Thread: Condor Peak

mtbr member

Condor Peak

Considering doing Condor Peak Trail and Trail Canyon Trail this Sunday. I've not ridden these trails before and would like some information from those who have. How long does the loop take? Is it better to go clockwise (up Trail Canyon and over/down Condor Peak) or counterclockwise (up Condor Peak and down Trail Canyon)? Is it all rideable? Ron Bigelow recommends against riding Condor Peak, at least south of the peak itself, but I've seen accounts from others who say they've ridden it. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    I rode this area somewhat recently, within the last two months. I started out on the Trail Canyon Trail and rode to the falls. Nice ride but too many stream crossing that are unrideable. The problem with this trail is that I lost the trail just above the falls. It seems that last years storms did considerable damage. If one knows the area they might be able to find the trail, or if you spend some time looking around. I was in some shoes there were hard to walk on all the rocks.

I decided to ride back and try the trail to Fox Peak. According to Ron's site the trail from Fox Peak down to the Upper T is too narrow to ride. He rode the area before the trail was imporved. The trail from Upper Tujunga to Fox is very rideable but steep. If you drive on Upper T from either direction you will see a very small trailhead not too far from the dam. There is a sign preparing you for the traill about 500' on either side of the trailhead.

The trail climbs steeply to a saddle, less than a half mile from the trailhead. From there the trail is rolling for about 1 mile. Going this direction the trail heading up is pretty obvious but there is a junction. Not sure where this trail goes. After this point the trail climbs steeply on a very nice narrow single track all the way to Fox Peak. I think it is about 7 miles to the peak. Enjoy. This is a very cool trail that get little use as well as it should. This trail is not for the faint of heart or unfit.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

some info

The loop is generally done counterclockwise. I don't remember exact times, but expect 5 hours plus for the whole loop.
    Most of the route is rideable. There is a short hike-a-bike at the start if you begin at the shorter, older, vogel flat entrance. There is usually some hiking as you approach the shoulder of Condor, although it can be ridden if the trail is very tacky. Condor Peak itself is not on the trail and is not rideable. After the shoulder you drop and then climb a short ways to the Trail Canyon junction. Trail Canyon is almost all rideable, except for a few stream crossing.
    Keep in mind that I have not ridden the loop since last year's rains, so hopefully someone else can weigh in on whether these conditions still hold.