Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Chumash to Hummingbird

Anyone on here done it recently?

As an intermediate rider, provided I ride within my limits do I need to worry about anything going down Hummingbird?

I plan on picking up some G-form armor (knees, elbows, and undershirt) but I'm not planning on bringing a full face.

Thanks in advance. I'll be riding with a more experienced rider, who I will be following lines behind.

mtbr member
    Just did a ride up Chumash, down Hummingbird yesterday. The climb up Chumash is kind of tough, especially if you expect to clear some of the tech on the upper half. From Chumash to Hummingbird on Rocky Peak is super fun - a little bit of climbing, but some wide open chunky stuff where you can really fly. It's in very good shape.

Hummingbird is doable by an intermediate rider, no problem. There may be a feature or two where you decide walking is the better option, but that's cool. I rode all the way down on a hardtail the first time, as an intermediate rider. Be advised, there are a bunch of cutouts on the switchback sections of the trail - don't take these. When in doubt, go "the long way", if that makes sense. Better to use the reps on the tougher stuff than to ride in such a way that could get the trail closed.

In terms of gear, I'm using POC knee pads and 661 recon helmet. If it's your first time, ride with the gear you listed - you'll probably feel more confident with it all on, which is super important when you're coming up to something you might not be sure how to ride.

Glad to Be Alive
    Hummingbird is really loose right now...rode it the last 2 days...it's a shame all the clowns on strava racing down the trail cutting all the turns....the turns make you better...all the cuts are tearing apart the trail.....rumors have it that soon there will be consequences for cutting the trail... look for Simi TrailBlazers everywhere
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the responses guys, very helpful. I'll keep it between the lines and bring the armor, ride within my limits and walk when I need

mtbr member

Chumash to Hummingbird

When are you riding? I'll be up there on Wednesday - climbing Chumash by 6.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'll be out the weekend of Labor day with a friend from work, not sure which day yet. I live in Santa Monica, so it's not too far for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I ride those trails all the time. As far as gear bring whatever you have, I don't think a full face is necessary. Both trails are great trails and Im sure you guys will enjoy them. SMT is right Hummingbird is real loose right now, so please stay on the switchback all the way down! I usually ride super early in the morning and don't come across many riders, but let me just say that my friends and I keep to the trail and keep each other on the trail using the evil strava!!

Over the Hill
    What does Strava have to do with whatever you're talking about?

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Club Mud View Post
    What does Strava have to do with whatever you're talking about?
    The "Stravites" compete to be "KOM" (King of the mountain, meaning they have the fastest time) for a given trail, loop or ride. They create short cuts to race down as fast as they can. This ultimately destroys the integrity of the original trail. Strava should be illegal, IMO.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am saying that by deviating from the trial and choosing a straight line down the hill you end up riding a different segment. So the competition between friends is on the full trail with no cut lines. As far as it being illegal that is retarded, Im sure your for strict gun control laws and bans on fattening food too right?

mtbr member

Chumash to Hummingbird

Quote Originally Posted by RideMX104 View Post
    I am saying that by deviating from the trial and choosing a straight line down the hill you end up riding a different segment. So the competition between friends is on the full trail with no cut lines. As far as it being illegal that is retarded, Im sure your for strict gun control laws and bans on fattening food too right?
    RideMX is right. Strava doesn't give you credit for what you don't ride. For the people sanitizing Suicide, Strava may be a motivating factor because the route is the same, sanitized or not. Other than for lack of skill, I don't see why one would cut HB.

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMX104 View Post
    Was that directed at me? I'm referring to the little short cuts (off shoots) that are illegally added to an existing trail which defaces it, damages it, changes it. It sounds like you are saying something totally different?

This was happening LONG before Strava was around but Strava has accelerated the issue.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member

Chumash to Hummingbird

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Was that directed at me? I'm referring to the little short cuts (off shoots) that are illegally added to an existing trail which defaces it, damages it, changes it. It sounds like you are saying something totally different?
    In your earlier post you implied that cutting the trail gets you faster Strava times. MX is pointing out that Strava leader boards are based on particular routes. If you take a single cutout, you will not have run the same route as someone who took all of the switchbacks, and won't be placed on the same leader board as someone who did. Taking the cutouts doesn't get you a faster time, since you're not traveling the same route.

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    In your earlier post you implied that cutting the trail gets you faster Strava times. MX is pointing out that Strava leader boards are based on particular routes. If you take a single cutout, you will not have run the same route as someone who took all of the switchbacks, and won't be placed on the same leader board as someone who did. Taking the cutouts doesn't get you a faster time, since you're not traveling the same route.
    I have my doubts that it's that accurate. If I took a cut that was 2 feet shy of a turn because it was a faster way through that turn, you are saying Strava would recognize that tiny deviation?
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    +1 exactly!

mtbr member

Chumash to Hummingbird

I have my doubts that it's that accurate. If I took a cut that was 2 feet shy of a turn because it was a faster way through that turn, you are saying Strava would recognize that tiny deviation?
    Well, it's a crap shoot. If its as tiny as you say, then it might keep you on the main route, but it also might put you on a different route. Many of those cutouts deviate more like 15-30 feet, which will definitely be picked up by Strava. I'm sure there's a finite tolerance, but accuracy can be an issue, so I'm not sure what make of that.

Edit: I'm already drunk (St. Bernardus) - I don't know what I was thinking. It's not going to pick up a 2' deviation. But 10', 15', 30', for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Never mind it sounds like you haven't been on the trail. Were talking 20' not 2'.

King of Middle Earth
    Well, it's a crap shoot. If its as tiny as you say, then it might keep you on the main route, but it also might put you on a different route. Many of those cutouts deviate more like 15-30 feet, which will definitely be picked up by Strava. I'm sure there's a finite tolerance, but accuracy can be an issue, so I'm not sure what make of that.
    My apologies. I've never even ridden this trail system before so I had no idea the cut out were that big. Yikes! I was thinking more of switch backs where there is a little cut out a few feet before the actual turn.

I'm gonna b!tch about how badly the Stravites tear trails up in an effort to get through them as fast as possible, including racing down narrow single track. I witnessed this myself this past weekend while dropping down the Plunge.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member

Chumash to Hummingbird

My apologies. I've never even ridden this trail system before so I had no idea the cut out were that big. Yikes! I was thinking more of switch backs where there is a little cut out a few feet before the actual turn.

I'm gonna b!tch about how badly the Stravites tear trails up in an effort to get through them as fast as possible, including racing down narrow single track. I witnessed this myself this past weekend while dropping down the Plunge.
    I use Strava on every ride, but I never let it effect my trail manners, especially when I'm going downhill. I like to time my climbs, mostly to see if/how much stronger I'm getting. The Chumash climb is my current b!tch-of-a-climb. If I can get that down to 30 minutes, I'll be happy as hell.

I think unless you're paying for access to a trail or doing regular work on a trail, you don't have a right to tear it up, and nobody has a right to endanger other riders. Strava motivates a-holes, but it also has plenty of users who keep its merits in perspective.

mtbr member
    I witnessed this myself this past weekend while dropping down the Plunge.
    I may have missed a few switchbacks, but it wasn't because of strava!
    definite malingerer

King of Middle Earth
    I use Strava on every ride, but I never let it effect my trail manners, especially when I'm going downhill. I like to time my climbs, mostly to see if/how much stronger I'm getting. The Chumash climb is my current b!tch-of-a-climb. If I can get that down to 30 minutes, I'll be happy as hell.

I think unless you're paying for access to a trail or doing regular work on a trail, you don't have a right to tear it up, and nobody has a right to endanger other riders. Strava motivates a-holes, but it also has plenty of users who keep its merits in perspective.
    I use Garmin myself, so I certainly can see how these tracking devices are helpful. But I only race myself, within the limits of what I am capable of and in consideration of the trail and others using the trail.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    I may have missed a few switchbacks, but it wasn't because of strava!
    Well, at least you're honest.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I rode down Hummingbird for the first time in like a year a few weeks ago, I was shocked how much of the trail had off shoots now. As for the Strava comments, you only have to match 75% of the segment to be considered riding on that segment.

mtbr member

Chumash to Hummingbird

Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    I rode down Hummingbird for the first time in like a year a few weeks ago, I was shocked how much of the trail had off shoots now. As for the Strava comments, you only have to match 75% of the segment to be considered riding on that segment.
    I know for sure that's not accurate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I know for sure that's not accurate.
    https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2...atching-issues

"The most common reason a segment doesn’t match on a ride or run is because of GPS drift that occurred during recording of your activity. When we determine that a segment matches your activity, we look first at the start and endpoints, and make sure your data passes through those zones. Second, we make sure that at least 75% of the data in between matches the segment data. If any of these cases come up false, the segment will not match your activity or appear on your activity."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast