Keep the Zen
    Jan 2005

Cold springs,s.b. trail cond, directions help

Going to Cold Springs next week, anyone want to be a tour guide or Anyone have the latest trail conditions for cold springs and directions for the route?
    Which way do I go when I get to the top of Romero at ciello and how do I identify the Cold Springs Trail? I really need directions back to the car at Romero.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Tom the bomb; 01-31-2010 at 02:03 PM.
    Keep the Zen

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Can't help with trail conditions, but can tell you that you go left on Camino Ciello when you get to the top of Romero. The turn off is farther along the road than I usually remember it should be! It's the second trail on the left you can take down, but it's not marked very well. There is a little parking area, and I think you can see the trail sign from the road, but maybe not. You'll have to keep you eyes open - but you should find it!

Have a great ride! I love that trail...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the bomb
    Going to Cold Springs Sunday 8:30 a.m., anyone want to be a tour guide or Anyone have the latest trail conditions for cold springs and directions for the route?
    Which way do I go when I get to the top of Romero at ciello and how do I identify the Cold Springs Trail?
    Thanks

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Not sure of the trail conditions either but, when you get to the road (E. Camino Cielo), go LEFT (right will take you further into the backcountry). You'll do a little bit of climbing on the road, and you'll cross a saddle that connects over to where the San Ysidro trailhead is. Past the SY trailhead about another 1.5 miles, the Cold Springs trailhead is right there. The trailhead is marked with a sign.

There are lots of other trail users (especially on a nice Sunday morning) so please don't try and set any speed records. And hopefully, if you don't already have a bell already, there will be bells in a little mailbox looking thing at the top. Please use one. The other trail users will appreciated.

Have fun. Wish I could join you.

Equal opportunity meanie
    1.5 miles? More like 1/4 mile between the trailheads, if that. Cold Springs has a water tower by it. San Ysidro does not.

Pay more attention to the route getting back to Romero along the bottom. That's far more complicated than just going across the top as there are a bunch of forks and one big climb getting back up towards Romero at the bottom.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough

There are lots of other trail users (especially on a nice Sunday morning) so please don't try and set any speed records. And hopefully, if you don't already have a bell already, there will be bells in a little mailbox looking thing at the top. Please use one. The other trail users will appreciated.
    Well said.

Keep the Zen
    Jan 2005

directions

Thanks guys but still need to get back to the car.....
    Keep the Zen

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the bomb
    Thanks guys but still need to get back to the car.....
    In general, bear left at intersections until you can't. Mountain, Park, 192, Romero. There is a shorter way but it involves going through a gate on a street labeled private.
    Romani ite domum