mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Counting coup Santa Ana

I must be crazy, did sign up. Better get my ass in gear and start training.

My regular rides are 15 miles and 1500 feet of climbing. A long ride is 22 miles and 2300 feet of climbing.

I just signed up for 44 miles and 8000 feet. Excited and ready to tackle this.

I am 43 and my target time is 6 hours.

At least I have 7 month to get in better shape!

We going to meet up for a couple of post rides beers?

mtbr member
    Awesome! Good luck!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

Warrior's Society
    It's an opportunity to push yourself past your comfort zone and see that you are much more capable than one would think.

I will be out there for Vision Quest.

Good luck.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Good luck. Stay on your training. See you out there!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Question guys. Currently ride Kenda slant 6 tires with tubes. Great set up and never have any flats.

I am willing to try tubeless but won't if I don't have to.

So my question is. How is the thorn situation riding the counting coup? Are most flats from pinch flatting or are they thorn related

Tx for replies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The CC trails are mostly hard-pack trails and fire road so you shouldn't have a thorn issue, if you are getting pinch-flats that's not the trails fault. Some of these trails are steep and rocky and I'd recommend pre-riding them before the event.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would like to pre ride some of the trail. Which part do you think is the most technical?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Holy Jim is probably the most technical but it's not really that technical if you take your time. If you want to get a taste of the course I'd do Blackstar to the Motorway. Your profile says you're in LA county, where about? I might be able to meet up with you one weekend and show you the trail.

Warrior's Society
    The 3 miles down the Silverado Motorway is probably the most technical/reach out and bite you if you aren't paying attention. It is all singletrack. Plus it is the most likely place to get a flat....at least for the CC riders. I have found talking with a large number of participants....that Motorway scares 30% of them....they just don't like it.

The drop from Santiago Peak to Upper Holy Jim has a few really loose and rocky sections. However it is a fireroad.

Upper Holy Jim is tricky....a lot of riders have issues making the swithcbacks. Othwise it is a fun and challenging singletrack.

Lower Holy Jim has a couple of small rocky sections, but is mostly smooth flowy singletrack.....till you start getting into the swithcbacks. Plus this is where you are most likey to encounter other trail users.

Riders sometimes have issues with U/L Holy Jim, partly because of the amount of miles under thier belts by that time.

I actually recomend riding each section at least once.

Try Blackstar to Motorway, try Maple Sprinfs to Santiago Peak, try Maple Springs to Peak to U/L Holy Jim.

The Main divide between top of Blackstar and Motorway or 4 Corners to Santiaho Peak seem waaaaaaayyyyy longer if you are not familiar with them.

There I plenty of time between now and then to check out the different sections.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated. Thing is I am in Santa Clarita about 90 minutes north of the area.

Blackstar to motorway it is.

I am planning on going twice to check out U/L holy Jim. Would be fun to meet up jl. I'll pm you before I get out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sounds good. Blackstar-Motorway is about a 26 mile ride and you should plan on 3-4 hours in the saddle.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Really smart to ride Upper and Lower Holy Jim before the event--and session any parts of Upper HJ that give you trouble (maybe ride it with somebody who's good at tech to show you the lines). Riding up Lower HJ to the peak, then taking Upper-Lower down is a good training ride. Also, I would roll some more aggressive tires--even the Motorway could be sketchy on Slants.

I've only done the Coup course self-supported with friends; you'll be fine if you just plan out your training and get in a few looong rides. And factor in losing some weekends to rain... If you enjoy the event, consider the San Jacinto Enduro in Idyllwild for a truly epic day. Good luck!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 10-15-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sounds good, I will do Blackstar-Motorway and the holy Jim,s.

So people ride lower Holy Jim up?

Hint taken on the tires ,figured that they would not be enough for the downhills. Just mounted a rubena kratos on front, only have 1 ride on it so far but seems grippier then the slant 6.

Anyone took the time to map out CC in google earth and would like to share the file?

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    Sounds good, I will do Blackstar-Motorway and the holy Jim,s.

So people ride lower Holy Jim up?

Hint taken on the tires ,figured that they would not be enough for the downhills. Just mounted a rubena kratos on front, only have 1 ride on it so far but seems grippier then the slant 6.

Anyone took the time to map out CC in google earth and would like to share the file?

Geoladders -- Counting Coup '12

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Also, I would roll some more aggressive tires--even the Motorway could be sketchy on Slants.
    I ride these trails regularly on Maxxis Ikons without any trouble, are Slants that much different?

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    I ride these trails regularly on Maxxis Ikons without any trouble, are Slants that much different?
    Yeah, it can definitely can be done. I've ridden them on SB8's on a SS. But if you're just learning the trails, and you're doing a long race that starts in the dark--a little extra rubber might not be a bad thing!

Learux- the climb up Lower HJ is just a steady grind, comparable to the San Juan trail. Start at the bottom of Trabuco Canyon--just off of Live Oak Canyon--to get some bonus climbing.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I ride B*star -Motorway about 2-3 times a month. In the last month I have ridden with two different people that have flatted on Motorway. If your goal is to finish the race then by all means run a tire with some side wall protection. It doesn't have to be a tank but IKON with EXO or conti protection , Spesh controls, etc. Just don't run S-works renegades, trust me

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quick check in and question. So jlmuncie and I rode the course in two sessions(thanks for that Sir!).

My impressions, back in November we did blackstar to motorway back to blackstar. It was very cold, windy and humid. wasn't dressed appropriately and suffered more then necessary. The climb wasn't too bad I thought the undulating part was much harder. Motorway was not hard for me but I took it easy . Single track going down on loose rocks is not something I really enjoy but I didn't find it very hard.

About 5 weeks ago we parked one car at the Path bikeshop took the other one to Silverado and rode the second half of the course. It was a beautiful day and the climb wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

UHL I didn't care for all that much. I wasn't very good at switchbacks to begin with and being on a 29er didn't help at all. Most of them I had to walk. LHJ is amazing what a fun track that is, still had to jump of a few times but most switchbacks I made ok.

I did one thing wrong, I started training to early and peeked about 4 weeks ago, got a little burnout and gained a few pounds from drinking too much beer.

I think 6 hours will be tough but I am going for it. Hope to see you all there.

Lastly I received two emails from warrior society about a week ago. One described a 50 mile hike, the other one was blank. Did I miss something important?

Thanks and see you guys 04/05 oh dark fifteen!
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    Quick check in and question. So jlmuncie and I rode the course in two sessions(thanks for that Sir!).

My impressions, back in November we did blackstar to motorway back to blackstar. It was very cold, windy and humid. wasn't dressed appropriately and suffered more then necessary. The climb wasn't too bad I thought the undulating part was much harder. Motorway was not hard for me but I took it easy . Single track going down on loose rocks is not something I really enjoy but I didn't find it very hard.

About 5 weeks ago we parked one car at the Path bikeshop took the other one to Silverado and rode the second half of the course. It was a beautiful day and the climb wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

UHL I didn't care for all that much. I wasn't very good at switchbacks to begin with and being on a 29er didn't help at all. Most of them I had to walk. LHJ is amazing what a fun track that is, still had to jump of a few times but most switchbacks I made ok.

I did one thing wrong, I started training to early and peeked about 4 weeks ago, got a little burnout and gained a few pounds from drinking too much beer.

I think 6 hours will be tough but I am going for it. Hope to see you all there.

Lastly I received two emails from warrior society about a week ago. One described a 50 mile hike, the other one was blank. Did I miss something important?

Thanks and see you guys 04/05 oh dark fifteen!
    No you did not miss anything.....the email was just a heads up about a 50k trail run going on out on the second half of the course.

UHJ is in a bit worse condition since the rain....but still really fun.

Motorway is in a bit worse condition since the rain....but it always has it's tricky spots.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post

Motorway is in a bit worse condition since the rain....but it always has it's tricky spots.
    The upper part of MW is better off post rain not as loose as it was those weeks before the rain IMHO. Lower MW though is worse off due to some ruts.

I would also be careful on the main divide. There are some pretty big ruts post rain on some of the descents and while not technical if you are not paying attention they will can bite you.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by grendalfly View Post
    The upper part of MW is better off post rain not as loose as it was those weeks before the rain IMHO. Lower MW though is worse off due to some ruts.

I would also be careful on the main divide. There are some pretty big ruts post rain on some of the descents and while not technical if you are not paying attention they will can bite you.
    Some of the ruts on MW were fixed last Friday.....we rode it on Saturday and it was fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Some of the ruts on MW were fixed last Friday.....we rode it on Saturday and it was fine.
    Yeah, I saw the pictures Gene posted of the long boxy one, that on almost got me a couple weeks back.