Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Negative Rep Points!!!!

Cleanup on Aisle 4

Preaching to the Choir, I know........

Somewhat disheartening to see the damage inflicted by some careless, selfish, inconsiderate, and ignorant boneheads from last weekend.

It rained steadily on sunday and it looks like a whole cavalry of riders laid waste to the place.

So, it's only fireroad you say.

Not exactly. As I was climbing, I could not help it, but cringe at what the trail might look like once I finally got on it. And, sure enough....the trail proper, also got worked. The fireroad? Big deal...but, I could tell by the amount of damage where these A-holes were headed.

These tracks have already hardened up and if we don't get any more rain this winter...it'll probably look this way for a good long while.

Here's the thing.....there's a handful of us that put in quite a bit of shovel time...and it's just a huge downer to see what a few chuckle heads with a disproportionate sense of entitlement, can do in just one day.

Unlikely that anyone reading this thread would pull this crap. But, if you were riding in east county, last sunday, in the rain...YOU SUCK!

In the immortal words of Pete Townshend..."Why should I care...Why should I care?"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 8.JPG (128.4 KB, 845 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.JPG (166.6 KB, 819 views)
    • File Type: jpg 15.JPG (182.1 KB, 839 views)
    • File Type: jpg 16.JPG (193.0 KB, 835 views)
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 02-28-2008 at 08:46 AM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Eh, most likely someone will come through with a bulldozer and cover up all the damage.

Trying a little
    honestly, I don't get it. This is nothing worth writing about, if the pics are typical of the damage. Who cares, that's sand.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Time flies...
    yeah, I saw trucks parked under the bridge Sunday as I went by, and it rained out here all day long. All I could think was "...geezzzz.."...

* it still surprises me how many still don't get it. I'm just disappointed that so many just don't care...
    That's been the problem at this spot for many, many years...
    ...every day sends future to past...

involuntary dismounter
    saw the same thing here in Tucson last weekend...didn't have a camera...

it rains about 6 days out of the year here...and the ground is CLAY...and it takes about 4 minutes for the trails to dry when the sun comes out...

and yet i was riding through HUGE RUTS!!!

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE????

whew...ok...end of rant...
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    honestly, I don't get it. This is nothing worth writing about, if the pics are typical of the damage. Who cares, that's sand.
    what's not to get? this is like MTB 101. maybe you like railing thorugh choppy ruts?

1,200 posts and you don't get it? why don't you buy a clue and re-learn the basics of mountain biking and taking care of a trail.

#3 on the IMBA Responsible Riding Tips -
    Say No To Mud - Riding a muddy trail can cause unnecessary trail widening and erosion that may lead to long-lasting damage.
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Who cares, that's sand.
    except where it's not, which is most everywhere.

the only place in southern California that has truly sandy trails is the area between the Pacific Ocean and The Pacific coast Highway. Everywhere else has a whole lot of clay............

YR

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I remember seeing this post on STR: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...san-diego.html

You have to read through the thread a little to get to the part where a group starts to organize a ride on ATT. I was a little surprised to see folks organizing a ride on ATT in the rain on a public forum, but obviously not everyone shares the same values concerning riding trails in the rain/mud. It was 100% clear it was going to rain Sunday as it had already started Saturday night when the posts were still happening.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos
    I remember seeing this post on STR: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...san-diego.html

You have to read through the thread a little to get to the part where a group starts to organize a ride on ATT. I was a little surprised to see folks organizing a ride on ATT in the rain on a public forum, but obviously not everyone shares the same values concerning riding trails in the rain/mud. It was 100% clear it was going to rain Sunday as it had already started Saturday night when the posts were still happening.

K:

Thank you for finding that link.

I know those guys and I'll just say this(to them). You guys are experienced and well respected riders in the local MTB community. That said, you guys know better.

Just a suggestion...the next time it's raining as much as it did last sunday, stay on your own local trails(south Bay) and EFF them up.

Someone who frequents STR, would you please link this thread?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I had a killer ride out to the ATT. Don Juan is having a hard time with post ride cramping. seems his new G37 6 speed might be taxing his leg".
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 02-28-2008 at 09:10 AM.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Well, at least the equestrians stayed away!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i was *going* to go with that group, but i never did make it out last weekend. I'm guilty of riding ATT in the rain and post rain in the past. in fact, i've seen aqua out there shovel in hand building stuff during those conditions and stopped to chat. you didn't seem upset by me riding there so i was surprised to see this thread. i've always regarded anderson as one of those places people agree can be ridden in the rain much of that opinion has came from reading countless threads about places you can ride in the rain in the sd area.

to be honest, those pics don't really look to bad. i can understand the issue of a trail widening because of people riding around a puddle, but i always am a bit baffled by tread imprints left in dirt being a big problem. but, judging from what aqua said in his post and as well as he knows that place, i guess i have to change my outlook on riding there when it's wet.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by danlorek
    i was *going* to go with that group, but i never did make it out last weekend. I'm guilty of riding ATT in the rain and post rain in the past. in fact, i've seen aqua out there shovel in hand building stuff during those conditions and stopped to chat. you didn't seem upset by me riding there so i was surprised to see this thread. i've always regarded anderson as one of those places people agree can be ridden in the rain much of that opinion has came from reading countless threads about places you can ride in the rain in the sd area.

to be honest, those pics don't really look to bad. i can understand the issue of a trail widening because of people riding around a puddle, but i always am a bit baffled by tread imprints left in dirt being a big problem. but, judging from what aqua said in his post and as well as he knows that place, i guess i have to change my outlook on riding there when it's wet.

Dan:

What's up? Hey man, thanks for chiming in.

I think it comes down to common sense ( of which is not so common any longer). Locally, most people know which trails hold up well after a rain. When it's raining that much and for that duration, as it did last sunday, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know better and to stay off.

A lot of ATT is comprised of decomposed granite and holds up exceedingly well (even while raining). But, when you start approaching the 4 corners area the soil composition turns to clay based. If a substantial amount of rain has fallen, that area quickly turns into a greasy, slimy mess. I would recommend going no further than "Rest Rock" and then 180' ing it if conditions are dicey.

If you'll recall, I did not have my bike with me that rainy day. Often times if it's raining, I will hike in with my shovel and do work/repairs.

Last sunday, I also wanted to ride. I woke up and saw how much rain was coming down and the forecast called for continued rain throughout the day. So, instead I rode the couch.

Those pictures may not convey the scope of what I saw...But, you know how pics often don't translate well. Of all the years I've ridden there, I haven't seen this much of a mess, made post rain.

It was a weak act to be riding in those conditions.
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 02-28-2008 at 01:00 PM.

i can't type the letter s
    Yea, I got ya Aqua. DL, I'm in agreement with Aqua on this one too. You can ride up to "pistachio point" (ya like that?) real soon after a rain but to try and rail the top right after or during a rain is not a considerate or smart move.

Let's hope this is not the end of the rain for the year so at least the ruts can be erased and start anew.

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    what's not to get? this is like MTB 101. maybe you like railing thorugh choppy ruts?

1,200 posts and you don't get it? why don't you buy a clue and re-learn the basics of mountain biking and taking care of a trail..
    Seriously, can't you read? The pics showed a huge, graded wide fireroad and a deep sandy corner. If you want to see trail destruction come up to ventura county. They really mess things up here.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    That stinks. I hate those crusty ruts. I haven't ridden dirt for about the last 4-5 weekends. I finally rode my local little Black Mtn. this morning, which is virtually all rock. It's amazing how squishy the mountain bike feels after riding nothing but a road bike for weeks... Love it!

ridin' Mary
    Aqua,

Were the pictures you posted actually fire roads or are these groomed trails that have grown? They look like fire roads to me. So that puts me in the "don't care" category. Gigantic big-arse bulldozers grade these every year or two. A few bike tire marks are not going to make any difference.

The second picture you post shows deep drainage ruts indicating this has not been graded in a while, and there are a bunch of little bike induced ruts on the surface of the fire road around these deep ruts. If I'm riding along that trail, my eyes are gonna be on that big problem on the left and not the little problems on the right.

I'm all for saving single track since that is truly rare in Socal. But count me out of any new "save the fire roads" campaign. Fire roads are general access for everyone at all times.

This is a general-usage world, and there are way too many elitists trying to make everything match to their particular viewpoint. Equestrians want the entire world for horses. MTB purists want the entire world for single-track rides. Downies want the entire world to be a jump range with tricks at every corner. Tree-huggers want foot traffic only everywhere. There can and should be places for all of these activities. But the fire roads are general public and should not be subject of your specific preservation desires.

I'm like you and like to take a light tread on the world (try to do no harm). But let's let fire roads be fire roads.

cask conditioned
    Seriously, can't you read? The pics showed a huge, graded wide fireroad and a deep sandy corner.
    Again.. that ain't sand. They're cement hard deep wheel ruts. I don't live down there but I can feel for those that have to ride that now.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    You should see the massive damage to the mesa area at Sycamore Canyon (SD)...what was 8 to 10 inches wide is now 10 - 15 feet wide.

All because some riders don't want to muddy their "sweet" rides.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    the only place in southern California that has truly sandy trails is the area between the Pacific Ocean and The Pacific coast Highway. Everywhere else has a whole lot of clay............YR
    The San Gabes?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    This topic has been touched on time and time again over the years. But it never fails there is always a group of morons that hit the trails during and right after a rain storm. Some of you look at Aqua as he is stating something not worth talking about. But in actualality this is IMO one of the most important topics to discuss here. These morans that have this "who cares" attitude are the ones who are going to be responsible for getting all our beloved trails shut down to MTBRS. Someone stated that at least the equestrians stayed away. No shi@ this is one of the reasons the equestrians and hikers hate us MTBRS. Because there is a select group of idiots in our sport that have that "who cares"attitude. And this attitude seems to be getting more and more frequent as the years go by." Watch out it's my trail move aside". We all need to get a clue and turn this trend around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    "Am I a mountain biker?" I determined that I was a "Plains Biker" since there are no mountains here where I live now.

mtbr member
    Thats nothing just wait till California breaks off from mainland US and becomes its own island. All the trails are going to be wrecked then.
    I got 2 words for that, Nice!

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by OhNooo
    Aqua,
    Were the pictures you posted actually fire roads or are these groomed trails that have grown?

I'm all for saving single track since that is truly rare in Socal. But count me out of any new "save the fire roads" campaign. Fire roads are general access for everyone at all times.

Read Aqua's words closely everybody:
    "And, sure enough....the trail proper, also got worked. The fireroad? Big deal..."

I'll alert you to context here. Aqua also doesn't care too much about fireroad, "Big deal", as in "I don't really care", but he was worried the "trail proper" was also worked which it turns out, his fears were justified. I'm sure he was too torqued as he went down to take more pics of the damage of "trail proper."

Look, I think Aqua complains too much about a lot of things that I don't really care about, like cracks in his frames, it's not my frame so why should I care? , but in this case I guess I'll have to defend the guy.

ridin' Mary
    Hi Dirtjunkie,

I agree with every word you wrote, because you used the word "Trails". I have no dispute in that context.

But those pictures do not look like trails to me. If Aqua chimes in and states that these were formerly trails that have become bloated due to abuse, then again, I again agree. But if this is a county fire road that has recieved a few ruts, then I have to disagree with your comments in this context. Let fire roads be fire roads. Everyone in the pool!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by OhNooo
    Hi Dirtjunkie,

I agree with every word you wrote, because you used the word "Trails". I have no dispute in that context.

But those pictures do not look like trails to me. If Aqua chimes in and states that these were formerly trails that have become bloated due to abuse, then again, I again agree. But if this is a county fire road that has recieved a few ruts, then I have to disagree with your comments in this context. Let fire roads be fire roads. Everyone in the pool!
    You have to ride this fire road to get to the ST trails. So in essence you are messing up both while still wet. What do you think the other trail users think when they see bicycle tire markes molded into the trail and or fire road. They get pissed and turn against our sport. Even riding a fire road while wet is irresponsible and gives MTBRS a bad name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    "Am I a mountain biker?" I determined that I was a "Plains Biker" since there are no mountains here where I live now.

Bike Geek
    I think the subtext on some of these discussions that have been popping up lately in the SoCal forum this winter is that we're spoiled by great weather most of the year and that this winter has been wetter than the last couple of years and storms have been hitting on the weekends. Of course we're all itching to get out and ride and the temptation is great to hit up the trail soon after a storm or try to get in some riding and hope the forecast proves wrong.

People need to take a step back and ask "Does my personal recreation/enjoyment of these trails take precedence over the potential damage to: the trail itself, the image of mountain bikers in general, the relationships MTBers have to build and work to maintain with land managers?"

Some people feel entitled to ride whenever they want. Discussions like this help educate them that there are repercussions beyond cleaning mud off your bike at the end of a ride.

PS. There are tons of great trail work opportunities for anyone feeling guilty or who enjoys getting out there and giving a little something back to the community. The weather's set up great conditions and SDMBA has a bunch of events lined up in the next few weeks. Hopefully we can all get out there and do some work.

ridin' Mary
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    Read Aqua's words closely everybody:
    "And, sure enough....the trail proper, also got worked. The fireroad? Big deal..."

I'll alert you to context here. Aqua also doesn't care too much about fireroad, "Big deal", as in "I don't really care", but he was worried the "trail proper" was also worked which it turns out, his fears were justified. I'm sure he was too torqued as he went down to take more pics of the damage of "trail proper."
    Since I'm using a classic SNL avatar, I guess I should also provide a classic SNL reply..... "Oh... that's perfectly all right then... NEVERMIND!" <Rosanne Rosannadanna>

Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    Look, I think Aqua complains too much about a lot of things that I don't really care about, like cracks in his frames, it's not my frame so why should I care? , but in this case I guess I'll have to defend the guy.
    I've met Aqua on a few rides, and I have no beef with him. I sure wish I could ride like him! I guess I still have beefs with the few on this forum that think every fire road needs government protection as soon as it sprinkles. I just didn't get the context right from that first message.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Those trails are public land. People can ride them whenever they want. They pay taxes too. It may be a bummer for you but that is a matter of opinion. Land of the free. That being said, feel FREE to keep ranting, they will feel FREE to keep riding, rain or shine.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

due to responses such as this

Quote Originally Posted by desert kid
    Those trails are public land. People can ride them whenever they want. They pay taxes too. It may be a bummer for you but that is a matter of opinion. Land of the free. That being said, feel FREE to keep ranting, they will feel FREE to keep riding, rain or shine.
    Due to these type of responses, the only thing I can say is that when you see a post organizing a ride and it says something like "we will be in the white van"

Well ****, nothing says "yes, we love you" like a boulder through the windshield.

I kid, I kid (cough)

Equal opportunity meanie
    The rain/tire damage is about the most technical feature in those pictures. Please don't tell me that it's now a challenge to ride it or something. Trails change all the time, with or without people riding them.

Time flies...
    fyi- I'm pretty sure most these particular 'fire roads' haven't seen a blade in many, many years. That 'fireroad' was officially closed when an engine went over the side and killed a few firefighters way back in..??? [iirc]
    And as far as this trail being open to the public, that's a thin line...

I used to enjoy parking near the (old) trailhead years ago and hiking down there with my kids when they were little. Then a bunch of the "who cares?" crowd starting parking wherever they wanted - blocking the road, resident's driveways, etc. and leaving trash all over...well why not...who cares?

I know the 'who cares' will continue to just laugh at this, so I'm just writing for the rest of us. But that's ok...I believe in karma....
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop

I know the 'who cares' will continue to just laugh at this, so I'm just writing for the rest of us. But that's ok...I believe in karma....
    Unfortunately it's the 'who cares' who give the negative stereotype validation and ultimately get more trails closed. The people who can't see beyond their own attitude, like this gem.

nothing witty here...

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Sometimes, I like to expediate the karma process!
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member

What about the Cuyamacas?

The damage at Sycamore is a shame. I won't ride there for a couple of weeks until that has dried out.

A friend of mine was proposing we head up to the Cuyamacas (Grand Loop) this weekend. I suspect we need to give the trails more time, especially the "new" single track and Middle Peak portions. Based on the recent level of rain, how long do you recommend we should wait before heading up?

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

ahhhhhhhhhhh jeeeeezzz

Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    The rain/tire damage is about the most technical feature in those pictures. Please don't tell me that it's now a challenge to ride it or something. Trails change all the time, with or without people riding them.
    Save it nancy. You may think you are the most "technically advanced" rider out there,honeslty though well, I thnk that I have said enough.

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Not quite, desert infant. The top half is on marked reservation land. While we have not been hassled about the trespassing at the top of ATT, it is trespassing.

This land is not public nor do our taxes go there. That is the reason casinos exist in California. Surely they taught you about these things in school. Or you can learn them when you get to the 8th grade......

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have never been to this trail but I am assuming that it is a public trail and people are, for the most part, free to ride whenever they like. Correct me if I am wrong. Yes, people can go ride there when it's sunny, when it's cloudy, after it has rained and even while it's raining. I'm sure that there is nothing that I can legally do about it.

BUT!! Have you ever heard of "tragedy of the commons"? Your response to this entire scenario is exactly what could eventually be the demise of this trail. Basically the trail is a 'somewhat' limited common resource that everyone is free to use as much as they want and never have to pay anything to ride. I say 'somewhat' because it's not like if everyone rides the trail while it's muddy the trail will explode, just a much lesser version of itself. If everyone rides the trail when it is vulnerable it will be ruined. But nobody is really willing to do anything about it because it is a common resource and nobody who rides the trail will personally lose anything by ruining the trail. If enough people have the same mindset that you do then the trail will probably be half of what it once was and at nobody's personal cost. But if you look at it from a communal sense, everbody loses because they all have to ride a deteriorated trail because of just a few selfish people.

The "tragedy of the commons" can be applied to many many more natural resources and has always been a problem. I know there's nothing we can really do to prevent people from riding/ruining the trails at inopportune times. I just hope that people will understand that they could be ruining trails for themselves and everyone else.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd
    Save it nancy. You may think you are the most "technically advanced" rider out there,honeslty though well, I thnk that I have said enough.
    Never said anything about that, just that this isn't a road biking forum.

Trail Rider

I went up there on a dry period between storms

Quote Originally Posted by Devine Intervention
    The damage at Sycamore is a shame. I won't ride there for a couple of weeks until that has dried out.

A friend of mine was proposing we head up to the Cuyamacas (Grand Loop) this weekend. I suspect we need to give the trails more time, especially the "new" single track and Middle Peak portions. Based on the recent level of rain, how long do you recommend we should wait before heading up?
    There was still a lot of water coming down the hills. There were a few muddy places. The big thing were the fallen trees. The abundance of rain this year has expediated the big heavy dead trees falling over. When they go down, they take 5-6 others with them. There is lots of hiking up through the brush to get around piles of trees. This is on the west side of the road. The east end was fine. Unless they have cut the piles of trees away, I wouldn't bother with Middle Peak or usually fun DH run. It makes for a shorter ride doing the single track and heading back down either Soapstone or the other fire road east of Soapstone.
    Don

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy
    Not quite, desert infant. The top half is on marked reservation land. While we have not been hassled about the trespassing at the top of ATT, it is trespassing.

This land is not public nor do our taxes go there. That is the reason casinos exist in California. Surely they taught you about these things in school. Or you can learn them when you get to the 8th grade......
    The bottom access is also trespassing. You've got members of the local trail advocacy group and MTB group tesspassing and posting pics of it. They also lecture others on trail damage and riding closed trails and ride arounds. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for waiting a week or more after a heavy rain. This trail used to be one of my favorite close in rides(near my house). Thanks to a few, it is now closed. The last time I rode it, after the Bofus nightmare, it had deteriorated a lot. I don't ride it anymore.
    Don

Sober for now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    K:

Thank you for finding that link.

I know those guys and I'll just say this(to them). You guys are experienced and well respected riders in the local MTB community. That said, you guys know better.

Just a suggestion...the next time it's raining as much as it did last sunday, stay on your own local trails(south Bay) and EFF them up.

Someone who frequents STR, would you please link this thread?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I had a killer ride out to the ATT. Don Juan is having a hard time with post ride cramping. seems his new G37 6 speed might be taxing his leg".

San Diego County

History lesson please Don

Can Don or anyone else please give me a brief history lesson of The Wall of Bofus. I can tell that the current bottom "access" is a graded lot for a future home that I seem to recall is for sale and then there will be no access at all. It looks to me that the bottom "access" has changed over the years because one home after another was added.

I don't actually ride there much because I don't shuttle anymore and I don't like to ride the asphalt either.

Chris in Sweetwater
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    Well, at least the equestrians stayed away!
    That would be an exception. Equestrians are usually riding just after a rain. Maybe they like the post-rain fresh air or they think the softer ground is easier on the horses but the net effect is after a rain you can count on even more trail damage.

mechmann_mtb
    honestly...

the questionably legal trail you guys are talking about (not the fire road, who gives an eff about a giant scar on the planet) is DH training for local racers. if you build features that attract the racer and adrenaline junky types, then expect them to train when they get a chance to ride something different. (mud)

i certainly didn't contribute to the damage, i was racing in the mud on legal trails at a sanctioned event. i guess my best feedback would be:

1. if there were no people riding the questionably legal trails at all, there would be no question as to whether or not there was damage

2. all the DH race poseurs should come out to the real races and test themselves against the clock on legal trails and sanctioned events.

i for one had a blast, covered in mud, going through tear-offs, slipping and sliding on the DH course in Fontana that day. totally new experience. racing in the mud ROCKS! unfortunately we don't get the opportunity to do that very often.

i don't condone damaging trails in the wet, but people are going to do it. either don't build the trails that attract riders, or live with it. just a fact of life. i appreciated the time that Aqua showed me this trail, it was tons of fun. i have not been back since and didn't share info on where the trail was.

by the way, i posted approximately the same thing on naSTy-aRgh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rckhopper87
    I have never been to this trail but I am assuming that it is a public trail and people are, for the most part, free to ride whenever they like. Correct me if I am wrong. Yes, people can go ride there when it's sunny, when it's cloudy, after it has rained and even while it's raining. I'm sure that there is nothing that I can legally do about it.

BUT!! Have you ever heard of "tragedy of the commons"? Your response to this entire scenario is exactly what could eventually be the demise of this trail. Basically the trail is a 'somewhat' limited common resource that everyone is free to use as much as they want and never have to pay anything to ride. I say 'somewhat' because it's not like if everyone rides the trail while it's muddy the trail will explode, just a much lesser version of itself. If everyone rides the trail when it is vulnerable it will be ruined. But nobody is really willing to do anything about it because it is a common resource and nobody who rides the trail will personally lose anything by ruining the trail. If enough people have the same mindset that you do then the trail will probably be half of what it once was and at nobody's personal cost. But if you look at it from a communal sense, everbody loses because they all have to ride a deteriorated trail because of just a few selfish people.

The "tragedy of the commons" can be applied to many many more natural resources and has always been a problem. I know there's nothing we can really do to prevent people from riding/ruining the trails at inopportune times. I just hope that people will understand that they could be ruining trails for themselves and everyone else.

Excellent point good sir!!

There are a lot of people in southern California that mountain bike. Many of which have drastically different opinions on subjects such as these. In reality all points can be argued as right or wrong. I would just like to make a point of caution. If you want to stop someone else from doing what they want with the land the be very prepared to be stopped from what you want to do with the land. Public, private, taxed or not...I am reasonably certain that none of you on this forum own this land, we all have the same rules and limitations regarding its use. We all have to share the sand box (so to speak) sometimes that means filling in the holes your classmates dug and moving on.

Just be careful of deeming someone else's opinion "wrong" the coin can be easily flipped. I think this is really just an argument of the morality of proper dirt displacement. Mountain bikes are meant to adapt to the terrain, thats why we buy bikes with shocks and gears (...luckyyyy!). If you want to ride off road on groomed trails, there is such an aspect of cycling and it is BMX, maountin cross, road, track....We are trail riders and we can adapt to tough terrain.

I would like to live in a world where we all get along and have the same goals. Well we don't. If you want to stop them from riding in the rain there are ways it can be done. But the likely side effect is you are going to loose some of you access to the land too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy

Sorry I missed my California gaming law and native American sovereignty law classes in 8th grade. What I do understand is that unless you own the land (sounds like you don't) you can't tell anyone else what they can or can't do on it. Not without a whole lot of paperwork, money, and hopefully a majority vote.

Be careful about implying responsibility for maintaining and or riding possibly "illegal trails". That seems, to me, to be a dicey move.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb

1. if there were no people riding the questionably legal trails at all, there would be no question as to whether or not there was damage

2. all the DH race poseurs should come out to the real races and test themselves against the clock on legal trails and sanctioned events.
    1. Excellent logic, if there were no humans at all we wouldn't have to worry about people riding trails too soon after rain either.

2. Spend $50 to race crappy courses so I can be called a 'real' racer, I did that for plenty long and I don't see any reason to do it now, I'll wait until there's a series with decent courses before spending my hard earned money to be a real racer. This will be happening soon enough.

How about this, have enough forethought to realized that riding a trail immediately after a rain storm is not a good idea, it helps erode the trail faster than it would normally and it gives/enforces the impression that bikers don't care about sustaining/improving their environment. Yes, you can ride a trail right after a rain if that's what you want to do, you can also split lanes on your motorcycle during a rain storm but it's probably not the best idea. We're not talking about taking away civil liberties here, we're talking about giving the sport a better image so that maybe we can work with land managers to open more trails or expand existing trail networks.

One more corny comment and then I'm out. If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.
    nothing witty here...

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    This thread brings up the question (at least in my mind): what is the latest with ATT access? I was hassled on the upper portion a few years ago by an overzealous female ranger. Last year I went to ATT to ride the lower half and had trouble finding the latest entrance b/c of the wall and all that crap (I know I should have just ridden farther up the road).

Where is the entrance now, and is there a hassle for riding the upper half anymore? I note the Indians just got a quadruple expansion of their slot machine limits due to the last propositions. Anything going on with this little corner of the reservation?

mechmann_mtb
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s
    2. Spend $50 to race crappy courses so I can be called a 'real' racer, I did that for plenty long and I don't see any reason to do it now, I'll wait until there's a series with decent courses before spending my hard earned money to be a real racer. This will be happening soon enough.
    don't really want to argue with you, because i think we are on the same side here. i choose to participate in the only local series because without it DH racing could die altogether in socal. then all that would be left would be XC and 12/24 hr stuff. you can be a real racer and never ever race at Fontana. just like real racers that ride Tunnel but never race Fontana. i was just saying that racers are attracted to these types of trails, and that the only legitimate reason i could come up with to ride these trails in the soup would be to train for real racing (UCI and such, there is at least one racer that lives in east county SD and will be on the UCI circuit this year). i will be stoked when there are more DH racing options in socal!!!!!

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    and that the only legitimate reason i could come up with to ride these trails in the soup would be to train for real racing.

How about this one?
    Racers and their wanna-be counterparts have nothing to do with it. It was just inappropriate and a poor judgement call to be riding that area that day, with that amount of precipitation falling. It shouldn't be that hard to wrap your head around that.

Speaking of which....I read the public apology that was posted on another forum. Hoser, you sir, are a standup guy and a class act!

Listen, I don't lay claim to "owning" this trail or any other. No one owes me an apology or even a pat on the back. It's just a matter of respect for that privilege to play there. When I ride someones else's "home turf"... I always make a mental note to really appreciate the time and effort that those unsung heros that built or maintain that particular trail have undertaken.

If you were on a trail, pick any trail....and you rode something poorly and damaged it. Say for example, that some rocks got misplaced, or straightlined a turn, ripping apart a berm, ..... Ask yourself, would you take the time to stop, laydown your bike, and attempt to make a repair...or are you just in too much of a flow state to bother?

rckhopper87 I really apppreciate your comments...very elequently stated.

2W4S:
    BINGO!/GCBY!
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 02-29-2008 at 01:42 PM.

mechmann_mtb
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic

How about this one?
    Racers and their wanna-be counterparts have nothing to do with it. It was just inappropriate and a poor judgement call to be riding that area that day, with that amount of precipitation falling. It shouldn't be that hard to wrap your head around that.

Speaking of which....I read the public apology that was posted on another forum. Hoser, you sir, are a standup guy and a class act!

Believe me, I don't have any problems wrapping my head around concepts. Sometimes it is hard to practice what we preach. I am on your side though, and truly wish that we could all just ride what we wanted when we wanted without squabbling, unfortunately it doesn't work out like that. Maybe we will get to ride together again some time soon. My new big wheeler should be done soon.

One thing I don't get, I remember when you used to cringe at people mentioning the trails around ATT out loud. I guess you have gotten over it since so many people insist on talking about it. I know I personally sent hate mail to the guy that posted it on Egoladders. I have quite fond memories of riding that trail with you long ago. I sincerely hope that with all this increased traffic you are able to maintain your access and keep progressing. I know you put tons of hours and your heart into it, I have yet to find a trail I feel that way about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast