Thread: Chino Hills SP

l337 |31k3r

Chino Hills SP

Does anyone want to make a little ride through the state park. Most likely lower aliso trail, or possibly skully ridge. Im not in tip top shape, and just want to get out there. weekend possibly, maby during this week if available.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramatica
    Does anyone want to make a little ride through the state park. Most likely lower aliso trail, or possibly skully ridge. Im not in tip top shape, and just want to get out there. weekend possibly, maby during this week if available.
    I just sent you a PM

DFM
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

i ride there every sunday...

i ride chino hills every sun. i usually start at rose and vesivious (off valenica blvd). and ride thru the carbon canyon parking lot...it's a easy 2 mile warm up before i hit northridge.

i take northridge all the way to the powerline singletrack down to 4 corners. then, hit raptor and cruise up southridge back to 4 corners, climb bovinian/tarantula and take southridge to the end and cool down to my car.

i think it's about 23 miles round trip. if i can do it on my ss, you can do it with gears. if i feel good, then i'll usually climb to san juan hill on southridge after raptor, and go down tarantula/bovinian and head back up bovinian to southridge to telegraph.

i start at 7am sundays. pm me if you'd like to join me.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gramatica

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just as a heads up. It's Rattlesnake time of the year so keep an eye out. I have seen, (and almost run over) at least one good size rattler on each of my last three rides in the park. Going to ride today, and hoping I don't see number 4.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I worry more about the coyotes

I usually rdie Chino Hills at lunchtime and I've seen at least 20 rattlesnakes over the past few months. I can ride by them pretty quickly before they can react. I think it's pretty cool seeing a rattlesnake on a ride.
    Coyotes worry me more than snakes. They will stand right there on the trail a few feet away as i ride past. I worry that they will bolt out in front of me and send me flying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dkr92886
    I usually rdie Chino Hills at lunchtime and I've seen at least 20 rattlesnakes over the past few months. I can ride by them pretty quickly before they can react. I think it's pretty cool seeing a rattlesnake on a ride.
    Coyotes worry me more than snakes. They will stand right there on the trail a few feet away as i ride past. I worry that they will bolt out in front of me and send me flying.

I hear ya man. One of the snakes I encountered on Raptor ridge was lying across the track. No other options than to run over an aim for the head or lay on the binders in a big hurry. I managed to stop about 6-8 feet before the snake and freeze for a moment. Then got off and walked around him. He was just chillin'.

As for the coyotes, I don't really worry about them too much, although I have almost been taken out by a fox. My wife was riding in front of me by about 100-200 feet and scared a fox that booked it down the hill right in front of me. That wouldn't have been pretty.

My best encounter was comming down Telegraph one afternoon and riding right past a bobcat. He was just standing in the shade and actually startled me as I didn't see him until I came into the shade from the sun (glare issue). He didn't really even move and I was no more than 8-10 feet away from him. I just said "hey kitty" and kept rollin'. Bobcats are curious by nature and pose no threat to us, but it still startled me to be that close to one. He was definately used to humans.

If nothing else, all the coyote poo on the fireroads makes for some fun as I try to flick a turd or two on a tarantula from time to time.

l337 |31k3r

Some trail out there.

I was riding somewhere out there, and had my front wheel wash out on me. Turns out I landed right next to a rattle snake, all curled up and rattlin at me. I somehow found a way to stay calm, and just slowly got up and walked away with my bike. On another instance I saw a bobcat also. It was about 25' away from me after I finished this small set of switchbacks right off of skully ridge, just looking at me, and I get back on my bike, ride away, he takes off. For a momoent I thought he was planning some kinda sting mission on me. In all actuality I was lonely for the rest of the ride, so no sting.