Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005

Cleveland National Forest Closed

FYI about our local National Forest:

The Cleveland National Forest was closed today because of the federal government shutdown, and that is impacting campgrounds and picnic areas just west of Lake Elsinore and Wildomar.

The forest, along with Joshua Tree and Death Valley parks, were among the local national outdoor attractions that closed Oct. 1 due to the government shutdown sparked by a dispute over ObamaCare.

"Due to the lapse in federal government funding, the U.S. Forest Service, as with other federal agencies, is closed with the exception of certain essential services. However, we will attempt to make timely updates about public health and safety on these web pages as appropriate. We sincerely regret this inconvenience," an announcement from the U.S. Forest Service read today.

The following Cleveland National Forest services will be closed:

Trabuco Ranger District (Orange County)

• Blue Jay Campground
    • California Wildland Firefighter Memorial
    • El Cariso Campground
    • El Cariso South Picnic Area
    • Falcon Campground
    • Wildomar Campground
    • Wildomar Staging Area
    These additional locations will remain open, but will have restrooms and/or water wells closed:
    • San Juan Loop Trailhead

• Hot Springs Trailhead
    • Tenaja Trailhead

Palomar Ranger District (San Diego County)
    • Observatory Campground
    • Fry Creek Campground
    • Crestline Campground
    • Oak Grove Campground
    • Dripping Springs Campground
    • Indian Flats Campground
    • San Luis Rey Picnic Area
    • Inaja Picnic Area
    • San Diego River Gorge Trailhead
    • Kika Mik Overlook
    • Dripping Springs Trailhead

Descanso Ranger District (San Diego County)
    • All developed recreation sites will be closed due to furlough.
    • No facilities or recreation amenities will be provided during this time.
    • All of the Corral Canyon OHV area will be closed.
    It wasn't me

No known cure
    Very cool. I don't have to pay to park at my after work ride spot.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wow. My Forest Adventure Pass won't be no good in the Lagunas!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Wow. My Forest Adventure Pass won't be no good in the Lagunas!
    Two negatives don't a positve make, everybody knows that!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    All shut down in Malibu too. Awesome to have empty trails.
    Ironic that the only time I've seen rangers near the trails in 15 years is when they're "shut down" and getting furloughed.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bokdoos View Post
    All shut down in Malibu too. Awesome to have empty trails.
    Ironic that the only time I've seen rangers near the trails in 15 years is when they're "shut down" and getting furloughed.
    Ironic, isn't it

mtbr member
    What will happen if they find out that life will go on and we don't need about 50% of the workers? Most of the closing is just trying to make some statement
    San Diego needs singletrack

Warrior's Society
    So based in the OP's list.....really means nothing.

Campgrounds closed this time of year generally aren't all that crowded anyway. Plus the areas they closed probably don't see a ton of traffic anyway.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    I dare the feds, or whoever, to keep me off the trails.
    Last edited by MTP; 10-04-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    If not biking, then what?

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I wonder if the Poker ride is still on for Sunday? Air show is cancelled. Thanks alot congress for screwing all those vendors who already purchased products to sell there out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Thanks for hitting our economy when it is at its most vulnerable. I can not think of one single incumbent, republican or democrat that deserves to keep their job.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Cuyamaca is a State Park, not NP, so it should be on.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Malibu riding areas are state parks and they're shut down......

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I just confirmed, Poker ride is still on. I called the rangers office.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    I dare the feds, or whoever, to keep me off the trails.

Oh, and Obama is a complete a__ hole for trying to shut out WWII vets from the D.C. memorial. The memorial is open on the sidewalk and they tried to barricade it!

A__hole Obama.
    way off topic there - and nice way to deflect from the REAL reason they got closed- a select few trying to stop a bill that was ALREADY PASSED...rant over

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nightops View Post
    way off topic there - and nice way to deflect from the REAL reason they got closed- a select few trying to stop a bill that was ALREADY PASSED...rant over
    Yeah, that explains shutting out the WWI vets.

Enjoy your free healthcare.

mtbr member

Closing the parks is what happens when you can't pay employees to be there. it is a standard procedure. To say that Obama went out of his way to deny the vets an opportunity to see the monuments because he doesn't like them is beyond delusional. And there's nothing 'free' about the healthcare if you are above poverty line - but keep believing what you want to believe in your hatred of Obama...

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Closing the parks is what happens when you can't pay employees to be there. it is a standard procedure. To say that Obama went out of his way to deny the vets an opportunity to see the monuments because he doesn't like them is beyond delusional. And there's nothing 'free' about the healthcare if you are above poverty line - but keep believing what you want to believe in your hatred of Obama...
    Dude, you obviously haven't been to the WWII Memorial. It's out in the open, on the sidewalk. No "employees" ever guard it. It's just there. Well, except now since they put up yellow tape and now pay some idiots to stand watch over it.

I couldn't care less about Obama and his worshippers, but I do care that he's selecting very visible and irrelevant things to "close" just to STICK it to the citizens during this phony, extremely limited "shut down" of the bloated government. It's bull__. You seriously can't believe otherwise. And if you do, I have a lot of crappy bike parts I can sell to you for inflated prices.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So Obama can put up fences around the WWII memorial, but the Mexican border will not get a fence?

Wake up. It's all about votes. Shutting down the WWII memorial is a symbolic act by Obama's minions as an attempt to piss you off, so that you'll blame the other party. Not putting a fence on the border is an attempt to secure more votes from undocumented Democrats.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The new buzz phrase is "unauthorized Immigrants"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It's just like budget fights in CA. Every time they can't agree on a budget they threaten to take away the few services we actually like such as parks! They never threaten us that they'll give themselves pay cuts or bomb one less country. Those are essential services I guess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Threads like this one remind why I usually ride alone....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Yep, those WW1 vets are a feisty group alright. After paying, as a self-employed taxpayer, over 1600 bucks a month for minimal, high-deductible policies for 2 people, I can tell you one way for sure they are "redistributing the wealth". I'm looking forward to the possibility of some relief from this relentless parasitic industry.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    So Obama can put up fences around the WWII memorial, but the Mexican border will not get a fence?

Wake up. It's all about votes. Shutting down the WWII memorial is a symbolic act by Obama's minions as an attempt to piss you off, so that you'll blame the other party. Not putting a fence on the border is an attempt to secure more votes from undocumented Democrats.
    Exactly! Good to know there are sober, alert, informed folks like you out there.

This morning it's reported they're strengthening the barricade around the memorial. The memorial itself was built with private funds!! Also, the national parks belong to us, the citizens--not the government.

When are people going to wake up and realize this government is out of control, over-sized, and doesn't give a damn about us, the tax-paying serfs??? I love this so-called "shut down." The longer it goes on, the more we will all realize we don't need nearly as much government as we thought.

In the meantime, ride on any public land you damn please.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Ride it all, NOW! Here's more info for all you who worship Emperor Obama:

The Park Service appears to be closing streets on mere whim and caprice. The rangers even closed the parking lot at Mount Vernon, where the plantation home of George Washington is a favorite tourist destination. That was after they barred the new World War II Memorial on the Mall to veterans of World War II. But the government does not own Mount Vernon; it is privately owned by the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association. The ladies bought it years ago to preserve it as a national memorial. The feds closed access to the parking lots this week, even though the lots are jointly owned with the Mount Vernon ladies. The rangers are from the government, and they’re only here to help.

“It’s a cheap way to deal with the situation,” an angry Park Service ranger in Washington says of the harassment. “We’ve been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It’s disgusting.”

--Washington Times (10/3/13)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Yep, those WW1 vets are a feisty group alright. After paying, as a self-employed taxpayer, over 1600 bucks a month for minimal, high-deductible policies for 2 people, I can tell you one way for sure they are "redistributing the wealth". I'm looking forward to the possibility of some relief from this relentless parasitic industry.
    so you agree with the Obamacare plan? i couldn't get a sense from the other post. Although not perfect, it will lower many peoples premiums here and bring young people into the system who wouldn't ordinarily be able to afford it. Premiums like you mention are the reason many dont get it and it puts a burden on emergency care.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast