

How long is it?

How hard?

Thanks
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

mtbr member
    www.mountainbikebill.com is your best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    Where is this ride?

How long is it?

How hard?

Thanks

mtbr member

Middle Peak is a Mess

I rode Middle Peak last Friday and found it to be a hike-a-bike section due to the large number of downed trees. It was clear on the way up, if you want the exercise, but I wouldn't want to be up there on a windy day. Looks the the burned trees have deteriorated to the point where they are starting to fall down.

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Devine Intervention
    I rode Middle Peak last Friday and found it to be a hike-a-bike section due to the large number of downed trees. It was clear on the way up, if you want the exercise, but I wouldn't want to be up there on a windy day. Looks the the burned trees have deteriorated to the point where they are starting to fall down.
    It rained a lot this year. The ground was so soft, and the wind factor added to that, helped topple them. As the big ones fall, they take down many smaller ones. I've never had to ride in a burnt out forest before, I don't know how safe this area will be anymore in the summer. Especially when the big winds hit late summer.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

Over the Hill
    It's not the trees falling you have to worry about, when they fall it is in slow motion. It is the limbs and tops of dead trees, they get up some speed and fall heavy end down.

Dean