mtbr member

Is Corral Cyn Gone?

Hey I was wondering what was up with the Backbone singletrack from Corral to Latigo. I heard that the fire's origin was in a cave up there so I'm thinking that it's pretty scorched now. I just rode it a couple weeks ago and it will be sad to see it without any of the foliage and tree cover that made that canyon singletrack so nice-

cask conditioned
    I don't really know how much around the trail was burnt, but if it did it'll be back to normal before you know it.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member
    I was just wondering if the trail was open for use or are the roads closed to non residents up there. I imagine it will grow back, but it'll take some time esp with the lack of rain we've been having.

Trying a little
    there was nothing there to grow back, other than a few weeds. Probably since the rain there's more already than before the fires.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

wii!!!!!
    I rode my motorcycle up there yesterday, and while the canyon was totally torched on the way up, the actual trailhead at the top of corral canyon road was not burned ( obviously it burned last year, but not this time). Most of the canyon that backbone goes though was fine.

It was nutty driving up there, there were places where the road was all black from the fire, and the yellow line in the center of the road was burned.

But It looks like the trail is fine.
    something funny

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just checked the Santa Monica State Parks web site. It no longer states that the Backbone trail is closed From Latigo Canyon to Mulholand. So, It should be good to ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brenth
    I rode my motorcycle up there yesterday, and while the canyon was totally torched on the way up, the actual trailhead at the top of corral canyon road was not burned ( obviously it burned last year, but not this time). Most of the canyon that backbone goes though was fine.

It was nutty driving up there, there were places where the road was all black from the fire, and the yellow line in the center of the road was burned.

But It looks like the trail is fine.
    thats good news- I'm going to check it out this weekend hopefully. I like to drive up Latigo, that road is a blast. On a motorcycle it would be even better

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    We rode Backbone this afternoon. Up Bulldog to Corral Canyon over to Latigo Rd. The trail is in great shape. The burn area starts at Corral Canyon TH up in the rocks. The ocean side of the fire road is all burnt from Corral Canyon to Mesa Pk. The rains packed the fireroad down good after all the fire fighting equipment used on road.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdr
    We rode Backbone this afternoon. Up Bulldog to Corral Canyon over to Latigo Rd. The trail is in great shape. The burn area starts at Corral Canyon TH up in the rocks. The ocean side of the fire road is all burnt from Corral Canyon to Mesa Pk. The rains packed the fireroad down good after all the fire fighting equipment used on road.
    Thanks for the update. So is that to say the trail from Corral all the way to Kanan is good?
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdr
    thanks for the report. wow, climbing bulldog- I only did that once with my hardtail before I knew about the backbone singletrack...I vowed never to do it again. I bet the trail is nice and tacky now from the rains though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    We rode from kanan to Corral last sunday 12/9. The condition is fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jechiu
    We rode from kanan to Corral last sunday 12/9. The condition is fine.
    I'm surprised you could do that ride! I was thinking of it, but checked the National Park Service web site and they said Solstice Canyon was closed until March 2008. So we didn't try it; maybe we should have?