I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Connecting Hummingbird to Chumash at the bottom?

Anyone have any up to date beta on the status of getting from Hummingbird Trail in Simi to the bottom of Chumash without doing the big loop around LA Ave? The last time I did it, there was no access through the dirt due to construction.

Thanks.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    there still is technically no connector, but you can easily put your bike over the white vinyl fence and follow the rest of the bicycle tracks to get from A to B. the construction has been dormant for months...
    really disappointing that the corridor is closed because construction companies can't finish work...

I'm still disappointed the city couldn't buy the land back
    Simi Cycling Center
    Simi's Premier Bicycle Shop, Since 1975
    Specialized, Giant and More...

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney
    there still is technically no connector, but you can easily put your bike over the white vinyl fence and follow the rest of the bicycle tracks to get from A to B. the construction has been dormant for months...
    really disappointing that the corridor is closed because construction companies can't finish work...

I'm still disappointed the city couldn't buy the land back
    Thanks. It sounds like it will be obvious when we get there as to how to get it done. Yes?
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    If you do not mind adding a couple miles to the ride, before heading up Chumash ride over to the water tank, down and around behind Mt Sinai, there is a fire/access road that follows the base of the hill. It ends at the construction now but it will be easier to find where it hooks up with the construction.

Put these coordinates, 3417'03.49"N 11839'55.49"W, into Google maps, Yahoo maps or Google Earth and that is where the fr now starts.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CA_Descender
    If you do not mind adding a couple miles to the ride, before heading up Chumash ride over to the water tank, down and around behind Mt Sinai, there is a fire/access road that follows the base of the hill. It ends at the construction now but it will be easier to find where it hooks up with the construction.

Put these coordinates, 3417'03.49"N 11839'55.49"W, into Google maps, Yahoo maps or Google Earth and that is where the fr now starts.
    So is this a way to connect the trails at the bottom or? Not sure I get it. Doing the city street go around sure adds miles to the ride which is fine, just boring.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    So is this a way to connect the trails at the bottom or? Not sure I get it. Doing the city street go around sure adds miles to the ride which is fine, just boring.
    Some riders hop the fence and ride around to where the FR now starts. Other take the street.

The fireroad has been plowed and the hillside cut so it might be hard to find at first.

If that wont work for you and you want to stay off the main streets then try this route. There are a few turns but is almost 1/2mi or so shorter then going down to LA and around to Yosemite and very little traffic.

After exiting HB head South(left) on Kuehner
    Turn West(right) on Menlo St
    Turn NorthWest(right) on Alscot Av
    Turn West(left) on Nelda
    Turn North on Malton(right) - Malton will veer West
    Turn North(right) on St Clair
    Turn East(right) on Cochran - follow Cochran over the 118 to Mt Sinai Dr
    Once you get to Mt Sinai Dr look across the street and a towards the end of the fence line, you will see a few big boulders marking the entrance to the trail that goes straight up the hill in front of you. The top of that hill is near the trailhead for Chumash.
    You can go straight up which is a bytch of a climb, short but steep and loose, or follow the ST around and it will switch back up the hill and around.