mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cougar spotted at BlueJay

I ran across this today in the paper and thought I would share it. Just be on the lookout up at San Juan Trail.

News: Californian

Last modified Wednesday, May 5, 2004 10:17 PM PDT

Cougar sighted at campground

By: DAVE DOWNEY - Staff Writer

EL CARISO VILLAGE ---- A large, bold mountain lion has been seen at a popular campground on the Riverside-Orange county line four times in two weeks, prompting authorities Wednesday to warn campers, hikers and mountain bikers to take precautions.

"It hasn't been aggressive, but it hasn't been trying to hide, either," said Judy Behrens, a U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman based in Corona. "He's not shy."

Behrens said authorities believe the cougar to be a male because of its size, estimated from 140 to 160 pounds.

The cougar was seen three times by campers, a camp host and a Forest Service recreation officer in the fading daylight of late afternoon or early evening and once after dark, said Karry Galey, a recreation supervisor for the Cleveland National Forest.

Each sighting was at Blue Jay Campground, near El Cariso Village at an elevation of 3,000 feet. Galey said the last sighting was 9:15 p.m. Saturday near campsite No. 30. The campground has 50 spaces.

Because of the flurry of sightings, Behrens said authorities are asking campers to take measures to ensure their safety.

"If you have children with you, keep those children with you at all times," Behrens said.

It is also advisable to avoid venturing out alone, she said, and to make yourself look larger by raising arms or opening a jacket, if a cougar crosses your path.

The Forest Service's warning extends to mountain bikers and hikers on the 11-mile-long San Juan Trail, which tops out at Blue Jay Campground.

Blue Jay, which has a lush meadow and is shaded by a grove of large oak trees, is proving extra popular this spring because of campground closures in the mountains of San Diego and San Bernardino counties following last fall's firestorm, Behrens said.

"We're not usually a primary destination point," she said.

In the past, Blue Jay campers were mostly "locals" from nearby Riverside County and Orange County communities. Now large numbers are streaming in from far away, Behrens said. And there are many more campers overall.

"We're having as many people come up as we normally do on Memorial Day weekend," Galey said. "Since April 1, we have been full every weekend."

In a more typical spring, Galey said, about 10 of the 50 sites are filled.

The Forest Service's warning came on the same day that Anaheim police warned residents of suburban Anaheim Hills to take precautions after a pair of mountain lions were sighted there Saturday and Tuesday.

Earlier this year, the Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve west of Murrieta closed several weeks after a cougar sighting.

Forest Service officials say the growing number of sightings across the region is not surprising because the dozens of lions that roam the Santa Ana Mountains between the Santa Rosa Plateau and Chino Hills are increasingly being squeezed out of their habitat by urban development.

"They're losing it every day, as we speak," Behrens said. "You drive the (Interstate) 15 and all you see is bulldozers chopping up more land for more subdivisions."

Contact staff writer Dave Downey at (909) 676-4315, Ext. 2616, or ddowney@californian.com.

banned
    Apr 2004

Can't blame a cougar for being a cougar

Quote Originally Posted by bbalka
    I ran across this today in the paper and thought I would share it. Just be on the lookout up at San Juan Trail.

News: Californian

Last modified Wednesday, May 5, 2004 10:17 PM PDT

Cougar sighted at campground

By: DAVE DOWNEY - Staff Writer

EL CARISO VILLAGE ---- A large, bold mountain lion has been seen at a popular campground on the Riverside-Orange county line four times in two weeks, prompting authorities Wednesday to warn campers, hikers and mountain bikers to take precautions.

"It hasn't been aggressive, but it hasn't been trying to hide, either," said Judy Behrens, a U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman based in Corona. "He's not shy."

Behrens said authorities believe the cougar to be a male because of its size, estimated from 140 to 160 pounds.

The cougar was seen three times by campers, a camp host and a Forest Service recreation officer in the fading daylight of late afternoon or early evening and once after dark, said Karry Galey, a recreation supervisor for the Cleveland National Forest.

Each sighting was at Blue Jay Campground, near El Cariso Village at an elevation of 3,000 feet. Galey said the last sighting was 9:15 p.m. Saturday near campsite No. 30. The campground has 50 spaces.

Because of the flurry of sightings, Behrens said authorities are asking campers to take measures to ensure their safety.

"If you have children with you, keep those children with you at all times," Behrens said.

It is also advisable to avoid venturing out alone, she said, and to make yourself look larger by raising arms or opening a jacket, if a cougar crosses your path.

The Forest Service's warning extends to mountain bikers and hikers on the 11-mile-long San Juan Trail, which tops out at Blue Jay Campground.

Blue Jay, which has a lush meadow and is shaded by a grove of large oak trees, is proving extra popular this spring because of campground closures in the mountains of San Diego and San Bernardino counties following last fall's firestorm, Behrens said.

"We're not usually a primary destination point," she said.

In the past, Blue Jay campers were mostly "locals" from nearby Riverside County and Orange County communities. Now large numbers are streaming in from far away, Behrens said. And there are many more campers overall.

"We're having as many people come up as we normally do on Memorial Day weekend," Galey said. "Since April 1, we have been full every weekend."

In a more typical spring, Galey said, about 10 of the 50 sites are filled.

The Forest Service's warning came on the same day that Anaheim police warned residents of suburban Anaheim Hills to take precautions after a pair of mountain lions were sighted there Saturday and Tuesday.

Earlier this year, the Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve west of Murrieta closed several weeks after a cougar sighting.

Forest Service officials say the growing number of sightings across the region is not surprising because the dozens of lions that roam the Santa Ana Mountains between the Santa Rosa Plateau and Chino Hills are increasingly being squeezed out of their habitat by urban development.

"They're losing it every day, as we speak," Behrens said. "You drive the (Interstate) 15 and all you see is bulldozers chopping up more land for more subdivisions."

Contact staff writer Dave Downey at (909) 676-4315, Ext. 2616, or ddowney@californian.com.
    I'll take my chances but thanks for the warning

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    Can't blame a cougar for being a cougar
    I think the problem is that this cougar apparently is not acting like a normal cougar. Normally, they are very shy and elusive, wanting nothing to do with humans. This one apparently is losing its fear of humans, which can be dangerous. I'm not saying shoot the cougar or anything, but precautions with children, pets, etc. would be prudent.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    I think the problem is that this cougar apparently is not acting like a normal cougar. Normally, they are very shy and elusive, wanting nothing to do with humans. This one apparently is losing its fear of humans, which can be dangerous. I'm not saying shoot the cougar or anything, but precautions with children, pets, etc. would be prudent.
    Well, I'll say it ... [SIZE=4]SHOOT IT DEAD[/SIZE] I need a new rug anyways.

How fast can those things run ?? I wonder if he could catch me on my Turner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack
    Well, I'll say it ... [SIZE=4]SHOOT IT DEAD[/SIZE] I need a new rug anyways.

How fast can those things run ?? I wonder if he could catch me on my Turner.
    You must be a Bush lover, preemptive killing -nice.
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

g c
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've come across this kitty recently on Chiquito (at dawn near the rock water crossing). Its' behavior isn't normal and it isn't terribly afraid of people.

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by g c
    I've come across this kitty recently on Chiquito (at dawn near the rock water crossing). Its' behavior isn't normal and it isn't terribly afraid of people.
    What would you suggest be done ?
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

g c
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    What would you suggest be done ?
    I wish I had an easy answer, but I don't. I know bears from my years of backpacking, not lions.

This I do know. There was a young male cat acting fairly odd in Whiting in August of last year. It ran along side trail users and eventually was treed but wouldn't leave the area. Same cat that is now infamous? Perhaps, or at least as theory goes.

Should this cat be killed? I don't think that there is true cause for that as of yet. Could relocation help? You would think but cats have such a large territory that any relocation in Socal would inevitably put this cat back in touch with humans.

There is a theory from someone of credentials locally that theorizes that cats orphaned by parents (death by car, gun shot or other) have a greater possibility of less fear of humans, and some eventually seeing them as prey. The theory further goes that the cats haven't been taught by their parents (the dead ones) that people are scary, and thus look at them as part of the food chain.

The long and short of it is that I think we just have to ride it out and see what happens. If you are confronted by a cat, make it fear you. Hit it with rocks, yell, make yourself appear bigger and just become a pain in its' tail, so to speak.

This is also true of the two cats known on Santiago Truck Trail.

Whig party member
    The lions are crazy, and they will attack agien. The population of the lions has grown, I tkink 5 times more as it was 5 years ago. It is time to put a stop to their growth and level it to a safe agreement.

I think we shouldn't have to worry or even have it in our head if something is going to attack us or not.