Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Smile Crystal Cove: Advice, tips, guiding?

Hi all,

I am a New Yorker that will be spending the Christmas holiday with relatives in Newport Coast. I plan to take my bike with me and ride a couple/few hours every morning from December 23rd to 31st.

I'll be staying at the very "top" of Newport Coast, a little road names Coral Cay. From there it looks like I can ride right into the park close to the "Muddy Canyon Entrance" / "No Name Ridge".

Any routes/tips for me? Any locals interested in guiding me?

I am an intermediate rider, FS 29er.

Thanks!

Leo

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That's me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crystal Cove: Advice, tips, guiding?-image.jpg  

I eat cats
    El Moro (CC) is my local spot. You will have plenty to ride right there where you will be staying. I enter up at the Ridge Park entrance, here is a screenshot of a ~6.5 mile route I do for a quick ride. The dark green line is the 6.5 mile run but you can see the light green lines from previous runs I have done that are longer. Print out a map online, not too tricky to find your way around. There are also maps on posts throughout the park with rivets stuck in for the "you are here" info. Plenty of other routes too, I just included one. If you want a decent technical run go down Rattlesnake. Will you have access to a car that can haul your bike? You can check out plenty of other spots in OC if so.

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Over the Hill
    Most do not know about Muddy Ridge because it is behind locked gates in a community not open to the public. I come out that way sometimes just to see how the other 1%ers live. I would just ride from the house using muddy ridge and explore.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks guys; yes I'll be spending time with the 1%. It looks like there is a dirt road called Los Trancos Access Rd that I could ride straight East to find No Name Ridge. I was planning to use this map unless there is a better one out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crystal Cove: Advice, tips, guiding?-image.jpg  

I eat cats
    That map is all you need.. Laguna Canyon is just south from there too which you can ride. I can maybe ride that Saturday or Sunday you are in town. PM me if you are interested. I live close by.
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    There are lots of fun trails there--and in neighboring Laguna Coast Wilderness. Many of the best trails may be...difficult to find on your own, so a guide is key! I'm off that whole week and can help you out if you'd like. Just shoot me a PM next month.

Doug
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Over the Hill
    Bring your climbing legs not much flat in that neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Dirtvert(Doug) knows the area really well. I'm usually out there a couple times a week with my kids, we can give you a tour also, we don't ride as fast as Doug, but were also not slow. The shop I work at also does a shop ride every Sunday at 7:30am in El Moro. PM me if you want to ride.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips and offers. I'll be getting in touch as the time gets closer. I guess these are the maps for Laguna Coast?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Map:

Front Range, Colorado
    Well I have never ridden in that area, but I have spent some time there
    And you coming from N.Y. you are going to be in sensory overload. The area is absolutely amazing with a different scenic sight around every corner. Be sure to head north up the coast highway 20 minutes and check out Laguna beach. There are some great places to eat and grab a brew. I have seen that Crank Brothers are in the Laguna Beach village which might be worth checking out.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-14-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The time is getting close, we head out this weekend. Who's available for a Monday morning (Christmas Eve morning) ride? Doug, Jeff, any others?

Leo

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I might be able to ride on Monday, I'll let you know.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I'm in for Monday!

Suggestion: We should meet in the parking lot by the bathroom/ballfields around the corner from the end of Ridge Park Rd. We'll just have to keep an eye on the rain. El Moro will close at a hint of precip, but Laguna Coast needs something significant to close.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 12-20-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

I eat cats
    Dang, I'm working that morning. I plan on bringing my bike to work (office is 5 mins away) and riding el Moro late morning/early afternoon since its early market close so maybe I'll see you guys on your way out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What time?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'll let Jeff and Doug pick the time, I'm flexible, I'll be the bearded gent on this East Coast rig.

Is the parking lot the one about a half mile south of Newport Coast Drive, east side of the road, looks like it's surrounded by a golf course and the road sign is labelled "Los Trancos"? (I'm looking at Google Earth).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crystal Cove: Advice, tips, guiding?-copy-img_5552.jpg  

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Sorry- I meant the south end of Ridge Park Rd, around the corner on E. Coastal Peak Rd. (Coastal Peak Park).

I'm free all day, so anytime after 7:30 works!

BTW- Just checked the weather and there's a 60% chance of rain on Monday. Let's keep an eye on it; if we can't beat the storm, we'll have to wait a couple days for things to dry out.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 12-20-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    Why?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Got it, this must be the place. Shall we say 9am on Monday? I'll PM my cell# & email.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crystal Cove: Advice, tips, guiding?-untitled.jpg  

Crystal Cove: Advice, tips, guiding?-untitled_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Make sure you get out to Aliso & Woods Canyon as well. It's a really good place to ride, and really close to where you are at.

Orange County California - OC Parks

Also, it looks like it's gonna be raining a bit. If you're looking for a place that's good to ride during or after a rain (and you have access to a car), take a look at Sycamore Canyon in Riverside. It's a bit far from you, but worth a drive if you want to get out. I'll likely be riding there on Christmas Eve morning based on the weather forecast. If you want to meet up for a ride, hit me up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'll be riding with the Two Wheels One Planet shop ride @ El Moro in the morning. We meet at ridge Park at 7:30am. I will be wearing a red Rad Racing long sleeve jersey and red shorts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Jeff, I won't make it out today (Sunday), got to build the bike up and such. I'm still on for tomorrow morning (Monday).

Garcia, looking at the maps, it seems like if I'm feeling ambitious one day this week, I could ride right through Crystal Cove and Laguna Coast and right into Alison & Wood?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by leopold View Post

Garcia, looking at the maps, it seems like if I'm feeling ambitious one day this week, I could ride right through Crystal Cove and Laguna Coast and right into Alison & Wood?
    Yep, you certainly can! From Laguna Coast, you cross over Laguna Canyon Road, and you're there. There's a lot of really great trails at Aliso & Wood, a LOT more fun than Crystal Cove.

Check it out: Geoladders -- aliso-laguna wilderness-crystal cove parks

Oh yeah, nice rig! Mine is similar to yours They work equally well on the west coast

Last edited by AGarcia; 12-23-2012 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I can't make it tomorrow, some things have come up, but on Wednesday I am going to take the kids out to ride the Luge, your welcome to join us.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast