Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    52

    Commuting from Tustin to Anaheim

    From the golf course on Tustin Ranch Road, to the Lakeview exit off the 91 east in Anaheim Hills.

    I rode two different routes yesterday. On the way there, I took the default "no highways" route from google maps, and while it was a pretty/low traffic/not many stoplights route, it was WAY to hard for me. Tons of foothills, many of them between 6 and 12% grade. Maybe when I'm in a little better shape, I'll be all over it.

    On the way home, I took La Palma to Tustin Ave, to 17th, newport ave, and la colina. It was a MUCH easier route, but there was no bike lane all the way down Tustin Ave which is most of the ride. and I felt like the roads were crappy to the point that I was abusing my bike the whole ride.

    What I'm looking for are some bike friendly roads that can get me from A to B without too many steep hills, or too much sharing a lane with cars. Any ideas? Thanks guys/gals.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    60
    That is funny i live down Irvine from you (across the street from CT middle school) and I work of of the 91 and Raymond.

    Anyways i dont know the route it sugested but a good way to take is come down Irvine to Newport and right then turn left onto Foothill, next a right onto Hewes take that all the way till it ends which is Villa Park Road turn right the act quick and get over cause you want ot take the next left which is Cannon. This is the onyl climb of the ride, it is a climb but there is just now way around it, and then Cannon turns into Imperial. andways hopes this helps.

  3. #3
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,561
    Quote Originally Posted by JustBarno
    From the golf course on Tustin Ranch Road, to the Lakeview exit off the 91 east in Anaheim Hills.

    I rode two different routes yesterday. On the way there, I took the default "no highways" route from google maps, and while it was a pretty/low traffic/not many stoplights route, it was WAY to hard for me. Tons of foothills, many of them between 6 and 12% grade. Maybe when I'm in a little better shape, I'll be all over it.

    On the way home, I took La Palma to Tustin Ave, to 17th, newport ave, and la colina. It was a MUCH easier route, but there was no bike lane all the way down Tustin Ave which is most of the ride. and I felt like the roads were crappy to the point that I was abusing my bike the whole ride.

    What I'm looking for are some bike friendly roads that can get me from A to B without too many steep hills, or too much sharing a lane with cars. Any ideas? Thanks guys/gals.


    Try this:

    La Colina to Newport......
    Newport to Old Foothill......
    Old Foothill to Fairhaven......
    Fairhaven to Prospect......
    Prospect to Collins.....
    Collins to Wanda......
    Stay on Wanda until it turns into Santa Ana Canyon.....
    Turn onto Lakeview.


    Pretty flat and not a ton of traffic.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by OSKIN100
    That is funny i live down Irvine from you (across the street from CT middle school) and I work of of the 91 and Raymond.

    Anyways i dont know the route it sugested but a good way to take is come down Irvine to Newport and right then turn left onto Foothill, next a right onto Hewes take that all the way till it ends which is Villa Park Road turn right the act quick and get over cause you want ot take the next left which is Cannon. This is the onyl climb of the ride, it is a climb but there is just now way around it, and then Cannon turns into Imperial. andways hopes this helps.
    That hill on Cannon is one of the ones that I took on the way there. Brutal! and super fast on the way down the other side, too fast for me yet. My road bike is built for someone with a bit more skill than me so I have to be on the brakes that whole way down or risk dying. Might not be as bad if I wasn't already so beat from the hills on Jamboree and on Chapman on my way to Cannon. I think this will be my route 15 pounds from now, but in the mean time i'd like to avoid death

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    Try this:

    La Colina to Newport......
    Newport to Old Foothill......
    Old Foothill to Fairhaven......
    Fairhaven to Prospect......
    Prospect to Collins.....
    Collins to Wanda......
    Stay on Wanda until it turns into Santa Ana Canyon.....
    Turn onto Lakeview.


    Pretty flat and not a ton of traffic.
    I'll give that one a try for sure. Thanks! Now do you know of any public showers near lakeview so that I don't smell all day at work? I was just picking something up yesterday which is why I tried it for the first time. Changing / working all day without a shower would be rough, and is the only thing holding me back from riding to work more often.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    115
    yea, mtnbikej had a good path. I ride from orange to hacienda heights when I commute, and Wanda is way better than tustin. It may add miles but if you did not want to ride santa ana canyon you could get on tustin at nohl ranch (from Wanda) and take the river bed up as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •