Equal opportunity meanie

Condor Peak in Angeles Nat'l Forest?

http://mountainbikebill.com/CondorPeak.htm

I've been drooling over this ride for too long and it's about high time I get out to actually do it. Does anyone have recent trail reports/conditions? Is there anyone here who rides it regularly or wants to hook up for the shuttle part of it?

Stray Bullet
    Depending on when you ride it I would be interesting in joining you. I thought the Mt. WIlson shuttle ride had some exposure. From the pictures it ain't got nothing on this ride.

Equal opportunity meanie
    I'd say they're similar. Try stopping after some of the exposed sections on the frontside of Wilson and look back up at what you just came down/across - you'd be surprised. I'd like to do this ride some early morning next week. I'm probably going to begrudgingly race Fontana this weekend.

Stray Bullet
    How about doing it on the weekend? Maybe mid October?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Not really a shuttle trail.Park your car at the end Trail Canyon and ride to Condor Peak trailhead.Of course thats if your doing the Condor Peak /Trail Canyon loop which is the recomened loop.CFIT is the one who rides it a lot.He still posts on socalmtb a lot.He could give a good up to date trail review.

Equal opportunity meanie
    I didn't assume it was a shuttle trail, just a point-to-point. I have no ambition to be riding my bike on those roads - I know full well how people drive back there and how little of a shoulder there is. Besides, I don't want to be doing this ride solo anyway. That is just asking for trouble.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The ride I was thinking of is Condor Peak/Trail Canyon.I checked out the MTB Bill ride and that is a different ride.Condor Peak is a better climb than descent.It is slick and sandy in a lot of spots like if you threw sand on a side walk.You can get some good speed coming down but if you crash it could be bad,plus its not really challenging.Trail Canyon criss crosses a stream and has some tech sections and is a fun descent.Kind of like Red Box /JPL but with 1/8th of the use.Riding the road from the parking area is not bad at all never saw any cars when Ive done it.Try and reach CFIT ,he does all the trails in that area a lot.He live near there.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Gotcha. I'll go hit him up. Looking on Google Earth there are trails all over that ridge. I'm sure there are multiple ways down and I sure wouldn't mind exploring some more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmomma
    The ride I was thinking of is Condor Peak/Trail Canyon.I checked out the MTB Bill ride and that is a different ride.Condor Peak is a better climb than descent.It is slick and sandy in a lot of spots like if you threw sand on a side walk.You can get some good speed coming down but if you crash it could be bad,plus its not really challenging.Trail Canyon criss crosses a stream and has some tech sections and is a fun descent.Kind of like Red Box /JPL but with 1/8th of the use.Riding the road from the parking area is not bad at all never saw any cars when Ive done it.Try and reach CFIT ,he does all the trails in that area a lot.He live near there.
    Spot on. I totally agree on all points.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A few of the OTB guys rode it on 9/15. See the ride review here http://otbmbc.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1189909003/9#9
    www.corbamtb.com CORBA-Working for MTB Access in the L.A. area.
    www.otbmbc.com

mtbr member
    I'd be a "maybe" for a tues/weds morn. With someone who knows the trail or has GPS!

scott

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    My bad,totally forgot about the OTB guys.They are the reason I found out about that route in the first place.My buddy did that ride with them a few years ago and then he showed me.I kind of like the unmaintained aspect of Trail Canyon makes it a total adventure route.It totally is an all day ride.Condor Peak is the most greuling uphill I can think of.You get near the top and think its not soo bad then it gets a little steeper and loose that when you get to the hike a bike section your dead.The down is worth it.Im stoked to ride it now!Except not in good enough shape,lol.Time to gain back what I never had.

cask conditioned
    It's a good XC loop.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anybody been up there lately?

Anybody want to?

Sounds like a challenge...

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by M-80 Rider View Post
    Anybody been up there lately?

Anybody want to?

Sounds like a challenge...
    I think it's still in the "closed to usage" zone from the Station Fire.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

banned
    i haz ascared

mtbr member
    May 2011
    When an area is officially "closed," does it mean that the road is closed and you can't drive to the trailhead, or that the actual trail is closed?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just wondering how extensive the damage might be and how long it might take to repair...

Seems like just fixing a road would get priority over fixing a remote part of a trail.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by M-80 Rider View Post
    When an area is officially "closed," does it mean that the road is closed and you can't drive to the trailhead, or that the actual trail is closed?
    Until it opens (unless it already has???) the forest itself remains off limits. That means that you can't even park along the hwy. The hwy itself remains open only as a passage through the forest. I drove through there a few months back, after some of the front sections of the forest had reopened for use. All of the day use areas in Big Tujunga Cyn, such as Wildwood, were closed. No parking was allowed along the hwy and no use or entry into the forest was allowed. All trails were closed.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    This list of open trails is still current;

Angeles National Forest Trails to Open May 16, 2011

The Condor Peak and Trail Canyon trails are still closed, though many trails were opened back in May.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was a voluteer trail evaluator early this spring. Trail Canyon, Condor Peak, and parts of Falls Creek (Canyon?) Road were absolute crap. Gullies three feet deep, two or more feet of soft sand cascading down onto the trail and completely burying it, countless burned trees across the higher sections of the trails, avalanche gullies, etc., etc. It was some of the least enjoyable hiking I've ever done. Staying home and pulling out your toenails with a pair of pliers would be more fun than riding these trails.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well, that sucks!

Guess I'll cross this one off my list for now.

Thanks, all.