Canadian Invasion

Idea! Closest Dirt to Downtown LA

Hey guys,

I just moved downtown LA from Venice beach. I used to ride Suilvan canyon and the Whoops (Kenter) all the time, and made the odd journey out to Piuma/Stunt.

I've been DTLA for about two months now, and my bike is getting very restless.

Can anyone from the area tell me a good spot to get out to some sort of mountains and sweat/get dirty?

A nice loop would be perfect. I miss Sullivan for that respect...but I'm sure there is something close by...like Pasadena area? I dunno.

Please Help.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The closest dirt is at Griffith Park/Elysian Park.........Unfortunately, bikes are forbidden on the best trails.... ride at your own risk......

The next closest trails would be in Pasadena, but currently some of the trails are closed because of the fire we had last year...

For more info go here:

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,1.260681&z=10

official eMpTyBRain
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    I used to ride Sullivan every week. so sad that it will be doozed over again into a dirt supser highway.

I now have a couple of other favorite rides but I have to drive a little farther..

Very close to downtown is Turnbull Canyon in Monterey Park. there are three loops. I forgot where the trail heads were. its been a while. its really green and canopied in places, tight switch backs and climbs are challengiing. Its very close to down town.

Canadian Invasion
    Thanks for the info! Nagathahawk, I feel you on that. I almost cried the first time it was doozed. Used to be such an awesome little trail.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ambassador thanks for sharing about the geoladders site. Nicer than other sites I've come across for finding info on trails in so cal.