mtbr member
    Mar 2005

closeouts on last years?

Hey I'm in Orange and looking to get into the sport. I think I've narrowed it down to a few bikes. Gary Fisher Tassajara, specialized hardrock and maybe a trek 8300... The model number may not be right on the trek. Anyhow, does anyone know where I can get a good deal on some of these? I don't mind traveling to LA, or San Bernardino or even SD. Any help is appreciated. Even suggest a few more bikes for me to try out. The more tested the better right?

Thanks

widebody
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrath0087
    Hey I'm in Orange and looking to get into the sport. I think I've narrowed it down to a few bikes. Gary Fisher Tassajara, specialized hardrock and maybe a trek 8300... The model number may not be right on the trek. Anyhow, does anyone know where I can get a good deal on some of these? I don't mind traveling to LA, or San Bernardino or even SD. Any help is appreciated. Even suggest a few more bikes for me to try out. The more tested the better right?

Thanks
    My two cents, buying the bike is the easy part, finding a shop to take care of you after the sale is another story....watch out for the BIG stores. Find a local shop who makes you feel welcome. Your going to need parts(helmet,gloves,etc ) and service after you take the bike home.. My personal favorite is the PATH in Tustin. They always take care of my service needs earlier than promised and put up with my weekly browsing and questions. I'm going to miss them as I am moving to Seattle next month. My going away present to myself will be a funky new singlespeed for them to build up....Once my home sells. I would also check out Switchback Cyclery in Orange, I've only browsed there but have heard good things about them. Good luck, enjoy all the awesome trails SoCal/OC has to offer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

decent trails?

Can you recommend some decent trails? I've been hiking in the ladera ranch areas, and thought that irvine park in orange may be decent. any thoughts?

Over the Hill

stay thirsty, my friends
    Check out the socal LBS review sticky here: SoCal LBS Reviews
    If you ever wanna ride with someone or invite: http://socaltrailriders.org/

Also do a search on here on any bikes you are considering and narrow the search down to the 'what bike to buy' forum. You'll get plenty of information that way.

O ya . . .and make sure you're ready for an addiction because that's what you're gonna get once you start mtb'ing
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

mtbr member

More trail guides

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrath0087
    Can you recommend some decent trails? I've been hiking in the ladera ranch areas, and thought that irvine park in orange may be decent. any thoughts?
    Here are a few links to site with info on OC trails.

http://www.bikingdestinations.com/
    http://www.biketrails.com/
    http://www.ronbigelow.com/Regions/orange_county.htm

If you're in Orange, Peter's Canyon is a good beginner's park. Santiago Oaks is right nearby too, as are some trails that go around Irvine Park.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

the Path rocks

That's a good shop that is very service oriented. I agree with SSUMO. They'll take care of you.

SSUMO - have we ever met? I'm sure I've seen you around the shop. Goodluck in Seattle. I'm sure your new SingleSpeed will save you tons of drivetrain headaches up in the Pacific NorthWet.

Pho'dUp.

widebody
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pho'dUp
    That's a good shop that is very service oriented. I agree with SSUMO. They'll take care of you.

SSUMO - have we ever met? I'm sure I've seen you around the shop. Goodluck in Seattle. I'm sure your new SingleSpeed will save you tons of drivetrain headaches up in the Pacific NorthWet.

Pho'dUp.
    Yeah, I think we rode together at last years Bikes & Beer Ride. You were riding a Kikapu I believe? I was on the SS kona Explosif. I Love the PATH, will surely miss them all.....Maybe they can do a PATH Pacific Northwest....listening Tani/Karl?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for all the advice. I will have to check out the path in Tustin. Do they sell Gary fisher? Specialized? Are they pretty competitive with prices?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Brands at the Path

I know they're dealers of Kona, Jamis, Rocky Mountain, Bianchi, KHS, and a bunch of frame makers like Gunnar, Seven, Intense, Ellsworth etc..

I'd steer clear of the Hardrock unless you're a big guy. Seems a little over kill for most XC riding. For something comparable to the Tassajara/Trek 8300 that's a 2004 Closeout I'd ask about the Kona Caldera or the Jamis Exile (for steel) or the Bianchi Denali (also steel). Personally, I think Kona has a nice geometry with a good standover. Maybe even an '04 Kona Kikapu if you want a good entry level Full suspension bike.

Goodluck on your Bike hunt.

Pho'dUp.