mtbr member
    May 2009

Coachella Tent Through the Haze

I took a few pictures at the top of my morning ride on the Boo Hoff Trail in La Quinta,CA. The first picture is a little hazy, but the white dots in the dead center of the picture are the Coachella Tents. I could hear the sound check at about 9:30am when I took these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coachella Tent Through the Haze-coachella-tents-through-haze.jpg  

Coachella Tent Through the Haze-dont-hit-sheep.jpg  

King of Middle Earth
    Nice! How is that trail, can you describe it?
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Nice! How is that trail, can you describe it?
    The trailhead starts at 250 feet above sea level and it gets up to just under 2000 feet of elevation at the top. I think the out and back is about 8-10 miles (I don't run a GPS). I do an out to the top and back, but you can do a full loop that includes about nine miles back on the road around PGA West. The La Quinta Cove side of the trail is a little steeper and more fun. The Coral Mountain side of the trail that ends at Lake Cahuilla is supposed to be illegal to ride. The Coral Mountain side of the trail is more buffed, but it ends with a long sand wash (not much fun).

The bottom half of the La Quinta Cove side of the trail that is my usual route is mostly low mid-ring and it has a couple of sand washes. It also has a couple of different forks at the bottom to change things up. You gain over a thousand feet of elevation in the last few miles to the top with about 20 fairly loose switchbacks. You will need a very low gear for the top. Almost all riders turn back at the start of the switchbacks (at only 1200 feet of elevation).

The top half has a lot of jagged rock that eats tires as fast as any trail that I have ridden in the Southwest. Most recreational riders get terrified because a few of the loose switchbacks hang over steep ravines. Experienced technical climbers won't find the Boo Hoff very intimidating, but the steepness of the switchbacks scares most riders off. You can see the trail pretty well on the free version of Google Earth.

mtbr member
    Hey. I like those Turner stickers on the downtube. You get those made up here in the dez?
    Ride it like you stole it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Search out Jay Carpenter on the Turner Forum. There is a megathread on his stickers. Just tell him what you want. Lance had a custom set made for his wife's Turner. The red, white, and blue ones that I have are ones that Jay had already designed. I think they were $36 bucks for the Flux Toptube and Turner Downtube stickers shipped from back East. They are real solid and thick, but you have to be careful not to wipe too hard around the edges.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    I took a few pictures at the top of my morning ride on the Boo Hoff Trail in La Quinta,CA. The first picture is a little hazy, but the white dots in the dead center of the picture are the Coachella Tents. I could hear the sound check at about 9:30am when I took these.
    I wonder what the "haze" was coming from Coachella?
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    I wonder what the "haze" was coming from Coachella?
    Actually, it was just the beginning of a nasty sand storm caused by 50,000 fans attempting to take bong hits at the same time. Kinda like the water problems caused by toilets flushing during commercials on Super Bowl Sunday.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Coachella Tent Through the Haze

Hey good to know most everyone there is high

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2