mtbr member
    Jul 2012

chino hills state park

Ive never ridin chino hills before and am thinking about taking my 12 year old son with me.
    Neither of us are in great shape or are skilled riders and I dont know where to go there period, let alone a good route for riders like us.
    Can anyone suggest where to ride?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Park off of Carbon Canyon Road. You can ask the ranger for a trail map or download the park map here
    Chino Hills SP
    For a beginner stay on the Telegraph Canyon Trail. Its nice not hilly but a steady low low grade climb. Take it all the way to Four Corners then turn around and come back. Have fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Would I just be parking off the side of the road or in a parking lot?
    Having never been there, is the some sort of landmark to indicate the 4 corners? Just to make sure I dont miss it.
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Park in the lot. I think it's a 5 dollar fee but don't quote me on that. Four corners is called that because all the four major trails meet there. That's kind of a break point for folks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    For most of Telegraph you're under the trees, after a climb, you will come into an open area where the trails converge, that will be 4 corners

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Some people park off Carbon Cyn next to the entrance, there are a few dirt spots. But I don't know the legality. If I am being cheap I park on Vesuvius or Wabash just east of Rose. The 2nd option, lets you ride near the Sequoias in the back of Carbon Cyn Park. Check out google maps for the location of the dirt.
    I agree that Telegraph is a great intro trail.

Warrior's Society
    Park in the Carbon Canyon Park parking lot, go left all the way down to the end.....you will see other bikes. The trail goes out the end and across a parking lot. Telegraph is a large fire road. Goes up 6 miles/ gains 700' vertical feet or so to 4 Corners. You know you are there....there is a portable sh*tter there. Turn around and come back down. You can't get lost......unless you are on drugs. :-)
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ^^In between the park and the trailhead there is the new Discovery Center which is an add-on to the park. You can also park here for a fee.
    Follow the path across a bridge-like thing and continue straight on to Telegraph Trail. (Do not turn left UP the trail - that is Northridge which is much steeper).
    And there is no more port-a-potty at 4-Corners; just a kiosk with info and a covered picnic table.
    Enjoy!

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by H2oChick View Post
    ^^In between the park and the trailhead there is the new Discovery Center which is an add-on to the park. You can also park here for a fee.
    Follow the path across a bridge-like thing and continue straight on to Telegraph Trail. (Do not turn left UP the trail - that is Northridge which is much steeper).
    And there is no more port-a-potty at 4-Corners; just a kiosk with info and a covered picnic table.
    Enjoy!

It was there on Easter Sunday.....
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by allroy71 View Post
    Some people park off Carbon Cyn next to the entrance, there are a few dirt spots. But I don't know the legality. If I am being cheap I park on Vesuvius or Wabash just east of Rose. The 2nd option, lets you ride near the Sequoias in the back of Carbon Cyn Park. Check out google maps for the location of the dirt.
    I agree that Telegraph is a great intro trail.
    Sequoias, in SoCal? No kidding?
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    It was there on Easter Sunday.....
    It was there Yesterday. I was at 4 corners. They must have put it back...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I guess they knew you were coming! It was not there 2-3 weeks ago when we were there - certainly a better option than trying to avoid the critters in the bushes!

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Parking is really easy. Just go a about 3/4 mile past the park entrance on Hwy 142. You will go over a small rise on the road. As you drop back down, there is ample parking on the side fo the road next to the boundry fence. It is legal and I have never had a problem.

To find the trail head, just follow the fence back the way you came by car and you will see the trail heading into the park. It will drop down into a small creek (dry yesterday) and climb up the other side. You will pop out at the gate and intersection of Telegraph Canyon and North Rim trail. Stay on the flat fire road and you will wind your way up (6 miles) to Four Corners.

From there, if you feel like it, take the single track heading SW from the keosk. It climbs up to the South Rim road and you can take that back towards the begining of the canyon and drop back down to Telegraph. It is a 12 mile loop that is not too hard but will offer a challenge or two in a couple of sections. It makes for a great after work spin.

I did the loop Monday night with a novice and he did fine.

Carbon Canyon Ride Report

In the end, don't forget where that gate is you passed at the start of Telegraph Canyon Rd. The entrance to the trial back to your car is right there if you came that way. It is easy to miss as it is a bit hidden.

Have fun out there.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ray- the trees looked a little dry 2 weeks ago, but here is an article.

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/apr...cal/me-peeled5

mtbr member

Good job! Chino Hills Bane Canyon Entrance is Open!!!

After being closed for over a year for construction (that has halted in the middle), the Chino Hills side is now open for foot and bicycle traffic only. there is still a construction fence, but they made an opening for people and bikes!.

Entrance Info
    elinvar and sapphire, chino hills - Google Maps
    Will Climb for Downhill

2013 Giant Trance X1 29er