School Bites

Current Status of Sycamore Canyon Trail (SD)

We're down for the week and planned to hit Sycamore Canyon Trail in San Diego. Does anyone know if it is open? I've read that it had been recently closed.

Any other fun and fairly tame (I have my wife with me) rides in the area let me know.

Thanks!
    "Get this man a milkshake. Might have to show him how to use the straw though." -kidwoo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I believe it is still officially closed beyond the gate...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Access from the south is crossing Military land they they are actively enforcing the closure. Sycamore Canyon is NOT closed and can be access from the north Poway side just fine. Just don't venture past the boundary on the south end fence. That is where you can run into problems. The signs are very clear out there.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    sycamore Canyon park is open and has never been closed. the ride most people usually refer to as Sycamore canyon starting in santee and riding along the lakes, however, is not all open

mtbr member
    The Stowe Corridor is what's partially owned by the Marines. Start from the trail entrance off the 67 and you'll have no issues. If you're looking for some awesome chunk to ride, head over to iron mountain which is 3 miles north on the 67.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I guess I should have been more clear in my first post: The Sycamore park is open (Martha's etc) but if you travel outside the gate and down the single track to Santee a ways you'll see signs the Military put up. Still some good trails to ride, you just can't start from Santee or do a full loop. Start from the parking lot at the end of Sycamore Canyon Rd, or from the horse staging area off 67 and you can still get some good riding in.